Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 318

post #4756 of 6610

Hello all,

 

i just registered, because i have a problem, and dint find a solution with just searching here...

 

I recently bought an E17, and i am using it over the optical out of my xonar dx, and a HD598 headphone.

 

The problem is, that my long time bsod free computer started to show some blue screens ocassionally.

 

The first came, when the E17 batterys ran out the first time, i turned usb charge on while it was connected via usb to the computer (only for charging, since the audio goes trough the optical), and there it was, a bsod. The dump analysis said usbhub.sys, and irql not less or equal.

The second one was the same, while watching a movie in kmplayer, the battery was running out, and i connected it to usb, and turned it on again... bsod. Same type, but referring to some ntkrnlmp.sys, and irql not less or equal.

 

The third one is, that bothers me. So i realised, that the PC cant really deal with charging the E17 properly on the fly, and i decided to use a wall charger usb, and leave the E17 on optical. So there was no usb connection between the e17 and the PC anymore. I was watching a movie in kmplayer again (newest version) for like 15 minutes after the previous bsod, and there it was, a bsod again. But this time referring to page fault in nonpaged area bla bla, and ntkrnlmp.sys again.

 

Do i see this right, that these BSOD-s are somehow related? Since i didnt have any bsods before using the E17... Or could it be the 192khz/24bit setting on the Xonar DX optical out? That setting was lower before, since my old amplifier did not support so high. Or something that the newest version of kmplayer uses (codec or idk how that works) ?

 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

post #4757 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusH View Post

Hello all,

 

i just registered, because i have a problem, and dint find a solution with just searching here...

 

I recently bought an E17, and i am using it over the optical out of my xonar dx, and a HD598 headphone.

 

The problem is, that my long time bsod free computer started to show some blue screens ocassionally.

 

The first came, when the E17 batterys ran out the first time, i turned usb charge on while it was connected via usb to the computer (only for charging, since the audio goes trough the optical), and there it was, a bsod. The dump analysis said usbhub.sys, and irql not less or equal.

The second one was the same, while watching a movie in kmplayer, the battery was running out, and i connected it to usb, and turned it on again... bsod. Same type, but referring to some ntkrnlmp.sys, and irql not less or equal.

 

The third one is, that bothers me. So i realised, that the PC cant really deal with charging the E17 properly on the fly, and i decided to use a wall charger usb, and leave the E17 on optical. So there was no usb connection between the e17 and the PC anymore. I was watching a movie in kmplayer again (newest version) for like 15 minutes after the previous bsod, and there it was, a bsod again. But this time referring to page fault in nonpaged area bla bla, and ntkrnlmp.sys again.

 

Do i see this right, that these BSOD-s are somehow related? Since i didnt have any bsods before using the E17... Or could it be the 192khz/24bit setting on the Xonar DX optical out? That setting was lower before, since my old amplifier did not support so high. Or something that the newest version of kmplayer uses (codec or idk how that works) ?

 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

It could be your Xonar, computer Southbridge chipset, and software and hardware having incompatibilities with the E17. The E17 uses Class 1 self contained drivers, but these of course an still cause hardware or software problems if some software you have or hardware gets an error. 

 

That seemed to be the first time. The second time your PC BSOD'd was likely because you WERE using the Xonar to output a signal with your Windows sound selection and something triggered a hardware or software failure while it was doing so.

 

I do have some solutions but if you are not a tech geek it may not be recommended to be done. And thus, keep using your E17 for a day or two and use it with other computers. Try just USB and then optical .

 

If all else fails, I will tell you the more technical part which involves new drivers for the Xonar and the Southbridge chipset. Beware though, I do not hold any accountability for faulty drivers that the manufacturer has sent out, user error in installing or removing or doing something wrong, nor acts of nature where the power goes out while it is installing. 

post #4758 of 6610

Thanks. I can send you the dmp files, if they are anything good for. Ive just used this online service to analyze them, and get the infos described above: http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

 

As far as the E17 goes: I have reduced the output settings of the Xonars optical to 16/48, and was listeing 2 hours music without problems. Altough i could not test kmplayer yet, since the E17 suddenly unpowered, after just ~10 hours uptime (and 2 hours of listening music in that), after a full recharge, without warning me anyhow. I dont know whats up, but i have to charge it again now...

post #4759 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusH View Post

Thanks. I can send you the dmp files, if they are anything good for. Ive just used this online service to analyze them, and get the infos described above: http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

 

As far as the E17 goes: I have reduced the output settings of the Xonars optical to 16/48, and was listeing 2 hours music without problems. Altough i could not test kmplayer yet, since the E17 suddenly unpowered, after just ~10 hours uptime (and 2 hours of listening music in that), after a full recharge, without warning me anyhow. I dont know whats up, but i have to charge it again now...

You can charge while using it through USB with USB chg setting turned on. If the E17 dies, the chg setting no matter what it was resets to on.

post #4760 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

You can charge while using it through USB with USB chg setting turned on. If the E17 dies, the chg setting no matter what it was resets to on.

 

This is getting more and more strage... I realized now, that it probably wasnt shutting down due to the battery. It is simply frozen. After charging, and turning it on again, it did not respond to any of the buttons anymore... i had to reset it...

post #4761 of 6610

How do i update my E17 firmware? I dont have an option to view the timw it has run. Mine must be on an older firmware.

post #4762 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

How do i update my E17 firmware? I dont have an option to view the timw it has run. Mine must be on an older firmware.

Time it has to run? The sleep timer? All models come with that by default. The ONLY firmware update to it is only for those that want to use ASIO with it. That is it.

post #4763 of 6610

I read that there should be a place in the settings menu to see how long it has been on for. Like a smartphone or computer can tell you its uptime.

post #4764 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

I read that there should be a place in the settings menu to see how long it has been on for. Like a smartphone or computer can tell you its uptime.

http://youtu.be/axAewk-qFGw?hd=1&t=11m42s

 

Its called "Run Time" follow the instructions to see where to go.

post #4765 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

How do i update my E17 firmware? I dont have an option to view the timw it has run. Mine must be on an older firmware.

 

 

Sorry, the end user can't upgrade the firmware because need a special kits.

post #4766 of 6610

Mine does not have this option. It is definitely not there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

http://youtu.be/axAewk-qFGw?hd=1&t=11m42s

 

Its called "Run Time" follow the instructions to see where to go.

post #4767 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

Mine does not have this option. It is definitely not there

On the back of your E17, does it say Alpen or E17?

 

What company did you buy it from? I do not believe a model of the E17 was released with a different firmware.

post #4768 of 6610

It says alpen, i bought it from a seller on ebay named "thedigitalguy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

On the back of your E17, does it say Alpen or E17?

 

What company did you buy it from? I do not believe a model of the E17 was released with a different firmware.

post #4769 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

It says alpen, i bought it from a seller on ebay named "thedigitalguy".

Let's wait till James(FiiO) responds back. I do not believe that any model had a change of firmware as such? But they may have just took that out. I do not know. Just make sure that it isn't there. It is in the reset, and firmware menu. 

post #4770 of 6610

My firmware is fw00ld12en, what is yours?

 

That option is definitely not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Let's wait till James(FiiO) responds back. I do not believe that any model had a change of firmware as such? But they may have just took that out. I do not know. Just make sure that it isn't there. It is in the reset, and firmware menu. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought