Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 3

post #31 of 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornel221 View Post

ok thanks for answer , so even if i buy e17 there will be no improvement?

 

Xonar d2 cost me 120€ ;)



hmmm. you would need to ask someone else. but there may or may not. i don't know what DAC they used in it. It doesn't look like their is a good amp in it...which is why you bought the E9. Hmm i don't know about the DAC inside. you could make a nother thread and ask. the Wolfson in the E17 is pretty good though :/

post #32 of 6590
More talk about the sound please. At the end of the day its all i'm interested in. The Headstreamer has less features and looks average in comparison but if it sounds better i will be buying it without a second thought for this. So far from the impressions here and Headfonia it seems that you are paying double to get a lot more features than the E10 and very little actual improvement where it counts - SQ.
Edited by higgsbison - 1/1/12 at 1:25pm
post #33 of 6590

i bought e9 becouse this sound card dont have headphone amp , my xonar includes this dac: Burr Brown PCM1796 Digital to Analog Converter 

 

 

236

 

legend.png

 

 

Sorry for this off-topic i will open a new thread to ask about it ;)

 


Edited by kornel221 - 1/1/12 at 1:35pm
post #34 of 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgsbison View Post

More talk about the sound please. At the end of the day its all i'm interested in. The Headstreamer has less features and looks average in comparison but if it sounds better i will be buying it without a second thought for this. So far from the impressions here and Headfonia it seems that you are paying double to get a lot more features than the E10 and very little actual improvement where it counts - SQ.


hmm that is pretty noteworthy to bring up. but unlike you. i need both the portable, and desktop features of the E17.

post #35 of 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornel221 View Post

i bought e9 becouse this sound card dont have headphone amp , my xonar includes this dac: Burr Brown PCM1796 Digital to Analog Converter 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sorry for this off-topic i will open a new thread to ask about it ;)

 


 

....i doubt you will hear much difference...espeically since you have a Burr Brown :/ i don't have much experience with them but Wolfson, Cirrus Logic, and Burr Brown are pretty top  notch companies.

post #36 of 6590

ok many thanks for your help then I'll stay with xonar

post #37 of 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornel221 View Post

ok many thanks for your help then I'll stay with xonar



You're welcome i guess. You could make a thread and ask but i doubt the difference would really be worth $150 let alone $80 for the E10

post #38 of 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post



hmm that is pretty noteworthy to bring up. but unlike you. i need both the portable, and desktop features of the E17.

 

Without doubt, if you need the features it will be worthwhile.
 

My concern though is by the time you add an E9 for the desktop system you will have spent around $250-300. Suddenly Fiio have a lot of competition in this price bracket where they didn't in the sub $100 range. From the description at Headfonia it seems that he preferred the sound in the E17 on its own better than the E17 + E9. So i'm a bit cautious to spend that sort of money for only a slight increase in SQ over the E10 when there is so much else on the market.

post #39 of 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgsbison View Post

 

Without doubt, if you need the features it will be worthwhile.
 

My concern though is by the time you add an E9 for the desktop system you will have spent around $250-300. Suddenly Fiio have a lot of competition in this price bracket where they didn't in the sub $100 range. From the description at Headfonia it seems that he preferred the sound in the E17 on its own better than the E17 + E9. So i'm a bit cautious to spend that sort of money for only a slight increase in SQ over the E10 when there is so much else on the market.



you might be seeing the $250 to $300 as having a lot of competition. but let me remind you that you can't compare this $250-$300 setup to a desktop only setup of the same price. bc in that desktop setup. can you grab a crucial part of that setup, the DAC and 215mW @ 32 Ohms amp off of it. Use it with your pod, and then when you are console gaming, plut it in to get great sound. and also portably use it at a friends house? 

post #40 of 6590
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornel221 View Post

i bought e9 becouse this sound card dont have headphone amp , my xonar includes this dac: Burr Brown PCM1796 Digital to Analog Converter 

 


PCM1796 is a well regarded DAC but the more important part of the story is the implementation. Xonar, though I haven't tried it myself, is known to be a good performer of its price. If you have no intent to use E17 as a portable amp, then I'll suggest you stick to the Xonar.

 

Regardless of how good any particular gear is, it is only going to be as good as how you use it. You should always consider the practicality of any gears first before worrying about its SQ. What is the point of having the best sounding gear if you are only going to listen to it for a few minutes a month? You will be better off with cheaper sounding gears that let you enjoy your music more fully and freely. What E17 + E9 offers is a complete solution that covers both portable and desktop. If you have no use of one of them, you should spend your money wisely on whatever solution that fit you best.

post #41 of 6590

ClieOS, how do you like the E17/9 combo?

post #42 of 6590
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post

ClieOS, how do you like the E17/9 combo?


Hmmm... It is really hard to say as this point as I didn't spend that much time on the combo. I was listening to them for basic testing at the time so I haven't had the chance to compare it to my other desktop amp yet.

post #43 of 6590

I'll wait patiently L3000.gif while listening
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


Hmmm... It is really hard to say as this point as I didn't spend that much time on the combo. I was listening to them for basic testing at the time so I haven't had the chance to compare it to my other desktop amp yet.



 

post #44 of 6590

ClieOS, thanks for the initial impressions on this thing.  Was looking forward to what you had to say over the holidays!  LOL @ fall to the floor break the floor.  Hopefully, barring any unforseen delays, this thing will be ready to order when I get back from vacation early Feb and I can perch it on the E9 that is waiting patiently in its box on my desk for its little friend!

post #45 of 6590

Eh? No dual headphone-out like previous version, the E7?

Seriously, FiiO... My GF will be really mad if we can't share music anymore :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought