Wait a second, so Android does have digital out? By using CyanogenMod7? In other words, if i flashed CM7 on my HTC Desire HD, plugged the E17 to my Desire HD, then the DAC and amp from the E17 will be utilized?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/12/13 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 119post #1771 of 62912/24/12 at 6:08am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1772 of 62912/24/12 at 6:37amThread StarterQuote:
The cellphone needs to have the hardware for digital-out in the first place. You can buy a rocket engine that can push you to the moon, but putting it in truck doesn't make it a space shuttle.post #1773 of 62912/24/12 at 6:46amQuote:
Ah hah. So if a E11 can run 250ohm headphones (say, hyogen's DT880s) then the E17 can fully drive them as well? He'll be using the 'analog in' out of his Nexus phone, as I understand it.
@hyogen - if your setup is driving 250ohm DT880s anywhere near as well as it does earbuds (TripleFi 10) then I'm thinking the E17 will drive the headphones even better. :)post #1774 of 62912/24/12 at 6:50amQuote:
I actually laughed out loud at your anology. I drive a truck, and the visual I got is a flatbed trailer hauling a rocket engine when it accidentally went off and put he truck into orbit. :) (White knuckle driving for sure! Heavy Metal anyone?)
post #1775 of 62912/24/12 at 7:12amAndroid devices micro usb. I dont think are too audiophile. And like i said before DAC devices have a USB draw power.... If the ipad wont allow it, i doubt ur android devices will at risk fo fryingg or destroying the batter. If u can flash and mod it why not remove limitations? Limitations r there for a reason. Yes i agree that u should get a bit more juice out an just go past limitations by a bit but when the e17s power draw is twice apple ipads cck limitations..... Twice is a big.. ThingTpost #1776 of 62912/24/12 at 7:17am
Hmm i see. So i guess for portable music listening it's just better to get a good mp3 player with a good dac/amp built in, and leave the portable dac/amps like the E17 for desktops/laptops?post #1777 of 62912/24/12 at 7:28amQuote:
mp3 player with digital out would be ideal for the E17 with decent earbuds or good quality small headphones I would think, (very portable with excellent sound) if there ARE mp3 players with digital out?
post #1778 of 62912/24/12 at 7:31amThe e17 can be used with most or any portable player. The dac wont be engaged when it happens but the amp will be. Amps are mainly used to provide tonality an power(volume)post #1779 of 62912/24/12 at 7:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Bill-P
I'm just reposting this, I guess, but again, advancedmp3players seems to have stock of the E17.
It's a bit pricier, but they can ship international, too.
Never mind. Just an update to this. Advancedmp3players just emailed me saying that the E17 was out of stock by the time I ordered it. I canceled my order. Guess I'll wait until stock situation is completely cleared up before making this decision again.post #1780 of 62912/24/12 at 7:46am
I'm pretty sure if Android ebook readers can do digital out over USB then almost any Android device should be able to. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The OS just needs to send out the audio in a way the USB device can understand, rather than trying to plug in like a flash drive to a PC. My $99 made in China Android tablet could even read/write data over USB, and it's the cheapest device I've ever seen running Android.post #1781 of 62912/24/12 at 7:56ampost #1782 of 62912/24/12 at 8:17ampost #1783 of 62912/24/12 at 8:28amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by SniperCzar
I'm pretty sure if Android ebook readers can do digital out over USB then almost any Android device should be able to. It's a software issue, not a hardware one. The OS just needs to send out the audio in a way the USB device can understand, rather than trying to plug in like a flash drive to a PC. My $99 made in China Android tablet could even read/write data over USB, and it's the cheapest device I've ever seen running Android.
The function is called 'USB on-the-go' (or OTG for short). The Android device must have that kind of USB chip (an USB on-the-go I/O chip that capable of hosting) built in to have that function. Most Android cellphone don't have that. They only have a USB receiver chip that can't host a slave device. The reason why most cellphone (including iPhone) don't have OTG is because OTG sucks out a lot of power, so it makes more sense to have it on tablet than on cellphone. It is not as easy as flipping a few switch in the OS.post #1784 of 62912/24/12 at 8:33am
Don't be dumb like me.
I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night. I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out. I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed. When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing. So I tried another USB cable and USB input. Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds. So I try the reset, still nothing. Do you know the E17 has a hold button. Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button. LOLpost #1785 of 62912/24/12 at 8:46amQuote:Originally Posted by mdyoung216
Don't be dumb like me.
I received my E17 yesterday, so I decided to hook it up before I went to bed last night. I hooked up the USB cable and it turned Red for a few seconds and went out. I figured it needed to be charged, so I went to bed. When I got up this morning I pressed the power button and nothing. So I tried another USB cable and USB input. Same thing, Red light on for a few seconds. So I try the reset, still nothing. Do you know the E17 has a hold button. Switched that off and guess what, it powered up when I pressed the power button. LOL
I'm taking notes.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Speaker amps for headphones 36 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone Dj1 or V-Moda M100 ? 1 minute ago
- › Hello from Italy 1 minute ago
- › worst date stories 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 preview world tour--application 20-26 December 2013 2 minutes ago
- › New AKG flagship K812 first impression 3 minutes ago
- › Best Over-ear sub-200$ headphones for Classical music (only) to be... 3 minutes ago
- › Yulong U18 24/192 USB Digital Interface 4 minutes ago
- › SACD Surround: DSD or Not? 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe