Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 350

post #5236 of 6535

Quick quetion:


I've just received my new E17, I plugged the USB cable in the device and then on my PC. The Power Led tuned Red.
I removed the hold switch and tried to switch on the device... Nothing happened.
I tried again in a minute and the Led turned sort of pinkish (blu+red). The displayed showed the Fiio logo and then low-battery and bye bye and off it went again.

Is my E17 faulty?
I can't find any info on "letting it charge before the first use" on the "user manual"

 

On a side note: I am also missing the rubber feet. Did Fiio add them in the package after a while? They surely are mentioned in the leaflet.
And no authenticity sticker of sort...

 

post #5237 of 6535

The Good-bye after turning on happens when the battery is practically dead , give your fiio 10 mins of good charging then turn it on , it will stay that purplish color when on / charging at the same time. 

 

As to the feet, they are on a strip of rubber with like 6 bumps sticking off of it, and they peel off, if you didnt get any i wouldn't worry , they dont stick amazingly well, ( at least mine didnt ) and after 2-3 months of heavy use they started falling off, and even super-glue was no match for the rough and tumble interior of my bag. 

 

Mine is about a year and a half old now, and it has no auth sticker, so if yours is old stock then it could be the same as mine. 

post #5238 of 6535

Many thanks for the prompt reply: I panicked a little...


I couldn't find any mention of the pink led on the manual. And all the pictures I saw posted online show the led bright blue.
I'll let the device charge and I'll report back.

On the authenticity side of the things. I checked with Amazon.it (where I bought the E17 from) and I found out that they are actually resellers for the Fiio Italian authorized importer. So far so good then.
 

 

UPDATE:
2/3 hours later and the device is functioning, I assume, correctly.
The led is still pinkish, but at least I can use it now.

Being this the first device of its kind I own I can positively say that the difference I'm hearing (vs my onboard chip) is remarkable!
 


Edited by mechchimp - 1/10/13 at 6:22am
post #5239 of 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechchimp View Post

Many thanks for the prompt reply: I panicked a little...


I couldn't find any mention of the pink led on the manual. And all the pictures I saw posted online show the led bright blue.

I'll let the device charge and I'll report back.


On the authenticity side of the things. I checked with Amazon.it (where I bought the E17 from) and I found out that they are actually resellers for the Fiio Italian authorized importer. So far so good then.

 

UPDATE:

2/3 hours later and the device is functioning, I assume, correctly.

The led is still pinkish, but at least I can use it now.


Being this the first device of its kind I own I can positively say that the difference I'm hearing (vs my onboard chip) is remarkable!

 
I assume by pink you mean purple-ish?
Blue light is ON
Red light is CHARGE
So when it is on AND charging it is blue + red making purple-ish.
If you turn off the USB charging it will go to just blue while on.
post #5240 of 6535

Just a note on using the fiio for our new brother ;P 

 

I often have it in my man-bag as i bring it to an from work a lot, if you do this be sure to put the device powered off and on hold into your bag.

 

More often than i'd like i'll be out on the road, either shopping in town or on a trip and my trusty fiio , still in my bag from my work week will be dead as a dodo because i didn't put it on hold , it turns itself on very easily when just chucked in a bag. 

 

Just something to make a mental note of :) 

post #5241 of 6535

Hmm... More problems I'm afraid.frown.gif

 

I used the E17 most of the afternoon, the led was still purple and everything was fine.
Then I switched it off... And now I can't turn it back on, no matter what.

 

How long does it usually take, while using it, to charge the device?

post #5242 of 6535

Well got my new E17 today and I too was initially stumped by the fact it wouldn't switch on even thought it had the usb cable plugged in. Once I'd figured out how to change all the output settings on my laptop, now got it at 24bit 96k WASAPI plugin via Winamp, I'm really impressed. I gather that it'll 'loosen' up after a while, so here's to the future.

post #5243 of 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechchimp View Post

Hmm... More problems I'm afraid.frown.gif

 

I used the E17 most of the afternoon, the led was still purple and everything was fine.
Then I switched it off... And now I can't turn it back on, no matter what.

 

How long does it usually take, while using it, to charge the device?

I give it a good 5 mins charging before turning it on (when the batteries are drained).

And that usually works, operating on USB Charging ON.

 

I guess it probably isn't worth asking since you did say "no matter what" but the HOLD button was off, right?

Either way, whether the HOLD button is on or off, does the power button even light up red with it's plugged in?

post #5244 of 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechchimp View Post

Hmm... More problems I'm afraid.frown.gif

 

I used the E17 most of the afternoon, the led was still purple and everything was fine.
Then I switched it off... And now I can't turn it back on, no matter what.

 

How long does it usually take, while using it, to charge the device?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638910/fiio-e07k-andes-review-and-help-thread#post_8914241

 

It's basically the same for the E17.

 

 

Quote:
Press and hold the rest button at top with a pen tip. The E17 and E07K units are complicated firmware devices. Whilst other audio devices use physical knobs and switches or a simple screen, these units need to pull more wait. Glitches and freezing or not turning on has and does happen every now and then or not at all. The usual solutions are plugging them into a computer with USB and then trying the power button. Or waiting a bit and then pressing and holding the power button for a bit. Combinations of these are recommended. The biggest culprit of this problem is that the HOLD switch is engaged. Check that no orange is showing as that means that HOLD is on.
post #5245 of 6535

The HOLD switch is off (top position, not showing any red).


While connected to an USB port I can see a slight faint red light on the Power button. Not the proper bright led I saw the first time I plugged the E17 in.
 

 

UPDATE:
I did try some different USB ports on my main PC and nothing worked.
Just to be sure I connected it to my Macbook Air and... et voilat: red led back again!


Off to scratching my head...


Edited by mechchimp - 1/10/13 at 1:10pm
post #5246 of 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechchimp View Post

The HOLD switch is off (top position, not showing any red).


While connected to an USB port I can see a slight faint red light on the Power button. Not the proper bright led I saw the first time I plugged the E17 in.
 

Try these, each number is a seperate test

  1. With USB plugged in, flip hold switch up and down until hold is disabled. Then press and hold power button.
  2. Unplug USB and flip hold up and down and then try for power switch
  3. Press and hold reset button and then try a combo of the previous steps.
post #5247 of 6535

Quick recap:

I connected the E17 to my PC. I let it charge for 2 hours and then I used it for 3 more hours, while keeping it connected. Everything looked (and sounded) fine, the led was still purple. I then decided to switch the device off (thinking it would speed up the remaining charging process). No red led.
At this point I couldn't turn the thing on, no matter what (plugged, unplugged, different USB ports).
Then I tried and connect it to a Macbook Air. Red light back. So I tried to switch it on and everything seems fine.
Back to my main PC. The red led is not showing (not charging), but I can, luckily, still turn it on and off.

So, to those tests.
At this moment I can perform the 3 of them without reporting any strange malfunction.

What else can I say? Finger crossed.

post #5248 of 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechchimp View Post

Quick recap:

I connected the E17 to my PC. I let it charge for 2 hours and then I used it for 3 more hours, while keeping it connected. Everything looked (and sounded) fine, the led was still purple. I then decided to switch the device off (thinking it would speed up the remaining charging process). No red led.
At this point I couldn't turn the thing on, no matter what (plugged, unplugged, different USB ports).
Then I tried and connect it to a Macbook Air. Red light back. So I tried to switch it on and everything seems fine.
Back to my main PC. The red led is not showing (not charging), but I can, luckily, still turn it on and off.

So, to those tests.
At this moment I can perform the 3 of them without reporting any strange malfunction.

What else can I say? Finger crossed.

Due to a higher complexity of the FiiO's UI from others, I have also had those issues where the GUI/OS had some computational farts as well. It isn't generally of much concern unless it happens a lot or happened right out on the onset with no solution.

 

Perhaps your PC doesn't have the juice? Rarely now a days but some PC's don't output too much juice. Don't think this is the problem though.

 

Keep watch over it. Hiccups do happen, every now and then isn't a problem. But if it keeps happening, it is.

post #5249 of 6535

Press the reset button. Mine locked up once when i first got it, and then it has never happened since. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechchimp View Post

Hmm... More problems I'm afraid.frown.gif

 

I used the E17 most of the afternoon, the led was still purple and everything was fine.
Then I switched it off... And now I can't turn it back on, no matter what.

 

How long does it usually take, while using it, to charge the device?

post #5250 of 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

They do offer one. Heck it comes for free!

N44Nxs.jpg

LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyogen View Post


i use dual lock on E17 and a lot of other stuff.  both normal and low profile dual lock...  it comes off easily enough and doesn't; take off the paint or anything with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleether View Post

I had the same reservations before putting the velcro on my E17, but the adhesive does come off easily with out hurting the E17 if you choose to do so. IDK if u seen the mod i did, but there are photos in my profile if u want to check it out.

In the end, having the velcro on the E17, for me, is not a big deal at all. Its either in its case, sitting on its butt, or attached to my iphone. I never realized how important the fuggin E17 was going to be. I use it every single day. I take it everywhere i go!

Thanks guys.. I ended up just using dual lock directly on the E 17.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought