Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end...
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
- Headphone Impedance
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 426
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My E17 is broken due to accident so I can't answer your question. But a typical (Apple compatible) TRRS plug should work in E17 (as the plug should work almost universally), just that the mic won't work since E17 doesn't have any hardware inside to support mic.
hey i was doing some sound quality comparison between optical and USB @ the same bitrate and sample rate, I find that for me, optical improves the bass response, makes my music sound "fuller", and it's a lot louder than USB @ the same volume. For USB, there's less bass, quieter, but the highs/vocals seems to stand out more. You could say that it sounds like it has been EQ'd.
Do you notice a similar difference between USB and optical? I was actually surprised that i could hear differences and i thought it was my new amp for my speaker.
Can't remember, I use mine at work these days, but have no optical source there...
How would you guys describe the difference between the amp section and anything else between the e17 and e07k? I'm about to upgrade because of the optical in and I'm wondering if id be getting any thing else in return.
The screen on the E17 stays on all the time unless you use the hold button, so you will end up with burnin down the road.
i'm comparing the battery life between optical and USB. With optical, the E17 dies after ~7 hours and 47 minutes of continuous use. With USB, i'm still testing it and so far it has been 13 hours and there is still 4 bars left.
Testing it with L7 LOD and USB charging off of course.
Edited by imeem - 3/23/14 at 12:53pm
i emailed Fiio and they said that USB and optical is suppose to have identical battery life. Right now, USB in is approaching 18 hours. Still has 4 bars.
If so, it is weird that the "spdif in" use more battery compare to the "usb in". OK, pls do more comparison between spdif and USB and check whether the E17 is OK. The battery life should about 10 hours or more.
got another update from Fiio. Seems like some customer service agent are misinformed, but this one confirm that USB charging off still charges a little.
Thanks for your mail and support to FiiO!
Kindly inform you that, this result is normal. Your E17 is OK.
If you use E17 work as a DAC via USB port, the power for most of the chips still from USB port but not battery even though USB CHG be set as OFF. USB CHG be set as OFF can stop the battery be charged but can't stop the power supply from the computer.
If you use "spdif in", the power for all of the chips come from only the battery.
So the power consumption of the "spdif in" and the "usb in" is the same, but the power come from different paths.
If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
Have a nice day! ^_^
FiiO Customer Service
one question, what device was the E17 originally designed for? I ask this because judging from the accessories (short cables, the rubber band) it comes with, it's meant for mp3 players and ipods. But not all of them support LOD.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 8 seconds ago
- › LG G3 as a portable source? 32 seconds ago
- › Headroom Micro DAC (portable battery edition) 1 minute ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 1 minute ago
- › [Review] Sennheiser IE800: Appreciation, Frustration and a bunch of... 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 3 minutes ago
- › Bookshelf speaker orientation help 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)