Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 310

post #4636 of 6610
Its not the headphone input. You mean headphone jack or headphone out.

But yes, you are. Double amping

It depends if you want to doube amp. If not , then get the L7
post #4637 of 6610
Yeah that's what I meant. But why would I want to double amp?
post #4638 of 6610
If the E17 has sonic qualities you like that you want to mix and try. Most units "double amp" or even more! DACs have their own output stage op amp that is usually replaceable and then most amps have two amps on them(not always)

And to eq, with the l7 set to the right lo bypass you can still use eq and volume on e17 as the pre amp will still be used.

Its highly up to you.
post #4639 of 6610

How good is the bass boost of the E17 in terms of quantity and quality?

post #4640 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakhar View Post

How good is the bass boost of the E17 in terms of quantity and quality?

Up to 12dB bass boost

 

The quality depends on your headphones as well. A headphone with poor bass responce generally will distort pretty heavily (generally) at 4dB whilst others will start to distort or get it at 6dB and etc etc. While ones that don't have bass but can EQ well may even get a 10dB bass boost with ok results.

 

As for the quality of the EQ as it is built in and considering the price, I would say its above average. More fun than accurate really, ifyou are looking for accuracy, then this wouldn't be of high quality, but fun wise, its quite good.

post #4641 of 6610
I was pretty set on the Zo2 but now I am not so sure
post #4642 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakhar View Post

I was pretty set on the Zo2 but now I am not so sure

having both, go with e17...

post #4643 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

having both, go with e17...

Dont you have the original Zo?
What do you prefer about the E17?
post #4644 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajendiran View Post

 

Finally, another question for you guys. Using Ubuntu, I have managed to get the e17 to output at either 16bit/48k or 24 bit/96k. I cannot get it to select the bit rate based on the source. Not all my music is of the highest quality, thus, what do you think of listening to mp3 quality at 320kbs when the e17 is set to 24bit? My experience seems to vary for some reason as some mp3s sound fine whilst others sound less good than when at 16bit. 

 

Anyways, thanks again.

 

I have some questions regarding ubuntu, thought I'd ask you as well as any other ubuntu-using onlookers.

 

I've been using deadbeef outputting over ALSA instead of pulseaudio. I think this is working the best, as the e17 displays 24 bit & 96k when I switch over to hi-res (24/192) files.

Is that proof that output is digital and the decoding is happening in the e17's DAC and not onboard my computer?

 

As a side note, it doesn't seem to switch back to displaying 48k/16bit on the e17 once I've played a 24/192 file. Is that what you mean by listening to mp3s at 24 bit kajendiran?

If so, I guess that's okay then.

post #4645 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajendiran View Post

 

Finally, another question for you guys. Using Ubuntu, I have managed to get the e17 to output at either 16bit/48k or 24 bit/96k. I cannot get it to select the bit rate based on the source. Not all my music is of the highest quality, thus, what do you think of listening to mp3 quality at 320kbs when the e17 is set to 24bit? My experience seems to vary for some reason as some mp3s sound fine whilst others sound less good than when at 16bit. 

 

Anyways, thanks again.

 

 

 

Did I miss this question?

 

If you are using MP3's, they only allow 44.1 and 48KHz sampling at 16bit. No need to go any higher.

 

There is already problems getting some units to display or send what info on Windows as there are so many hardware differences, getting it on Ubuntu correctly is even harder.

 

Quote:

I have some questions regarding ubuntu, thought I'd ask you as well as any other ubuntu-using onlookers.

 

I've been using deadbeef outputting over ALSA instead of pulseaudio. I think this is working the best, as the e17 displays 24 bit & 96k when I switch over to hi-res (24/192) files.

Is that proof that output is digital and the decoding is happening in the e17's DAC and not onboard my computer?

 

As a side note, it doesn't seem to switch back to displaying 48k/16bit on the e17 once I've played a 24/192 file. Is that what you mean by listening to mp3s at 24 bit kajendiran?

If so, I guess that's okay then.

IT should be. I do not know what coding the E17 uses but the E17 should be sampling what is digitally comming in through its USB or S/PDIF inputs and thus give you information on its screen. Keep in mind that displaying 96KHz also includes 88.2KHz on the E17.

 

I've had that happen sometimes to me back then as well even on Windows. 

 

Honestly, this is largely on the E17 and how it shows the formats.

post #4646 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

 

IT should be. I do not know what coding the E17 uses but the E17 should be sampling what is digitally comming in through its USB or S/PDIF inputs and thus give you information on its screen. Keep in mind that displaying 96KHz also includes 88.2KHz on the E17.

 

I've had that happen sometimes to me back then as well even on Windows. 

 

Honestly, this is largely on the E17 and how it shows the formats.

Alright, I´ll assume it is receiving digital audio in that case.

Is it possible for an analog signal to go through USB? I was messing around earlier, playing some 24/192 and it displayed 16/48 on the E17, I assumed the E17 was receiving analog signal, hence the wrong display info.

post #4647 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezhac View Post

Alright, I´ll assume it is receiving digital audio in that case.

Is it possible for an analog signal to go through USB? I was messing around earlier, playing some 24/192 and it displayed 16/48 on the E17, I assumed the E17 was receiving analog signal, hence the wrong display info.

 

If you're on a Mac, you have to go into Audio MIDI Setup in Applications>Utilities to change it to 24/96. It automatically did that in Mountain Lion for me but in Snow Leopard I have to change it every now and then. Sometimes the settings stick, sometimes they don't.

post #4648 of 6610
USB shouldnt be able to send analog data. And with computers your computer wont send itz
post #4649 of 6610

Is USB mode supposed to be limited to 6dB? I can access 12dB fine without doing the "god mode" trick. It is only limited to 6dB when I hook up my L7. 

post #4650 of 6610

I've owned an e17 since April, 2012. 

 

It's been about 6 months, up to this point it was working fine; now I've got issue with the sound cutting in the left and right channels.

I'm suspecting it is the headphone jack. And it appears the LED screen has burn in.

 

Any suggestions as to what to do?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought