What is the difference between "gain" and "volume"? Both makes the audio louder. What situations would I want to use one over the other?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on Yesterday at 11:27 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
- Headphone Impedance
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 424
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Eg: plug in something that manually draws more than 5V in a Mac, the OS (mavericks) will tell you it disconnected said device because it used too much power. Previous Mac OS's use to just disconnect but not tell users (frustrating for users), so they added that in for mavericks.
No, OSX has done this for a long time, not just with Mavericks. Here's a post from 2006 mentioning the message; http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=233661
Wondering what is the best way to go about increase volume and avoiding noise? For example I could go +60db at 0gain, or a lesser +db increase at 6gain, or even 12gain. Would putting the volume at max (60dB) cause any noise? What about gain?
My brother has a Nexus 5 - I am wondering if someone can definitively tell me if the FiiO E17 Alpen will work with the Nexus 5 using a USB On the Go cable (OTG)
I am also wondering if there is an OTG cable that does the cleanest MiniUSB-MicroUSB?
I know it depends on my setup, but in general, what are the chances of 12 gain presenting audio problems? (i.e. noise/distortion). 6 gain is fine but 12 gain is doubling it, so I'm worried the gain increase is too much. Am I being paranoid?
What source are you using and which headphones?
I'm using the E17 with the HD598. My source is optical toslink from my TV (only to watch movies). 0 gain +60 volume wasn't loud enough so I did 6gain and +54 volume which is just loud enough. However one of my movies is lower volume so I know 6 gain +60 volume won't cut it, I would have to go 12 gain, that is why I'm asking this. (I have not tried 12 gain yet).
Edited by Stanfoo - 2/16/14 at 6:31pm
I have to run my Colorfly C3 with a gain of 12 in the E17, does your TV provide an option to control the volume out of the toslink, maybe you need to turn that up some? When I hook the E17 through optical on my MacBook the volume on the MacBook is set to the recommended max level.
When I try to change the volume via the TV remote, it only changes the TV's speakers volume, not the headphones/optical toslink volume.
I will just have to see myself how 12 gain works out for me.
I have movie A and movie B. Movie B's audio volume is noticeably lower than movie A (I can hear the difference, this is without the E17). However with the E17, movie B's audio level is the same as movie A. This is a good thing, I'm glad I don't have to up the gain for movie B.
I'm just wondering what is the technical reason for this?
One possible explanation if it's a movie: it may have several audio tracks/mixes. Your computer-based player may default to the 5.1 mix (which may be at a lower level) via the built-in audio (maybe converted to stereo). If you run it through the E17 which accepts only pure stereo, it may switch to the actual stereo track which may be at a higher gain.
You can check this on most software players by looking in an "Audio" or similar menu which A) tells you if several mixes are available and B) lets you switch between them. Listen if the volume changes when switching between the tracks.
I have an issue with my Fiio e17... Since I do have it on often during the day (and night) it appears that the characters on the lcd screen has burned it? So if I scroll, the burned in text overlaps the other menu options as I scroll through them. Is this is known issue? Can fiio send me a fixed one? Thanks
Mine has burned in "USB 11" across the display in the same way you describe as well...
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 14 seconds ago
- › 2 phones or 1 on a $600 budget? 40 seconds ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Appreciation & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › headphones for the 55 and up crowd 5 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Frequencies, Hertz-es, Ohm-ses..tired of them ? Visit the FUN... 7 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 9 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-06-30) 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)