Has anyone used this with the Matrix m-stage? If so please drop your impression :) much appreciated
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 10/10/16 at 1:39am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
When I first started looking for a pair of CIEMs, I was determined to find the best one in the $1000 region that would serve me equally well for everyday listening as well as stage use (I play in a...
Hi Head-Fi’ers! I’ve waited quite a bit long to use SuperMini and obtain its possible rival players at the same time (like Sony A15 and the new A35). I came across SuperMini a few months ago,...
Introduction Sennheiser HD800S is the successor to HD800 - one of the greatest headphones ever made. HD800 was the first headphone to actually WOW me hard...
Hello fellow head-fi members Welcome to the review of Advanced Evo X Sports Wireless In-ear Monitors. Disclaimer This were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 312post #4666 of 673010/22/12 at 1:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4667 of 673010/22/12 at 11:04pm
Mine E17 headphone jack started to fail. The sound on the right channel is often lost or i hear crackling until i try to move/turn/push headphone plug. What should i do? I am disappointed because i have E17 only a few months.post #4668 of 673010/23/12 at 12:14am
I've been following this thread for a very long time and now that i think of it, i dont remember anyone posting anything about using the E17 as a source only. In other words plugging in an external amp using the fiio L7 for a line out. I'd like to know how the dac section compares to some dedicated dacs out there, like the Odac.post #4669 of 673010/23/12 at 3:22am@unknwn
As you have had it for a few months, local warranty is probably not gonna do. Are you able to diy?
There is a one year warranty (limited), but fiio has said that they will send jacks if you know how to diy solder
You must have missed those posts then. Only problem is that most that I heard that did that ONLY had the E17 and no other dacpost #4670 of 673010/23/12 at 4:33amQuote:
Yes, I have.
I'll have more time tonight to answer your question, but the short answer is, it sounds a bit dark thru the M Stage.
By no means does it sound terrible, it just doesn't sound great.
To put it another way, the M Stage sounds better with a better DAC.post #4671 of 673010/23/12 at 4:40amQuote:Originally Posted by beaver316
I've been following this thread for a very long time and now that i think of it, i dont remember anyone posting anything about using the E17 as a source only. In other words plugging in an external amp using the fiio L7 for a line out. I'd like to know how the dac section compares to some dedicated dacs out there, like the Odac.
I have this combo : E17 as dac only + L7 + Schiit Asgard but I can't only compare to my onboard soundcard ( not a bad one : HD Intel audio ) and I'm quite new in audiophile world ;)post #4672 of 673010/23/12 at 5:12am
Read this and look at my pics in the last page. That should hopefully fix your problem. It sounds like the problem you're having was the same as mine.
I have a Receiver that does 24/192 and I have an L7 for my E17. Both of the DAC's have the same sound quality, but my receiver has a better amp in it. Most of my music has a sample rate of 44.1/48k and a 16 bit rate, so I shouldn't expect anything fantastic. Amp-wise, my receiver has more control and doesn't sound as muddy as the E17.
Edit: I thought I would just add that the line out using the e17's dac only has an unchangeable 6dB gain going out of it. When you switch the lo switch so that the amp section of the e17 is included, you have to change the gain to 6db to get it to sound as loud.
Edited by Trae - 10/23/12 at 6:21ampost #4673 of 673010/23/12 at 8:23ampost #4674 of 673010/23/12 at 6:28pmQuote:
Thanks for the reply. Audirvana was able to lock 96/24, so I'm not sure what's going on with Audio-Midi Setup. I'll give it a shot on another Mac I have at home.post #4675 of 673010/24/12 at 1:41ampost #4676 of 673010/24/12 at 3:11ampost #4677 of 673010/24/12 at 3:53amQuote:
Hm... this was a old post, but I'm having issues with the E17 -> i'm guessing it's due to power issues / faulty battery.
Preface: I've previously charged the E17 (once) via a USB charger that I have for another amp. Charged it to full. After a week's worth of use and barely any USB charging, the device powers down and dies. The problem arises in that I cannot get it to charge again and or turn on.
a) I tried charging with the original charger I used (the first one), and I got a red flashing light. Google search tells me red flashing light means no charge.
b) I swapped to an apple charger, got a super super dim light. Won't turn on with apple's USB wall plug while charging (which I thought was weird, as the device should turn on with a power supply no?). Left over night.
c) Overnight charge, device powers on when it wants to (troubles turning it on, not sure why) with a power button press. When it turns on, showed me 2 battery bars from an over night charge. Brought it out on a studying day, 6 hours of use. Wasn't charging via USB on the computer even though "charging via USB" was turned to ON.
d) Switched chargers to Nokia cellphone charger (swappable USB cable) to see if it'll charge better with a different charger. No light appears. Swapped to apple charger, still no light. Left overnight via Nokia cellphone charger (wall plug). I noticed the device heats up with the apple charger and nokia charger, therefore the device should be charging even without the charging red light.
e) Today, the device wasn't turning on, at all. Tried plugging into my computer via USB, no charge. Other chargers weren't powering it on either, just generating heat as if it was charging. Tried the original charger I had used the first time. Flashing red light, after a few moments, the flashing red light turns red for charging. 30 minutes later, light dies out. Device turns on via the first charger, two battery bars (odd). Figuring it works and turns on spontaneously, I bring it out with me. Doesn't turn on. Computer USB doesn't turn it on either. No heat generated via USB cable.
I'm thinking its a faulty battery. I have to take it apart and check. But question is,
1) Any stats on the battery so far? I'm thinking I can find a replacement battery (i'm in china for the moment) as long as I have some stats on it.
2) Aside from the reset button (tried and tried already), am I missing something in my diagnostics here?
3) Is there a way to hard reset this thing aside from the reset button? I fear my last resort is to take it apart and Frankenstein it.
I will contact Fiio via phone call tomorrow to see if I can ship it out and get a replacement (its not their business hours atm). Sucks to have this break down 10 days in. I bought this in HK while I was there, and I'm not going back there for a while, so my only option is to go through Fiio. Anyone else have this issue?
P.S. I honestly tried searching the forum and google for answers, but this seemed like the best place to go, and 50 pages of reading wasn't getting anywhere, so I thought I'd post my question, even with the high possibility of this being a repeat question. Thanks in advancepost #4678 of 673010/24/12 at 6:15amThread StarterSeem like a battery issue. Definitely contact FiiO first and see if they can resolve the problem for you. At worst, you can get more info on what replacement battery to get (but you will need to know how to solder in order to replace the battery inside).post #4679 of 673010/24/12 at 7:28ampost #4680 of 673010/24/12 at 4:47pmQuote:
I think the best answer I can give you is that my iBasso D12 sounds a bit better thru the M Stage than the E17.
The iBasso just seems to add a bit more life, sounds a bit clearer, adds more space, better dynamics.
probably not a fair comparison, the iBasso has an Aux out, with the E17 I have to use the headphone jack to drive the input of the Matrix.
and the iBasso costs twice as much.
Edit: the iBasso seems to have a bit less grunge, transients seems to have a bit more snap to them.
Bottom line is, the E17 is a fine little device for the $$$ but you can always get a better DAC for the Matrix in the future.
Edited by Chris J - 10/24/12 at 5:02pm
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 25 seconds ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › WTB: Dekoni pads (sheepskin) 3 minutes ago
- › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) 4 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 7 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia 8 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 8 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 9 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by gprs007
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear