Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, why do people like these? It's nasty !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, why do people like these? It's nasty !

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 

 

Lets start this by saying I am not a noob in headphones audio and I like Sennheiser.  Here I have the HD495, HD580 and HD600.
 
I also have a pair of Sony MDR-7506.
 
IMG_8896.jpg
 
Well, I just got the much acclaimed Sennheiser HD25-1 ii (Addidas edition) and thought I would writing some initial reactions.
 
First of all, what do I think of the HD-25 when I first saw it?
 
It's crap, the plastic is like the stuff you get from some cheap kitchen tupperware plastic and not the nice air tight seal kind either.  The kind that you know if you bend it a little bit more it will go white before it snaps.  It's not like Apple stuff where their plastic somehow feels solid and thick, this feels light air and makes you wonder how on earth they justify selling these for £200 ?!!?  Even the non Addidas normal version commands £140 RRP.  This is insane!!! [b]Dr Dre[/b] headphones are built better than these ! I am not saying they sound better but they are certainly built better!
 
The texture of it is also nasty, I am not a fan of the rough texture of the plastic, it reminds me of the disposal bin part in my juicer where all the rubbish goes into, literally.
 
The ear pads are supposed to be a sort of fake leather? If it is, it failed, big time.  They also give me the impression that after a while it will go all flat and squashed.
 
As a whole, the construction of these are like headphones that cost £20 maximum, not £200.  Even at the price of £100 that I paid for them, I have to admit I feel cheated, big time.
 
Compare to the MDR-7506.  The Sony is MUCH MUCH better made.  I can even say it is better made than my Sennheiser HD600, which was at one point £300 pair of headphones. 
 
The whole thing is much more sold, the extension is of real stainless steel, the fake leather is so real I am only saying it is fake because these retails at £70 and not £170.  The ear pads are nice size and super comfy.  The headband also nicely cushioned with more leather like wrap.  Even the cable is better than that of the HD25.
 
In short, if there is a price against built quality proportionality sliding scale, the MDR-7506 is built like a pair of headphones worth £300 and the HD-25 is like a pair of £20 headphones.  It is not even in the same league!
 
As for sound quality, well, the Sony sounds better I think and noticeably so.  It has a better seal because it of the bigger pads and the Sony is also very neutral too.  The Sennheiser leaks sound like nothing else, the small ear cups doesn't help it and it is hard to find a comfortable position on the head for these because of the design of 1 side can be tilted off 90 degrees for DJ-ing purposes.  So it is quite easy to knock it off centre and then you are wondering what on earth is going on with these on your head.
 
It is early days as the HD25 isn't fully run in but so far, very disappointing.  The Sony being half its price is better sounding and 10 times better built.  The Sony can also be folded inwards to make it "smaller" too and comes with a MUCH nicer bag.  Leather like vs Nylon of the HD25.
 
Oh yes, the HD-25 also comes with spare white cotton pads....who would use these? it will get dirty after a day and will stain really easily. 
 
Conclusion, if you want a pair of Closed Headphones and were thinking of buying the HD25-1 ii. Think HARD, REALLY HARD, and unless you really really want that twist one side off centre ear cup feature for DJ-ing, don't bother, get the Sony MDR-7506, save yourself £70 and spend that on an Amp.
 
Do people really think these sound that good? Actually better than the Sony? I really don't see it.  The sony sounds more open, better clarity and it is like a open phone in a closed form.  Where the HD25 is a closed phone but leaks like nothing else!
 
p.s. sorry for the bad pics (seriously!), in a rush to get this typed as I need to head to bed now.

Edited by raymondlin - 12/29/11 at 4:56pm
post #2 of 77

I got HD 25 II Adidas mainly for use on a veloergometer - and they've got the best pedigree for that purpose, haven't they? ;-)

As far as the particular comparison goes, I have Sony V6, - rather similar to 7506. While I liked them, now they do not see much use. They befit Clip+ well, but are rather rough with Fuze, a bit shrill with 2nd gen Shuffle, and uninspiring with PCs and amp.

HD 25-1 II are fine with Shuffle - and actually they were excellent when tried ... in a meeting room listening to synchronous interpretation. Very good resolution, and above all coherent. Plus reasonably forgiving to poor recordings. HD 25-1 II are not the ultimate in resolution, fun, soundstage, etc. But they provide very reasonable balance of different sonic properties, they are tough (my estimate is that they will outlast my Sony V6), light, they isolate well, and they grip to your head better than any other phones. When it is fitting, I use T5P, but I do not perceive switching to HD 25-1 II as a tragedy.

post #3 of 77

LOL, it's funny, because I bought the HD25-1 II today too. I wanted something even more portable than the Pro 900.

 

However, my impressions are quite different from yours. They don't leak at all, the sound quality is actually surprisingly good and all in all I get a good build quality feeling from it. When I have them on I can practically not hear any background noise at all - but I have tried it at home and not in the subway, mind you. It feels less sturdy than my M50s but they feel solid enough to just throw in the bag. I don't get the feeling that I should treat them like porcelain at all. My only concern about them is the slightly recessed treble (just slightly) - but just like yours, they are brand new and haven't burnt in yet. 

 

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but it's quite funny how differently we perceive things.

post #4 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

LOL, it's funny, because I bought the HD25-1 II today too. I wanted something even more portable than the Pro 900.

 

However, my impressions are quite different from yours. They don't leak at all, the sound quality is actually surprisingly good and all in all I get a good build quality feeling from it. When I have them on I can practically not hear any background noise at all - but I have tried it at home and not in the subway, mind you. It feels less sturdy than my M50s but they feel solid enough to just throw in the bag. I don't get the feeling that I should treat them like porcelain at all. My only concern about them is the slightly recessed treble (just slightly) - but just like yours, they are brand new and haven't burnt in yet. 

 

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but it's quite funny how differently we perceive things.

Very true!I must add that all parts are replaceable.My sister has had the same pair for years.
post #5 of 77

Headphones are like hit or miss for people on here and most of the time when someone spends $100 or more on a pair of headphones and doesn't like them they are sure to tell you about it. 

 

Examples of love or hate with no in the middle are K701, Grado SR60i, Grado SR80i, HD600/650. I was seriously considering buying a pair of the HD-25-ii and still am but its post like this one that make me think twice. 

 

While we are on topic of the HD-25-1 ii my questions is

 

1: Will they be good for use on airplanes? Even the smaller noisy ones?

 

2: Will they fit someone with a huge head? Will they be comfortable for at least 3 hours on someone with huge head? And by huge head I'm talking XL in helmet size. 

 

3: Will they sound good out of a Samsung Galaxy, Blackberry Playbook, or Asus Transformer Prime? Or Asus 1215b?

 

4: How are they for movies?

post #6 of 77

popcorn.gif

post #7 of 77

popcorn.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post

popcorn.gif



 

 

post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

popcorn.gif
 



 

 



Hey man, please ship me some of that extra-moist brisket from Rudy's...biggrin.gif

post #9 of 77

Brisket? I'm only eating Popcorn, bro. popcorn.gif

 

PS: I actually had Rudy's the other day. First time in a long time. It was gooooood.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post





Hey man, please ship me some of that extra-moist brisket from Rudy's...biggrin.gif



 

 

post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIIIIII View Post

 

2: Will they fit someone with a huge head? Will they be comfortable for at least 3 hours on someone with huge head? And by huge head I'm talking XL in helmet size. 

 



I doubt it. I'm kind of small, physically, and they clamp pretty hard. Personally, I love it - it gives a secure feeling that they won't fall off no matter what. However, hey clamp pretty hard and I'm probably a size M - so considering you're XL I doubt you'd enjoy the clamping force.

 

As for your other questions, I can't answer them. Too little time with them to have tested them enough. My first impressions are surprisingly positive, but as you can tell from TS - we might not all perceive everything the same way. ;)

post #11 of 77


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Brisket? I'm only eating Popcorn, bro. popcorn.gif

 

PS: I actually had Rudy's the other day. First time in a long time. It was gooooood.
 



 

 

Which location -- I am fond of the one that is close to Arboretum.  Their breakfast tacos are pretty damn sweet too.  Too much good stuff in Austin!
 

 

post #12 of 77

South Austin. Down off Brodie near Sunset Valley. My boss got us tons of food for working on Christmas Eve.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post


 

Which location -- I am fond of the one that is close to Arboretum.  Their breakfast tacos are pretty damn sweet too.  Too much good stuff in Austin!
 

 



 

 

post #13 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondlin View Post
 

I have had two pairs of 7506's for close to 10 years now for studio use.  Just bought a couple HD-25s this past year.  The one thing about the Senn's is that they're portable.  I would call the Sony's transportable.  The one area where I think the HD-25s excel over the 7506 is more extension and presence in the bass.  Also feels like it has fuller lower mids.  Overall I would prefer the Sony, but again for portable use the nod goes to HD-25s.  And yes, the HD-25s are a 20-30 year old design so they'll look cheaper, although they actually hold up very well and can take quite a beating.  

post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

South Austin. Down off Brodie near Sunset Valley. My boss got us tons of food for working on Christmas Eve.
 



 

 



Cool beans.  I truly love Austin, but usually have a headache in the morning from enjoying myself too much.  So many good live music venues.

post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post



I doubt it. I'm kind of small, physically, and they clamp pretty hard. Personally, I love it - it gives a secure feeling that they won't fall off no matter what. However, hey clamp pretty hard and I'm probably a size M - so considering you're XL I doubt you'd enjoy the clamping force.

 

As for your other questions, I can't answer them. Too little time with them to have tested them enough. My first impressions are surprisingly positive, but as you can tell from TS - we might not all perceive everything the same way. ;)



Thanks for the advice. I was seriously considering these for airplanes. I hate IEMs so wanted something over ear. Guess I'll keep searching *sigh*

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, why do people like these? It's nasty !