Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/770243/soundmagic-e50-e50s-review-by-mark2410 Brief: A middy...
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 424post #6346 of 66572/13/14 at 3:31pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6347 of 66572/14/14 at 1:12amQuote:Originally Posted by Sushisamurai
Eg: plug in something that manually draws more than 5V in a Mac, the OS (mavericks) will tell you it disconnected said device because it used too much power. Previous Mac OS's use to just disconnect but not tell users (frustrating for users), so they added that in for mavericks.
No, OSX has done this for a long time, not just with Mavericks. Here's a post from 2006 mentioning the message; http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=233661post #6348 of 66572/15/14 at 12:01am
Wondering what is the best way to go about increase volume and avoiding noise? For example I could go +60db at 0gain, or a lesser +db increase at 6gain, or even 12gain. Would putting the volume at max (60dB) cause any noise? What about gain?post #6349 of 66572/15/14 at 7:10ampost #6350 of 66572/15/14 at 9:05am
My brother has a Nexus 5 - I am wondering if someone can definitively tell me if the FiiO E17 Alpen will work with the Nexus 5 using a USB On the Go cable (OTG)
I am also wondering if there is an OTG cable that does the cleanest MiniUSB-MicroUSB?
Jpost #6351 of 66572/16/14 at 4:24pm
I know it depends on my setup, but in general, what are the chances of 12 gain presenting audio problems? (i.e. noise/distortion). 6 gain is fine but 12 gain is doubling it, so I'm worried the gain increase is too much. Am I being paranoid?post #6352 of 66572/16/14 at 5:17pmQuote:Have you tried these setting out? I like to have my volume controls around 50% for a good listening level. If 0 gain won't give me that then I switch to 6...
What source are you using and which headphones?post #6353 of 66572/16/14 at 6:29pmQuote:
I'm using the E17 with the HD598. My source is optical toslink from my TV (only to watch movies). 0 gain +60 volume wasn't loud enough so I did 6gain and +54 volume which is just loud enough. However one of my movies is lower volume so I know 6 gain +60 volume won't cut it, I would have to go 12 gain, that is why I'm asking this. (I have not tried 12 gain yet).
Edited by Stanfoo - 2/16/14 at 6:31pmpost #6354 of 66572/16/14 at 8:26pmI have to run my Colorfly C3 with a gain of 12 in the E17, does your TV provide an option to control the volume out of the toslink, maybe you need to turn that up some? When I hook the E17 through optical on my MacBook the volume on the MacBook is set to the recommended max level.post #6355 of 66572/17/14 at 6:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by TrollDragon
I have to run my Colorfly C3 with a gain of 12 in the E17, does your TV provide an option to control the volume out of the toslink, maybe you need to turn that up some? When I hook the E17 through optical on my MacBook the volume on the MacBook is set to the recommended max level.
When I try to change the volume via the TV remote, it only changes the TV's speakers volume, not the headphones/optical toslink volume.
I will just have to see myself how 12 gain works out for me.post #6356 of 66572/22/14 at 2:35am
I have movie A and movie B. Movie B's audio volume is noticeably lower than movie A (I can hear the difference, this is without the E17). However with the E17, movie B's audio level is the same as movie A. This is a good thing, I'm glad I don't have to up the gain for movie B.
I'm just wondering what is the technical reason for this?post #6357 of 66572/22/14 at 2:38pm
One possible explanation if it's a movie: it may have several audio tracks/mixes. Your computer-based player may default to the 5.1 mix (which may be at a lower level) via the built-in audio (maybe converted to stereo). If you run it through the E17 which accepts only pure stereo, it may switch to the actual stereo track which may be at a higher gain.
You can check this on most software players by looking in an "Audio" or similar menu which A) tells you if several mixes are available and B) lets you switch between them. Listen if the volume changes when switching between the tracks.post #6358 of 66572/22/14 at 4:23pmpost #6359 of 66572/24/14 at 10:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by talisman42
I have an issue with my Fiio e17... Since I do have it on often during the day (and night) it appears that the characters on the lcd screen has burned it? So if I scroll, the burned in text overlaps the other menu options as I scroll through them. Is this is known issue? Can fiio send me a fixed one? Thanks
Mine has burned in "USB 11" across the display in the same way you describe as well...
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › ZuperDac Crowd Funding. 2 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 8 seconds ago
- › Questyle QP1 27 seconds ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 49 seconds ago
- › Objectivists board room 59 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Looking to upgrade to orthos 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Aune B1 Impressions & Appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2