Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/21/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Prologue: Lets start with a story of a young man on a desperate mission to rediscover the beauty of music. Long long ago there was a man a man named Dan he had a plan to try a DAC but many...
You can read my detailed look @ these here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/50947-audio-technica-ws-55i-black-the-best-bang-for-buck-portable-headphones/
Admittedly, I took far too long to post this review. I wanted to try a different approach that involved becoming accustomed to the signature followed by a period without them, and then a...
FiiO has been quite successful with their X series of high resolution digital audio player. So much so that perhaps even they themselves didn’t anticipate that the company will have to shift its...
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 440post #6586 of 659011/4/14 at 5:49pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6587 of 659011/6/14 at 10:27am
12 db seems like it would cause clipping if you're using the e17 as both a dac and an amp. I think it is meant for use with an ipod's line out. It's 1.25v rms for 0db, and 2.5v for 6db, and the device has a maximum output of 2.5v, so you can't really use the +12db usually.
Also, let's talk about the display. I've read that the dac can only specify 3 sample rates - 44.1/48khz, 88/96khz, 176khz/192khz. However the display also reports bit depth, which it has no way of knowing...why?
Edited by mindbomb - 11/15/14 at 9:22ampost #6588 of 659011/22/14 at 2:58pmpost #6589 of 659011/22/14 at 3:18pmDepends on what kind and at what levels we are talking... you may have some noise issues from the usual suspects (poor ground etc..) that is not really the E17's fault.
But yeah, it's not exactly silent, there is an audible noise floor, and while it is better than what you find in cheap cellphones and a lot of laptops, I wouldn't say it's that great.post #6590 of 659011/22/14 at 11:41pmFigured it out. MacBook Pro iTunes sampling issue was the problem. Still would like to use iTunes but when just playing the file, optical and USB out don't have distortion. It was just a matter of finding the audio midi setup and adjusting the format. iTunes is still tricky though. But playing files directly (from the desktop) works fine.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › [FS][CONUS] Fischer FA-003 TI, Mad Dogs 3.2, Alpha Dogs (latest... 30 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 33 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 2 minutes ago
- › Dynamic range compression of classical music. 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D 4 minutes ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 4 minutes ago
- › SOLD: 20-25hrs NVX EX10S Dynamic IEMS (VSonic VR06 rebrands) 4 minutes ago
- › Meridian Explorer by dnun8086
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by ClieOS
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)