Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 430

post #6436 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

No. You will get 24bit 96kHz max from USB connection.

i use optical and for sum reason, it outputs in 32 bit in Jriver media center. 

post #6437 of 6544

Speaking of optical, does anyone have any experience with the FIIO L12 3.5 to 3.5 optical cable? Considering picking one up to use with my Macbook so I can take advantage of the optical signal instead of using the USB. 

 

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000018364884&MenuID=105026009

post #6438 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpride View Post
 

Speaking of optical, does anyone have any experience with the FIIO L12 3.5 to 3.5 optical cable? Considering picking one up to use with my Macbook so I can take advantage of the optical signal instead of using the USB. 

 

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000018364884&MenuID=105026009

 

There's no difference (at least I doubt anyone will be able to hear it, it's digital anyways) to an ordinary optical cable + the included converter.

 

The only reason to get it is that you're sick of removing the converter from the optical cable and afraid of breakage. But yeah, it's a convenient cable I guess, but other than convenience there's no reason to get it.

post #6439 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenkr View Post
 

 

There's no difference (at least I doubt anyone will be able to hear it, it's digital anyways) to an ordinary optical cable + the included converter.

 

The only reason to get it is that you're sick of removing the converter from the optical cable and afraid of breakage. But yeah, it's a convenient cable I guess, but other than convenience there's no reason to get it.

 

I am currently not using an optical cable.  Signal from my Macbook to my e17 is through the USB. My question:  is it worth getting an optical cable instead of using the USB. 

post #6440 of 6544
Only if you want 24/192 playback through the E17.
post #6441 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpride View Post
 

 

I am currently not using an optical cable.  Signal from my Macbook to my e17 is through the USB. My question:  is it worth getting an optical cable instead of using the USB. 

 

Nope.

USB = digital.

Optical = digital.

 

There isn't going to be a difference. Perhaps if your power source is dirty (your Macbook), it could create unwanted pops, hiss and distortion when you move your mouse. That's unlikely however, since Macbooks are generally well designed and the E17 runs off its battery anyways.

 

The only other use is that if you play games and you're using a DSP like Dolby Heapdhone and want to output that to the E17, otherwise nope no point to the optical cable.

post #6442 of 6544
Thread Starter 

TOSlink (optical) can have higher jitter than USB (and often it is in many case), but whether it will be significant enough to be audible or not is another matter. But as pointed out, using TOSlink avoid the problem of dirty USB.

post #6443 of 6544
As far as the amp goes which do you prefer and why the E11 or the E17? I don't care about the DAC of the E17 only the amp. Thanks in advance.
post #6444 of 6544
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post

As far as the amp goes which do you prefer and why the E11 or the E17? I don't care about the DAC of the E17 only the amp. Thanks in advance.

 

Is this a question for me? I don't actually find one to be superior to the other. Besides E11 is a bit more warmish while the E17 is slightly more neutral (while still on the warm side), the difference in performance is small between the amp sections.

post #6445 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post

As far as the amp goes which do you prefer and why the E11 or the E17? I don't care about the DAC of the E17 only the amp. Thanks in advance.

 

Honestly, the E17. I found the E11 to be too dark.

But the entire point of buying an E17 is versatility and that's pretty much the sole reason you have to decide on if you're planning to have either.

 

But honestly if you don't care about the DAC on the E17, why not just head for the E12 instead?

post #6446 of 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Is this a question for me? I don't actually find one to be superior to the other. Besides E11 is a bit more warmish while the E17 is slightly more neutral (while still on the warm side), the difference in performance is small between the amp sections.
Yes it was directed at you, but anyone who has both can answer. So is there a huge sonic difference? I had the E17 a while back and liked it but if I can save 80 bucks I will. I have tried the E12 and did not like it as much as theE17 and the E12 is to big and way more power than I need.
post #6447 of 6544

I have the E11, E12 and E17 and I enjoy all three.

 

  • E11 is attached to the Colorfly C3 due to its low powered output for driving full size headphones.
  • E12 is attached to the X3 for when I want to listen with the DT880's, the E12 add the needed power that the X3 just cant quite deliver to those headphones.
  • E17 stays docked in my E09K as a desktop DAC and Line stage for my tube amplifier.

 

So I use them for different purposes, I really don't worry about minor sonic differences between the amplifiers as different headphones are used with all three rigs.

:beerchug:

post #6448 of 6544
Thanks Troll, so how do you like the E11 overall than? Do you find it dark or warm. How do you think it would pair with an iPod classic?
post #6449 of 6544
I run the C3 with my JVC HAS500's and Ultrasone HFI780's with a lot of EDM, so a warm amplifier is a plus for me, Bass Boost setting 1 on the E11 and I'm good to go. Before the C3 I ran it with a 3rd Gen nano and the FiiO L9 LOD.

If you leave the Bass Boost off, I didn't find it that bad, it's no Zo2 by any means, if you need more power out of the Classic, the E11 should give you the boost you need depending on the headphones. Does not drive my beyer's at all but its's a $50 amplifier and there are not many at that price point that perform as well as the E11.

Pick it up from Amazon, if you don't like it send it back. biggrin.gif
post #6450 of 6544
I'm going to buy the E17 , I can get one new for 110.00. Thanks for the help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought