Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
In my search for a good pair of earbuds, these where my next try. Better than the previous maxell I bought, but definitely the search must keep going. My ratings are; Bass 2/5,...
Grado SR80i Intro Thingy: I was wondering if I should even review the SR80i because Grado's e series cans came out not too long ago and I was thinking noone would heed my review 'cause the...
After being impressed with the value of the MEElectronics M6 Pro, I wanted to take a look at a bassier IEM from the same company. The M-Duo is a dual dynamic driver earphone with a separate...
Equipment Spotify Premium Firestone Audio Fubar 2 DAC Firestone Audio Cute Battery 2 amp Build and comfort I upgraded to these from Audio-Technica ATH-M50s. I very much like the sound...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 424post #6346 of 66442/13/14 at 3:31pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6347 of 66442/14/14 at 1:12amQuote:Originally Posted by Sushisamurai
Eg: plug in something that manually draws more than 5V in a Mac, the OS (mavericks) will tell you it disconnected said device because it used too much power. Previous Mac OS's use to just disconnect but not tell users (frustrating for users), so they added that in for mavericks.
No, OSX has done this for a long time, not just with Mavericks. Here's a post from 2006 mentioning the message; http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=233661post #6348 of 66442/15/14 at 12:01am
Wondering what is the best way to go about increase volume and avoiding noise? For example I could go +60db at 0gain, or a lesser +db increase at 6gain, or even 12gain. Would putting the volume at max (60dB) cause any noise? What about gain?post #6349 of 66442/15/14 at 7:10ampost #6350 of 66442/15/14 at 9:05am
My brother has a Nexus 5 - I am wondering if someone can definitively tell me if the FiiO E17 Alpen will work with the Nexus 5 using a USB On the Go cable (OTG)
I am also wondering if there is an OTG cable that does the cleanest MiniUSB-MicroUSB?
Jpost #6351 of 66442/16/14 at 4:24pm
I know it depends on my setup, but in general, what are the chances of 12 gain presenting audio problems? (i.e. noise/distortion). 6 gain is fine but 12 gain is doubling it, so I'm worried the gain increase is too much. Am I being paranoid?post #6352 of 66442/16/14 at 5:17pmQuote:Have you tried these setting out? I like to have my volume controls around 50% for a good listening level. If 0 gain won't give me that then I switch to 6...
What source are you using and which headphones?post #6353 of 66442/16/14 at 6:29pmQuote:
I'm using the E17 with the HD598. My source is optical toslink from my TV (only to watch movies). 0 gain +60 volume wasn't loud enough so I did 6gain and +54 volume which is just loud enough. However one of my movies is lower volume so I know 6 gain +60 volume won't cut it, I would have to go 12 gain, that is why I'm asking this. (I have not tried 12 gain yet).
Edited by Stanfoo - 2/16/14 at 6:31pmpost #6354 of 66442/16/14 at 8:26pmI have to run my Colorfly C3 with a gain of 12 in the E17, does your TV provide an option to control the volume out of the toslink, maybe you need to turn that up some? When I hook the E17 through optical on my MacBook the volume on the MacBook is set to the recommended max level.post #6355 of 66442/17/14 at 6:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by TrollDragon
I have to run my Colorfly C3 with a gain of 12 in the E17, does your TV provide an option to control the volume out of the toslink, maybe you need to turn that up some? When I hook the E17 through optical on my MacBook the volume on the MacBook is set to the recommended max level.
When I try to change the volume via the TV remote, it only changes the TV's speakers volume, not the headphones/optical toslink volume.
I will just have to see myself how 12 gain works out for me.post #6356 of 66442/22/14 at 2:35am
I have movie A and movie B. Movie B's audio volume is noticeably lower than movie A (I can hear the difference, this is without the E17). However with the E17, movie B's audio level is the same as movie A. This is a good thing, I'm glad I don't have to up the gain for movie B.
I'm just wondering what is the technical reason for this?post #6357 of 66442/22/14 at 2:38pm
One possible explanation if it's a movie: it may have several audio tracks/mixes. Your computer-based player may default to the 5.1 mix (which may be at a lower level) via the built-in audio (maybe converted to stereo). If you run it through the E17 which accepts only pure stereo, it may switch to the actual stereo track which may be at a higher gain.
You can check this on most software players by looking in an "Audio" or similar menu which A) tells you if several mixes are available and B) lets you switch between them. Listen if the volume changes when switching between the tracks.post #6358 of 66442/22/14 at 4:23pmpost #6359 of 66442/24/14 at 10:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by talisman42
I have an issue with my Fiio e17... Since I do have it on often during the day (and night) it appears that the characters on the lcd screen has burned it? So if I scroll, the burned in text overlaps the other menu options as I scroll through them. Is this is known issue? Can fiio send me a fixed one? Thanks
Mine has burned in "USB 11" across the display in the same way you describe as well...
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 10 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 36 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Help! Choosing Headphones! 3 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 3 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 4 minutes ago
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by 1Infinity
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by 1Infinity
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2