It sounds like it could be something to do with the audio settings on your MBP. I've had experience with having a lower bit rate setting causing distortion when listening through my E17.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 417post #6241 of 658211/9/13 at 9:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6242 of 658211/10/13 at 2:03ampost #6243 of 658211/10/13 at 12:03pm
I think it's working as it's supposed to now but I'm not 100% sure. Using the E17 most music genres seem to sound noticeably better than my laptop integrated sound but some rock music with electric guitarists purposely using distortion are almost not listenable, i.e. the E17 seems to make the electric guitar distortions more noticeable than before to the point where it's not as enjoyable. This is my first amp/DAC so I don't have any point of reference. Is this normal or does it sound like there's a fault with my unit?post #6244 of 658211/10/13 at 12:15pmpost #6245 of 658211/10/13 at 11:05pm
Hey guys, I own an E17 which I used with a pair of HD 598s. I'm currently away from my home for few months and have been using a laptop (instead of my normal desktop setup) with these. However, since I started using the setup with the laptop, I've noticed if I leave the amp plugged in via usb for any lengthy amount of time idle, there will be an incredible amount of static (sometimes to the point of being unbearable/total audio distortion) being outputted by the headphones regardless of what the audio type is. I'm using the same setup digitally as well (Foobar configuration/playback devices) I know it's not the headphones, as the static will go away if I unplug/replug the amp. I also know it's not the cord, as I've tested it with a spare. In addition, I've tested another USB port, and the problem still persists.
As a note, when audio is being played, the static never comes, it's just when it's idling. The Fiio will also tend to flash "lock" when it happens. I've only had the amp/headphones since February, but have used them heavily since then.
Edited by V00DEW - 11/10/13 at 11:07pmpost #6246 of 658211/10/13 at 11:29pmpost #6247 of 658211/10/13 at 11:39pmQuote:
Actually, I totally didn't even think of that. Doing this wont cause any major changes that I'll have to reconfigure though, correct?post #6248 of 658211/11/13 at 2:24ampost #6249 of 658211/11/13 at 6:16ampost #6250 of 658211/12/13 at 2:50pm
My E17 suddenly stopped working through optical, on any sample rate! This happened after switching from home theater (also optic) back to E17. It was working before that When I connect it, the display doesn't flash like usually, and headphones just start producing crackling noise. No other sounds. This happened to me when I was trying higher sample rates on PS3, but never on PC. USB works fine. Connections should be snug too. Nothing changed after system restart too.
Is it broken?post #6251 of 658211/12/13 at 3:07pmpost #6252 of 658211/12/13 at 3:24pmpost #6253 of 658211/13/13 at 7:52pmQuote:
Would you mind posting a link for it? (Monoprice has a nice short thin optical cable for a few bucks)post #6254 of 658211/13/13 at 8:23pmQuote:
Sorry, I thought mine came from Monoprice but it was actually B&H Photo Video.
or Full Compass
Nice thin little cable comes with standard ends if you need to plug it into a 3.5 mm TRS jack then pick up an adapter or two as well.
Sweetwaterpost #6255 of 658211/19/13 at 5:52pm
i just notice that if i pick 16 bit and 44.1 khz, 16 bit and 48 khz, 24 bit and 44.1 khz, and 24 bit and 48 khz my fiio E17 would says 48 k and 16 bit.
For 16 bit and 96 khz, it would say 96 khz and 24 bit.
Is my e17 broken or is it just a display bug?
Edited by imeem - 11/19/13 at 6:03pm
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 1 minute ago
- › Forza AudioWorks - The Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › [Review] Sennheiser IE800: Appreciation, Frustration and a bunch of... 3 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro Impressions, & Discussion Thread! 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Lcd's and unlistenable cd's 5 minutes ago
- › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)