It sounds like it could be something to do with the audio settings on your MBP. I've had experience with having a lower bit rate setting causing distortion when listening through my E17.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 417post #6241 of 655611/9/13 at 9:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6242 of 655611/10/13 at 2:03ampost #6243 of 655611/10/13 at 12:03pm
I think it's working as it's supposed to now but I'm not 100% sure. Using the E17 most music genres seem to sound noticeably better than my laptop integrated sound but some rock music with electric guitarists purposely using distortion are almost not listenable, i.e. the E17 seems to make the electric guitar distortions more noticeable than before to the point where it's not as enjoyable. This is my first amp/DAC so I don't have any point of reference. Is this normal or does it sound like there's a fault with my unit?post #6244 of 655611/10/13 at 12:15pmpost #6245 of 655611/10/13 at 11:05pm
Hey guys, I own an E17 which I used with a pair of HD 598s. I'm currently away from my home for few months and have been using a laptop (instead of my normal desktop setup) with these. However, since I started using the setup with the laptop, I've noticed if I leave the amp plugged in via usb for any lengthy amount of time idle, there will be an incredible amount of static (sometimes to the point of being unbearable/total audio distortion) being outputted by the headphones regardless of what the audio type is. I'm using the same setup digitally as well (Foobar configuration/playback devices) I know it's not the headphones, as the static will go away if I unplug/replug the amp. I also know it's not the cord, as I've tested it with a spare. In addition, I've tested another USB port, and the problem still persists.
As a note, when audio is being played, the static never comes, it's just when it's idling. The Fiio will also tend to flash "lock" when it happens. I've only had the amp/headphones since February, but have used them heavily since then.
Edited by V00DEW - 11/10/13 at 11:07pmpost #6246 of 655611/10/13 at 11:29pmpost #6247 of 655611/10/13 at 11:39pmQuote:
Actually, I totally didn't even think of that. Doing this wont cause any major changes that I'll have to reconfigure though, correct?post #6248 of 655611/11/13 at 2:24ampost #6249 of 655611/11/13 at 6:16ampost #6250 of 655611/12/13 at 2:50pm
My E17 suddenly stopped working through optical, on any sample rate! This happened after switching from home theater (also optic) back to E17. It was working before that When I connect it, the display doesn't flash like usually, and headphones just start producing crackling noise. No other sounds. This happened to me when I was trying higher sample rates on PS3, but never on PC. USB works fine. Connections should be snug too. Nothing changed after system restart too.
Is it broken?post #6251 of 655611/12/13 at 3:07pmpost #6252 of 655611/12/13 at 3:24pmpost #6253 of 655611/13/13 at 7:52pmQuote:
Would you mind posting a link for it? (Monoprice has a nice short thin optical cable for a few bucks)post #6254 of 655611/13/13 at 8:23pmQuote:
Sorry, I thought mine came from Monoprice but it was actually B&H Photo Video.
or Full Compass
Nice thin little cable comes with standard ends if you need to plug it into a 3.5 mm TRS jack then pick up an adapter or two as well.
Sweetwaterpost #6255 of 655611/19/13 at 5:52pm
i just notice that if i pick 16 bit and 44.1 khz, 16 bit and 48 khz, 24 bit and 44.1 khz, and 24 bit and 48 khz my fiio E17 would says 48 k and 16 bit.
For 16 bit and 96 khz, it would say 96 khz and 24 bit.
Is my e17 broken or is it just a display bug?
Edited by imeem - 11/19/13 at 6:03pm
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 38 seconds ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 43 seconds ago
- › Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Grado wood makers & sellers thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 4 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › I am looking for upper class gaming Headphones? Which one? I posted... 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)