macs have good dacs?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 321post #4801 of 665611/13/12 at 7:50am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4802 of 665611/13/12 at 7:55amThey use Cirrus Logics that sound good actually. Very warm, but smooth. Also has about 90mW at 32 ohms so has some power. I am fine with them actually. Apple is known to use good Dac. Their phones and ipods do as well. Not magnificent but as in a dac and amp thatcomes standard. It is the only brand that has a good dac and amp thatcomes standard on all their devices from a major brandpost #4803 of 665611/13/12 at 9:24ampost #4804 of 665611/13/12 at 5:31pm
It will always run off of the battery. There is an option to charge or not to charge when plugged into usb, so that you can still cycle the battery if you use it as a USB DAC often.
I see you live in Poughkeepsie, I'm in the Hyde Park/Pleasant Valley area. So howdy neighbor!post #4805 of 665611/13/12 at 6:27pmpost #4806 of 665611/14/12 at 9:46ampost #4807 of 665611/15/12 at 12:00am
So I know the E17 is more than enough for my Grado SR80i's, but does anyone have experience driving RS1i's with the E17? Probably save myself around $100 since it includes a DAC, along with it being an all-in-one unit, which is always attractive, over buying an Asgard and separate DAC.post #4808 of 665611/15/12 at 1:17am
I'm thinking about getting a Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G to pair with my E17. Main reason is to be able to drive 2 pairs of headphones simultaneously otg, second reason is I'm a basshead and I sometimes feel like I would like an even bigger boost than the E17 provides (yes I know it's ridiculous, but I want what I want :) ). Anyone got any experience with this combo? Is there a more preferable way to go?post #4809 of 665611/15/12 at 1:37amQuote:Originally Posted by esmBOS
I'm thinking about getting a Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G to pair with my E17. Main reason is to be able to drive 2 pairs of headphones simultaneously otg, second reason is I'm a basshead and I sometimes feel like I would like an even bigger boost than the E17 provides (yes I know it's ridiculous, but I want what I want :) ). Anyone got any experience with this combo? Is there a more preferable way to go?
i suggest you to go for alo rx mk3 then ,the bass knob will satisfy your addiction to basspost #4810 of 665611/15/12 at 3:43amQuote:
The design and other specs of the mk3 is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I have read however that the overall bass boost even if you turn the knob on the mk3 to max is much much less than that of the E17 alone.
edit: when I take a closer look on the features tab on their website I can see that the maximum boost sub 100hz is about 3db, wich will not suffice :( I really wish they made a version with a boost up to like 9db! I'd buy it in a heartbeat! http://www.aloaudio.com/rx-mk3
Edited by esmBOS - 11/15/12 at 3:53ampost #4811 of 665611/15/12 at 4:23amQuote:Originally Posted by SurfWax
So I know the E17 is more than enough for my Grado SR80i's, but does anyone have experience driving RS1i's with the E17? Probably save myself around $100 since it includes a DAC, along with it being an all-in-one unit, which is always attractive, over buying an Asgard and separate DAC.
I don't own any Grados, but I've spent enough time listening to them to get a good feel of the flavour of Grados, if ya know what I mean?
The E17 certainly has enough power, however, the RS-1i really will benefit from a better amp and DAC. Don't get me wrong, one wayto look at this is to use the E17 until you can get a few more $$$ for a better amp and DAC. I certainly don't think the E17 and RS-1i will sound bad together, I just think the RS-1i has the potential to sound better.
I would think it is a combo you could live with for a year or two and would definitely sound better than using the SR-80i's.
I have you tried the RS-2i?
Anyone have any thoughts on what the E09K brings to the table with the RS-1i?post #4812 of 665611/15/12 at 4:40amProbably not a good combo due to the high output impedance of the E09K not meant for anything less than 80ohms, and also the fact that the E09K/E9 don't smoothen the treble range, so if the RS1 is harsh, they will stay harsh.post #4813 of 665611/15/12 at 5:05pmpost #4814 of 665611/15/12 at 5:10pmQuote:
Yes there is a line out option on the E90K. But you can also get the L7 for the E17.post #4815 of 665611/15/12 at 5:14pm
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Objectivists board room 1 minute ago
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 1 minute ago
- › knife-fi? 1 minute ago
- › Rank the most accurate headphones you've heard. 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 2 minutes ago
- › Best sub-$200 (flexible) cans for classical, punk, and some... 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 4 minutes ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 6 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK100 Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) Portable... by Tail
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by tyco
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kite7
- › Flare Audio R2Pro Earphones by dnun8086
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by Chiek
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2