Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 335

post #5011 of 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACvest View Post

ALTHOUGH, the WM8740 just sonically performs better via SPDIF than USB, this has been noted by MANY users, so if you CAN, you MIGHT enjoy the SQ of your E17 a bit better via SPDIF. However, using it via USB and letting it sip voltage and constantly recharge is VERY convenient. Oh, yeah, SPDIF sounds better even with 44.1kHz Redbook files.
It depends if you can hear the difference. It is very hard too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Those numbers define the maximum voltage and current available from the various FiiO products.
If you need to kmow whether a particular FiiO product can drive your phones to a skull splitting 120 dB SPL, you also need either efficiency or sensitivity rating of your phones.
It can be driven loud for me but it clipped a few times. For me
post #5012 of 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

 

Yes, it means 0.1mW can get to 96dB on Q701. but the impedance 62 ohms is tested in 1K hz, it will increase to about 100 ohms, see below. so the power demand C will be more reasonable.

 

 

 Since the power is calculated depend on impedance, so the best way is judged by the peak voltage ( for high impedance ) or max output current ( for low impedance ) .

 

Do remember that high impedance headphones need high voltage, but low impedance headphone need more current.

 

Those numbers don't look right to me.

 

95 dB SPL from a Q701 works out to approx. 1.6 mW by my calculations.

post #5013 of 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomomma1 View Post


What about letting my cat lick it? Apparently they have very hygenic tongues! Or is it dogs?

LOL hope you're not serious.

Cats and dogs generally do not mix with cables to begin with.

 

Unless you have a Blendtec blender. Let's not go there.

Optical cat & dog smoke! don't breathe this!

post #5014 of 6558
The Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S3 with USB Audio Recorder PRO can interwork with the FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp.
 
music stored in Galaxy S3 > USB Audio Recorder PRO player > digital USB audio out >> "USB OTG" cable >> FiiO E17 >> headphones
post #5015 of 6558
Hi
I'm newbie here and i bought from Amazon. Uk the FiiO E17 , but I have some doubts about the authenticity.
In the back instead of saying E17, only says ALPEN, is there any difference?
I do not see the serial number nowhere!
From the pictures I have seen the SPDIF input is pink, has no color in mine.
Will someone help me?
Sorry for my poor english.
Thank you in advance
post #5016 of 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleo View Post

Hi
I'm newbie here and i bought from Amazon. Uk the FiiO E17 , but I have some doubts about the authenticity.
In the back instead of saying E17, only says ALPEN, is there any difference?
I do not see the serial number nowhere!
From the pictures I have seen the SPDIF input is pink, has no color in mine.
Will someone help me?
Sorry for my poor english.
Thank you in advance

Somewhat. The first one or two batches say E17. The newer batches say Alpen. That's it.

 

The serial number is on the box and the authentity number is on the box of NEWER units being sold. Demo unit has pink, regular have black.

post #5017 of 6558

Thanks!

post #5018 of 6558

I have a sound level meter. I made a little cardboard baffle with a hole cut in it to stick the end of the meter through. The baffle seals the headphone pad so that I get an accurate reading. I have put on a song or two at the volume I normally listen at and then measured with the meter, and I get an average somewhere in between 75-80db c-weighted. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

how do you know you are listen at 75-80dB?
post #5019 of 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleo View Post

Hi


I'm newbie here and i bought from Amazon. Uk the FiiO E17 , but I have some doubts about the authenticity.


In the back instead of saying E17, only says ALPEN, is there any difference?


I do not see the serial number nowhere!


From the pictures I have seen the SPDIF input is pink, has no color in mine.


Will someone help me?


Sorry for my poor english.


Thank you in advance


Mine is same dude, don't sweat it
post #5020 of 6558

Hi, guys!

 

I haven't posted on here before but have been reading this thread with interest, so much so that I just got the E17/E09K combo, which makes for a nice upgrade from my previous Behringer UCA222 soundcard, which I had connected to a solid state amp. My headphone is a Beyer DT880 (600 ohm), which went straight into the SS amp's headphone input.

 

At the moment the E09 acts as a pre-amp for the SS amp, using an RCA connector cable from the PRE-AMP outs to the AUX ins of the SS amp and I still use the SS amp's headphone input. Not sure if this was answered elsewhere but I would like to use the E09's supposedly superior headphone input, without losing the SS amp's added amplification but, as a technophobe, I have no idea how to achieve this. My guess would be a second RCA connector cable via some adaptor style device, feeding the end signal  from the SS amp's AUX back to the E09. Is there a simple solution to this? Is it possible at all?

 

Many thanks for your help!
 

post #5021 of 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippudo View Post

Hi, guys!

 

I haven't posted on here before but have been reading this thread with interest, so much so that I just got the E17/E09K combo, which makes for a nice upgrade from my previous Behringer UCA222 soundcard, which I had connected to a solid state amp. My headphone is a Beyer DT880 (600 ohm), which went straight into the SS amp's headphone input.

 

At the moment the E09 acts as a pre-amp for the SS amp, using an RCA connector cable from the PRE-AMP outs to the AUX ins of the SS amp and I still use the SS amp's headphone input. Not sure if this was answered elsewhere but I would like to use the E09's supposedly superior headphone input, without losing the SS amp's added amplification but, as a technophobe, I have no idea how to achieve this. My guess would be a second RCA connector cable via some adaptor style device, feeding the end signal  from the SS amp's AUX back to the E09. Is there a simple solution to this? Is it possible at all?

 

Many thanks for your help!
 

 

Sorry, your post is confusing me!

What kind of solid state amp are you using?

 

Sounds like you DON'T what to use the headphone jack on the E09K? Or am I confused?

Have you tried the headphone jack on the E09K?  It shouldn't have any trouble driving the 600 Ohm DT880s.

That should be your simplest method.

 

Anyway, you can either drive the DT880s from the headphone jack on your SS amp, or drive the phones from the headphone jack on the E09K.  You can't really do both at the same time. Or you wouldn't want to drive te headphone jack into another pre-amp. What would be the point?

 

Signed,

Confused.

confused_face_2.gif

post #5022 of 6558

.


Edited by FLACvest - 2/27/14 at 12:27pm
post #5023 of 6558

.


Edited by FLACvest - 2/27/14 at 12:26pm
post #5024 of 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACvest View Post

It I suppose depends on your SPDIF source. Mine is an Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 (1G) which is known to have great SPDIF out and DAC (nice AKM chips) / DSP (C-Media Oxygen), and rollable opamps (OPA627AU) in mine. (the opamps of course do not enter into the SPDIF equation, I was just elaborating on my source for the other readers).

 

In my experience with the WM8740 based solutions, iBasso D10 Cobra DAC/Amp, FiiO E17 DAC/Amp, etc... There is a definite sonic quality improvement when utilizing the SPDIF (optical) signal path over the USB signal path. This has been noted by more than one individual on more than one device. I'm not trying to "start" anything. I'm just pointing out an observation.

 

Thanks for reading.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippudo View Post

Hi, guys!

 

I haven't posted on here before but have been reading this thread with interest, so much so that I just got the E17/E09K combo, which makes for a nice upgrade from my previous Behringer UCA222 soundcard, which I had connected to a solid state amp. My headphone is a Beyer DT880 (600 ohm), which went straight into the SS amp's headphone input.

 

At the moment the E09 acts as a pre-amp for the SS amp, using an RCA connector cable from the PRE-AMP outs to the AUX ins of the SS amp and I still use the SS amp's headphone input. Not sure if this was answered elsewhere but I would like to use the E09's supposedly superior headphone input, without losing the SS amp's added amplification but, as a technophobe, I have no idea how to achieve this. My guess would be a second RCA connector cable via some adaptor style device, feeding the end signal  from the SS amp's AUX back to the E09. Is there a simple solution to this? Is it possible at all?

 

Many thanks for your help!
 

What SS amp are you referring to. Please use exact models.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACvest View Post

It I suppose depends on your SPDIF source. Mine is an Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 (1G) which is known to have great SPDIF out and DAC (nice AKM chips) / DSP (C-Media Oxygen), and rollable opamps (OPA627AU) in mine. (the opamps of course do not enter into the SPDIF equation, I was just elaborating on my source for the other readers).

 

In my experience with the WM8740 based solutions, iBasso D10 Cobra DAC/Amp, FiiO E17 DAC/Amp, etc... There is a definite sonic quality improvement when utilizing the SPDIF (optical) signal path over the USB signal path. This has been noted by more than one individual on more than one device. I'm not trying to "start" anything. I'm just pointing out an observation.

 

Thanks for reading.

Of course you aren't using the AKM DAC when using SPDIF

post #5025 of 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

 

What SS amp are you referring to. Please use exact models.

 

Looks like I ain't the only one who is confused!

LOL!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought