Wait a second, so Android does have digital out? By using CyanogenMod7? In other words, if i flashed CM7 on my HTC Desire HD, plugged the E17 to my Desire HD, then the DAC and amp from the E17 will be utilized?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I've owned the Sennheiser Momentum for about a year now. Though it is aesthetically pleasing, and very sturdy overall, I can honestly say that it isn't worth the $300. I enjoyed the mids, which...
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 119post #1771 of 65442/24/12 at 6:08am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1772 of 65442/24/12 at 6:37amThread StarterQuote:
The cellphone needs to have the hardware for digital-out in the first place. You can buy a rocket engine that can push you to the moon, but putting it in truck doesn't make it a space shuttle.post #1773 of 65442/24/12 at 6:46amQuote:
Ah hah. So if a E11 can run 250ohm headphones (say, hyogen's DT880s) then the E17 can fully drive them as well? He'll be using the 'analog in' out of his Nexus phone, as I understand it.
@hyogen - if your setup is driving 250ohm DT880s anywhere near as well as it does earbuds (TripleFi 10) then I'm thinking the E17 will drive the headphones even better. :)post #1774 of 65442/24/12 at 6:50amQuote:
I actually laughed out loud at your anology. I drive a truck, and the visual I got is a flatbed trailer hauling a rocket engine when it accidentally went off and put he truck into orbit. :) (White knuckle driving for sure! Heavy Metal anyone?)
post #1775 of 65442/24/12 at 7:12amAndroid devices micro usb. I dont think are too audiophile. And like i said before DAC devices have a USB draw power.... If the ipad wont allow it, i doubt ur android devices will at risk fo fryingg or destroying the batter. If u can flash and mod it why not remove limitations? Limitations r there for a reason. Yes i agree that u should get a bit more juice out an just go past limitations by a bit but when the e17s power draw is twice apple ipads cck limitations..... Twice is a big.. ThingTpost #1776 of 65442/24/12 at 7:17am
Hmm i see. So i guess for portable music listening it's just better to get a good mp3 player with a good dac/amp built in, and leave the portable dac/amps like the E17 for desktops/laptops?post #1777 of 65442/24/12 at 7:28amQuote:
mp3 player with digital out would be ideal for the E17 with decent earbuds or good quality small headphones I would think, (very portable with excellent sound) if there ARE mp3 players with digital out?
post #1778 of 65442/24/12 at 7:31amThe e17 can be used with most or any portable player. The dac wont be engaged when it happens but the amp will be. Amps are mainly used to provide tonality an power(volume)post #1779 of 65442/24/12 at 7:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Bill-P
I'm just reposting this, I guess, but again, advancedmp3players seems to have stock of the E17.
It's a bit pricier, but they can ship international, too.
Never mind. Just an update to this. Advancedmp3players just emailed me saying that the E17 was out of stock by the time I ordered it. I canceled my order. Guess I'll wait until stock situation is completely cleared up before making this decision again.post #1780 of 65442/24/12 at 7:46am
I'm pretty sure if Android ebook readers can do digital out over USB then almost any Android device should be able to. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The OS just needs to send out the audio in a way the USB device can understand, rather than trying to plug in like a flash drive to a PC. My $99 made in China Android tablet could even read/write data over USB, and it's the cheapest device I've ever seen running Android.post #1781 of 65442/24/12 at 7:56ampost #1782 of 65442/24/12 at 8:17ampost #1783 of 65442/24/12 at 8:28amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by SniperCzar
I'm pretty sure if Android ebook readers can do digital out over USB then almost any Android device should be able to. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The OS just needs to send out the audio in a way the USB device can understand, rather than trying to plug in like a flash drive to a PC. My $99 made in China Android tablet could even read/write data over USB, and it's the cheapest device I've ever seen running Android.
The function is called 'USB on-the-go' (or OTG for short). The Android device must have that kind of USB chip (an USB on-the-go I/O chip that capable of hosting) built in to have that function. Most Android cellphone don't have that. They only have a USB receiver chip that can't host a slave device. The reason why most cellphone (including iPhone) don't have OTG is because OTG sucks out a lot of power, so it makes more sense to have it on tablet than on cellphone. It is not as easy as flipping a few switch in the OS.post #1784 of 65442/24/12 at 8:33am
Don't be dumb like me.
I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night. I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out. I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed. When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing. So I tried another USB cable and USB input. Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds. So I try the reset, still nothing. Do you know the E17 has a hold button. Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button. LOLpost #1785 of 65442/24/12 at 8:46amQuote:Originally Posted by mdyoung216
Don't be dumb like me.
I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night. I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out. I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed. When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing. So I tried another USB cable and USB input. Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds. So I try the reset, still nothing. Do you know the E17 has a hold button. Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button. LOL
I'm taking notes.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Need help looking for headphones! 23 seconds ago
- › Uplifting Trance reccomendations 35 seconds ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › I'm confused 1 minute ago
- › Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions 1 minute ago
- › Best android music player app? 2 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Seattle, WA Tour 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)