Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 444

post #6646 of 6655

Somewhere between this morning and this afternoon my E17 AUX stopped working. When I went to use it after work, the word "dock" pops on the screen and only 3 inputs are available; OPT, COX and USB. What happened?


Edited by vipervick - 5/19/15 at 6:41am
post #6647 of 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post
 

Somewhere between this morning and this afternoon my E17 AUX stopped working. When I went to use it after work, the work "dock" pops on the screen and only 3 inputs are available; OPT, COX and USB. What happened?


Did you try resetting it. Most of the problems I had with my E17 goes away after resetting. Hope it's not a hardware related problem.

post #6648 of 6655

You need to use the USB to get the digital signal to DAC. AUX wont utilize the DAC.

 

I don't have E09K but my E17 works fine with android phones. I have tried several ones. You need some player that supports like Onkyo HF player or HiBy Music.

You need to use a OTG cable and connect your E17 to it via usb cable.

 

***Remember to run the music app first and connect E17 in turned on condition. Or it does not work with most phone.

 

Let us know if it helps.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autoholic View Post

So I tried to set up the E17+E09K combo with my phone. I docked the E17 in lo-bypass mode to the E09K, and attempted to use it with my smartphone with the USB OTG cable. The phone acts like nothing is plugged in, and proceeds to use it's own speakers. In my ignorance and excitement, I assumed that it would work because the E09K runs off DC power, and the phone would be 'streaming' to the E17 DAC, which in turn would be amped by the E09K.

So what now?

The obvious answer would be to plug a 3.5mm to RCA cable from my smartphone's headphone jack to the AUX IN the E09K. Would I be using the E17's DAC this way? Or would I be double amping?

Another option before I bought the E09K was to track down a Fiio L7 Line Out Dock to utilize the DAC portion of my E17 and let an O2 or something similarly priced do the amping. I can still return the E09K. If I did this, could I then use my smartphone via USB OTG through the L7?

Or is there another way? Thanks in advance! smily_headphones1.gif
post #6649 of 6655
Theoretically, everything that gets out of the phone's stereo jack is already amped. So yes, it would be double amped and you won't hear the pure FiiO sound..
post #6650 of 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoholic View Post



Another option before I bought the E09K was to track down a Fiio L7 Line Out Dock to utilize the DAC portion of my E17 and let an O2 or something similarly priced do the amping. I can still return the E09K. If I did this, could I then use my smartphone via USB OTG through the L7?
 

yea that should work. Your phone ----> L7 LOD+E17 -----> amp via aux/line in. 

 

I would help you test it out but i don't have usb otg and my smartphone doesn't support it :(


Edited by imeem - 5/19/15 at 5:53am
post #6651 of 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiko7 View Post
 


Did you try resetting it. Most of the problems I had with my E17 goes away after resetting. Hope it's not a hardware related problem.

Resetting did not help. AUX is no longer an input option.

post #6652 of 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiko7 View Post

You need to use the USB to get the digital signal to DAC. AUX wont utilize the DAC.

 

I don't have E09K but my E17 works fine with android phones. I have tried several ones. You need some player that supports like Onkyo HF player or HiBy Music.

You need to use a OTG cable and connect your E17 to it via usb cable.

 

***Remember to run the music app first and connect E17 in turned on condition. Or it does not work with most phone.

 

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks. I actually have no trouble using my smartphone with the E17 via USB OTG, and my phone's stock music app works just fine.

What I'm trying to do is use my smartphone via USB OTG with the E17 and E09K (docked).

The E17 on it's own sounds great, but the E17+E09K combo sounds excellent. I was skeptical before buying the E09K, but not anymore. Even my 50ohm HD598 is significantly improved, never mind my HD650 and HE-400. I just don't want to be limited to this level of sound quality only when I'm on my laptop.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiNicolae View Post

Theoretically, everything that gets out of the phone's stereo jack is already amped. So yes, it would be double amped and you won't hear the pure FiiO sound..


Thanks. Yes, that makes sense. I would prefer to hear the 'pure Fiio sound', but it looks like it's impossible to do with an E17+E09K combo and a smartphone. I can only use that combo with a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem View Post

yea that should work. Your phone ----> L7 LOD+E17
> amp via aux/line in. 

I would help you test it out but i don't have usb otg and my smartphone doesn't support it frown.gif


Thanks, if all else fails, I may go that route. The only problem is locating an L7 LOD. It's discontinued, and appears to be sold out everywhere but an audio shop in Australia who may or may not want to ship to Canada.

Can anyone here confirm that the above setup would work? smily_headphones1.gif
post #6653 of 6655

I use the 30-pin LOD for my ipod classic. It used to work great until yesterday.

post #6654 of 6655
Good news guys...it's working now! smily_headphones1.gif

Xperia Z3 --> USB OTG --> E09K with E17 docked in 'Lo-Bypass' mode.

This is what I did before, but it wasn't working. So what happened here? Why is it suddenly working now? Well, I turned on the E17/E09K before plugging it into my phone. That's literally the only thing I did different, and it's working. I can't believe it was something so simple...

Thanks again for the help guys! smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Autoholic - 5/19/15 at 9:28pm
post #6655 of 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoholic View Post

Good news guys...it's working now! smily_headphones1.gif

Xperia Z3 --> USB OTG --> E09K with E17 docked in 'Lo-Bypass' mode.

This is what I did before, but it wasn't working. So what happened here? Why is it suddenly working now? Well, I turned on the E17/E09K before plugging it into my phone. That's literally the only thing I did different, and it's working. I can't believe it was something so simple...

Thanks again for the help guys! smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to hear it!!! Nothing like getting your home/desktop listening situation sorted out beautifully. Enjoy man. I'm loving my E17 right now. I use it for travel. Simple pairing with my I pod nano with 24/192 files via aux paired also with the Sony MDR z7's.
wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought