Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 297

post #4441 of 6582

Line out via L7 should work irrespective of the mode of input , so it should work for line in, coax, spdif or USB , it shouldnt matter. 

post #4442 of 6582

I happened to be on my way here to ask a question about using the L7 Line out also.  I believe you would still get all the EQ/Balance functionality when using the L7, correct?  You're just bypassing the amplification.  

 

Secondly, if you have a beefier amp available, is Line out preferable to using headphone out and dual-amping, and if so why?  I just recently acquired some new headphones and a new amp (HiFiMAN EF5 and HE-500) and am deciding how best to use them with my E17.  

post #4443 of 6582
From what I remember, the EQ settings are directly tied to the amping, so in in order to keep the EQ, you'll probably need to hit the bypass switch, in effect, still using the E17's internal amp. I don't see why you wouldn't just plug in a cable from the headphone jack to another amp, as you'll essentially be doing the same thing. The L7 should be used if you want to bypass the amp comepletely (by leaving it on bypass).

This is why when you dock the E17 to the E9/E09K and use the EQ function, you can still control the volume with the E17. You're using the E17 as a dac and pre-amp this way.
post #4444 of 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

From what I remember, the EQ settings are directly tied to the amping, so in in order to keep the EQ, you'll probably need to hit the bypass switch, in effect, still using the E17's internal amp. I don't see why you wouldn't just plug in a cable from the headphone jack to another amp, as you'll essentially be doing the same thing. The L7 should be used if you want to bypass the amp comepletely (by leaving it on bypass).

The pre amp on the E17 when still enabled can still or does control EQ and volume., not sure how the L7 works with the bypass switch.

post #4445 of 6582
Yeah, it's supposed to, as you can't get the E17's EQ wihtout the internal amp. You're using the E17 as a pre-amp regardless if you use the L7 or the headphone out. The question is, which has the better SQ (while in pre-amp mode) for another amp, the HPO, or the L7?
post #4446 of 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Yeah, it's supposed to, as you can't get the E17's EQ wihtout the internal amp. You're using the E17 as a pre-amp regardless if you use the L7 or the headphone out. The question is, which has the better SQ (while in pre-amp mode) for another amp, the HPO, or the L7?

Of course, FiiO designs their amps, most of them arround a pre amp to driving/main amp setup.

 

Yep, pre amp with volume and EQ control to another amp or just straight all amps bypassed out. Good question.

post #4447 of 6582
I remember when the E7/E9 first came out, I and a few others told others that if they wanted to keep the EQ for their E9, they'd have to undock the E7, and hook up a 3.5mm cable from the E7's hpo to the E9's line in.

Lots of people are scared to pre-amp. Honestly, if you want those EQs, it's the only way until Fiio makes a desktop amp with those EQ options.
post #4448 of 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I remember when the E7/E9 first came out, I and a few others told others that if they wanted to keep the EQ for their E9, they'd have to undock the E7, and hook up a 3.5mm cable from the E7's hpo to the E9's line in.
Lots of people are scared to pre-amp. Honestly, if you want those EQs, it's the only way until Fiio makes a desktop amp with those EQ options.

You are giving them ideas tongue.gif

 

James said he was worried about their being an EQ feature on the E17 as many "audiophiles" or enthusiasts see it as unpure sound but as we can see, it was a huge success to add it on. Not sure how let's say a DAC and amp or whatever in the way higher now $200-$300 price range would work if that had an EQ option as well. 

post #4449 of 6582
It's an ingenious idea that no other companies are really capitilalizing on. Why settle for being like every other company trying to cater to the same crowd? Fiio is stepping out of the box and giving us, less anal consumers, options to tweak the sound to our preference. I applaud them for it. Hey, if people want straight audiophile sound without tweaks, it's not like the EQ has to be used.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/10/12 at 4:39pm
post #4450 of 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

It's an ingenious idea that no other companies are really capitilalizing on. Why settle for being like every other company trying to cater to the same crowd? Fiio is stepping out of the box and giving us, less anal consumers, options to tweak the sound to our preference. I applaud them for it. Hey, if people want straight audiophile sound without tweaks, it's not like the EQ has to be used.

FiiO themselves have explained and in my opinion in a way smartly so that they are not a full audiophile enthusiast company. With many sales going to the slightly more knowledgable consumers internationally. The numbers were like 200K units sold last year if I remember correctly, a record considering their company more or less launched in 2008 with the E3 and really even began as a real company in 2010 with their starter products. 

 

Anyway, the EQ was quite nice, if it was more inclusive it would be better but as it is an option, it was nice to play with.

post #4451 of 6582
Ideally, I think Fiio's next major desktop amp should have the EQ functions, stronger than the E9/E09K, as well as having 2 ohms or less output impedance, to ensure proper damping for the vast majority of headphones. 10ohms on the E9/E09K is a bit high, when most of their consumers I'm sure are pairing those amps it with headphone's in the low ohm range.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/10/12 at 4:41pm
post #4452 of 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Ideally, I think Fiio's next major desktop amp should have the EQ functions, stronger than the E9/E09K, as well as having 2 ohms or less output impedance, to ensure proper damping for the vast majority of headphones.

Yeah, low output impendence would be VERY nice now that I have actually have a problem with devices having one too high for IEM's.

 

The E10 and E90K should be getting higher tiers soon I believe? Just guessing as both have been out for over a year now. I mean upgrades or replacements, whatever they want. The E12 for example in my mind is not an update to the E11 as the e12 is over 2.5X the price of the E11. Whilst the E90K would be an update as it is the same price bracket if not exact.

post #4453 of 6582

One thing I think I don't like about the E17, is the adjustments incremental in 2. Treble is too sharp. If the bass and treble went up in 1s it would be great.

post #4454 of 6582

You must have better ears than I do. Anything less than +2 would be inaudible to me. Oh, to young ears...

post #4455 of 6582
Seriously, 1 decibel difference is too minute for the vast majority of people, FWIR.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought