Wait a second, so Android does have digital out? By using CyanogenMod7? In other words, if i flashed CM7 on my HTC Desire HD, plugged the E17 to my Desire HD, then the DAC and amp from the E17 will be utilized?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
A little background before I start. I'm 16 years old and I slowly began to become addicted to fine, audiophile-quality headphones. I remember the first time I heard beats at an apple store. I...
The Major 6 was one of the older models in chord&Major's lineup that has been revamped into the Major 6'13, inline with the Tonal Earphone series design principles. While it looks identical to the...
REMEMBER! No elitists aloud here. Headphones are objects with personality! The richest people can enjoy the cheapest headphone just because it provides the sound he's looking for, has the highs...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 119post #1771 of 66422/24/12 at 6:08am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1772 of 66422/24/12 at 6:37amThread StarterQuote:
The cellphone needs to have the hardware for digital-out in the first place. You can buy a rocket engine that can push you to the moon, but putting it in truck doesn't make it a space shuttle.post #1773 of 66422/24/12 at 6:46amQuote:
Ah hah. So if a E11 can run 250ohm headphones (say, hyogen's DT880s) then the E17 can fully drive them as well? He'll be using the 'analog in' out of his Nexus phone, as I understand it.
@hyogen - if your setup is driving 250ohm DT880s anywhere near as well as it does earbuds (TripleFi 10) then I'm thinking the E17 will drive the headphones even better. :)post #1774 of 66422/24/12 at 6:50amQuote:
I actually laughed out loud at your anology. I drive a truck, and the visual I got is a flatbed trailer hauling a rocket engine when it accidentally went off and put he truck into orbit. :) (White knuckle driving for sure! Heavy Metal anyone?)
post #1775 of 66422/24/12 at 7:12amAndroid devices micro usb. I dont think are too audiophile. And like i said before DAC devices have a USB draw power.... If the ipad wont allow it, i doubt ur android devices will at risk fo fryingg or destroying the batter. If u can flash and mod it why not remove limitations? Limitations r there for a reason. Yes i agree that u should get a bit more juice out an just go past limitations by a bit but when the e17s power draw is twice apple ipads cck limitations..... Twice is a big.. ThingTpost #1776 of 66422/24/12 at 7:17am
Hmm i see. So i guess for portable music listening it's just better to get a good mp3 player with a good dac/amp built in, and leave the portable dac/amps like the E17 for desktops/laptops?post #1777 of 66422/24/12 at 7:28amQuote:
mp3 player with digital out would be ideal for the E17 with decent earbuds or good quality small headphones I would think, (very portable with excellent sound) if there ARE mp3 players with digital out?
post #1778 of 66422/24/12 at 7:31amThe e17 can be used with most or any portable player. The dac wont be engaged when it happens but the amp will be. Amps are mainly used to provide tonality an power(volume)post #1779 of 66422/24/12 at 7:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Bill-P
I'm just reposting this, I guess, but again, advancedmp3players seems to have stock of the E17.
It's a bit pricier, but they can ship international, too.
Never mind. Just an update to this. Advancedmp3players just emailed me saying that the E17 was out of stock by the time I ordered it. I canceled my order. Guess I'll wait until stock situation is completely cleared up before making this decision again.post #1780 of 66422/24/12 at 7:46am
I'm pretty sure if Android ebook readers can do digital out over USB then almost any Android device should be able to. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The OS just needs to send out the audio in a way the USB device can understand, rather than trying to plug in like a flash drive to a PC. My $99 made in China Android tablet could even read/write data over USB, and it's the cheapest device I've ever seen running Android.post #1781 of 66422/24/12 at 7:56amYes it is a software thing. But as we are on head fi for audiophiles plz note that hardware also plays an issue now as it can changes the sound.post #1782 of 66422/24/12 at 8:17ampost #1783 of 66422/24/12 at 8:28amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by SniperCzar
I'm pretty sure if Android ebook readers can do digital out over USB then almost any Android device should be able to. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The OS just needs to send out the audio in a way the USB device can understand, rather than trying to plug in like a flash drive to a PC. My $99 made in China Android tablet could even read/write data over USB, and it's the cheapest device I've ever seen running Android.
The function is called 'USB on-the-go' (or OTG for short). The Android device must have that kind of USB chip (an USB on-the-go I/O chip that capable of hosting) built in to have that function. Most Android cellphone don't have that. They only have a USB receiver chip that can't host a slave device. The reason why most cellphone (including iPhone) don't have OTG is because OTG sucks out a lot of power, so it makes more sense to have it on tablet than on cellphone. It is not as easy as flipping a few switch in the OS.post #1784 of 66422/24/12 at 8:33am
Don't be dumb like me.
I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night. I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out. I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed. When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing. So I tried another USB cable and USB input. Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds. So I try the reset, still nothing. Do you know the E17 has a hold button. Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button. LOLpost #1785 of 66422/24/12 at 8:46amQuote:Originally Posted by mdyoung216
Don't be dumb like me.
I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night. I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out. I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed. When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing. So I tried another USB cable and USB input. Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds. So I try the reset, still nothing. Do you know the E17 has a hold button. Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button. LOL
I'm taking notes.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Stax Thread III 14 seconds ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 26 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 40 seconds ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 43 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by De1taE1even
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by iitime
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2