Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 307

post #4591 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Are you plugging a Quarter inch TO eighth inch jack into the headphone out? It is the black one right next to the white RCA out. 

 

Type in quarter inch adapter if you don't know what I mean.

 

It may be that it is in fact amping something, try the E17 by itself to see if this issue is a fault E17

 

Nope, most full size headphones that someone with the E17 would generally buy come with a removable Quarter inch headphone jack where when you twist it off, becomes eighth inch. Those that can't thread off generally shouldn't be used with the e17

 

It may also be the E17 in the position you are putting it with some cables are getting EMI

 

That cable doesn't seem out yet.

 

I'm using a quarter inch adapter into the headphone out on the Asus card, that's correct (I did not know the jack sizes in inches, thanks). I've tried the E17 through USB so the noise doesn't seem to be the fault of the E17. Also, when i use it as AMP/DAC with my Ipod, there's no noise at all either. I guess maybe i should get a proper cable to use with my PC.. maybe even use the SPDIF/Toslink out. 

 

And regarding headphones for the E17, what do you mean when you say "thread off"? 

 

Thanks for putting up with all these questions! ;)

post #4592 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post

 

I'm using a quarter inch adapter into the headphone out on the Asus card, that's correct (I did not know the jack sizes in inches, thanks). I've tried the E17 through USB so the noise doesn't seem to be the fault of the E17. Also, when i use it as AMP/DAC with my Ipod, there's no noise at all either. I guess maybe i should get a proper cable to use with my PC.. maybe even use the SPDIF/Toslink out. 

 

And regarding headphones for the E17, what do you mean when you say "thread off"? 

 

Thanks for putting up with all these questions! ;)

The quarter inch adapters generaly "scew" off.

 :)

 

Try a S/PDIF cable

 

 

any mini toslink to mini toslink cable will do fine.

post #4593 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

The quarter inch adapters generaly "scew" off.

 :)

 

Try a S/PDIF cable

 

 

any mini toslink to mini toslink cable will do fine.

 

 

Cheers bo. Thanks for clearing things up a bit. Seems like i'm ready for another round of tests once i get some new cables :) 

post #4594 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post

 

 

Cheers bo. Thanks for clearing things up a bit. Seems like i'm ready for another round of tests once i get some new cables :) 

they are $5 on ebay, at this price point, just getting the popular most bought one will do.

post #4595 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

they are $5 on ebay, at this price point, just getting the popular most bought one will do.

 

Cool, i'll check it out. Would there be any sense in getting a regular Toslink cable and using mini adapters, for more flexibility? I noticed the E17 came with one.

post #4596 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post

 

Cool, i'll check it out. Would there be any sense in getting a regular Toslink cable and using mini adapters, for more flexibility? I noticed the E17 came with one.

For this NO. Most cheap ones pull apart VERY EASILY and you will be tearing your hear out when you move the E17 and the adapter pulls out. Its hard to tell which adapters are the VERY snug fit ones from a picture

post #4597 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

For this NO. Most cheap ones pull apart VERY EASILY and you will be tearing your hear out when you move the E17 and the adapter pulls out. Its hard to tell which adapters are the VERY snug fit ones from a picture

 

Haha, allright. I'll go for mini-to-mini, thanks tongue.gif

post #4598 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post

 

Haha, allright. I'll go for mini-to-mini, thanks tongue.gif

WAIT STOP DON'T DO IT!!

 

mini to mini is for optical!! I didn't know you were talking about coaxil!!

 

You NEED A COAXIL ONE!!

 

I forgot to ask!!! >_,

 

http://www.amazon.com/RG59U-Coaxial-Digital-Audio-Cable/dp/B003NMVG64

 


Edit nevermind

 

 

 

Quote:
Digital S/PDIF Output:
High-bandwidth Coaxial/TOS-Link combo port supports 192KHz/24bit

its a combo output i guess :/


Edited by bowei006 - 10/6/12 at 12:20pm
post #4599 of 6610

Yes it's a combo output. Thanks for the knee-jerk reaction tho! : ) Appreciate it.

post #4600 of 6610

I'm sure this has been answered a bunch of times over. But lately the E17 has been making this really loud crackling/distortion noise.

 

When I unplug it out of the USB and plug it back in, it goes away. I'm wondering what could be causing it. I only charged it full ONE time (the first time I got it). Now I just plug it in to a computer/laptop and always leave it on (to charge it).

 

Maybe it's not fully charged? Do you have to keep charging it? 

post #4601 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

I'm sure this has been answered a bunch of times over. But lately the E17 has been making this really loud crackling/distortion noise.

 

When I unplug it out of the USB and plug it back in, it goes away. I'm wondering what could be causing it. I only charged it full ONE time (the first time I got it). Now I just plug it in to a computer/laptop and always leave it on (to charge it).

 

Maybe it's not fully charged? Do you have to keep charging it? 

is it like a clicking sound? Where it goes click-click-click-click?

 

Or just white noise sound?

 

Try with another computer, it may be software or software settings or the unit itself

post #4602 of 6610

It's more like a crackling noise. 

 

Like when I go to my PC's playback devices and "test device" the little jingle comes out really distorted. It's really bizarre. It just started happening this morning. Something else I notice is when it does this - the screen flashes to lock, back and forth (Lock flashes over and over). Even though it's not on HOLD. 

 

And I just checked, and my E17 is fully charged. So it's not a power issue. 

 

I just find it strange, because if I pull the USB out, and put it back in, it goes away. But then randomly starts popping up when I'm not using it. Like I'll have my headphones and my E17 connected. And i'll hear the crackling. So I put my headphones on, and it's doing it. 


One time I pulled the UBS out, and it was still making the noise. Which tells me it's definitely the E17. I'll keep you guys updated on it. Hopefully it goes away. But kind of worrying me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

is it like a clicking sound? Where it goes click-click-click-click?

 

Or just white noise sound?

 

Try with another computer, it may be software or software settings or the unit itself

post #4603 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

It's more like a crackling noise. 

 

Like when I go to my PC's playback devices and "test device" the little jingle comes out really distorted. It's really bizarre. It just started happening this morning. Something else I notice is when it does this - the screen flashes to lock, back and forth (Lock flashes over and over). Even though it's not on HOLD. 

 

And I just checked, and my E17 is fully charged. So it's not a power issue. 

 

I just find it strange, because if I pull the USB out, and put it back in, it goes away. But then randomly starts popping up when I'm not using it. Like I'll have my headphones and my E17 connected. And i'll hear the crackling. So I put my headphones on, and it's doing it. 


One time I pulled the UBS out, and it was still making the noise. Which tells me it's definitely the E17. I'll keep you guys updated on it. Hopefully it goes away. But kind of worrying me. 

Try different computers, but yes, it may be a faulty unit. But try to fully isolate things first.

post #4604 of 6610

Thanks for the reply.

 

I will try different things to isolate it. Oddly enough, now I'm getting a small crackle when playing music (very faint. Every song has a fuzzyness to it). Ugh. I will try another computer though.


EDIT: Pulled out the bottom connector and re-connected. Now that little sizzle/fuzz has gone away. *baffled*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Try different computers, but yes, it may be a faulty unit. But try to fully isolate things first.


Edited by satanigatan - 10/6/12 at 2:54pm
post #4605 of 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

It's more like a crackling noise. 

 

Like when I go to my PC's playback devices and "test device" the little jingle comes out really distorted. It's really bizarre. It just started happening this morning. Something else I notice is when it does this - the screen flashes to lock, back and forth (Lock flashes over and over). Even though it's not on HOLD. 

 

And I just checked, and my E17 is fully charged. So it's not a power issue. 

 

I just find it strange, because if I pull the USB out, and put it back in, it goes away. But then randomly starts popping up when I'm not using it. Like I'll have my headphones and my E17 connected. And i'll hear the crackling. So I put my headphones on, and it's doing it. 


One time I pulled the UBS out, and it was still making the noise. Which tells me it's definitely the E17. I'll keep you guys updated on it. Hopefully it goes away. But kind of worrying me. 

 

Your computer's USB might be faulty as well. My E17 always flashes LOCK once when I plug it in. Sounds like it keeps reinitializing the device. Definitely try it with another USB port, and if you have the ability, another computer.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought