Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › [Problem] Beeping sound out of speakers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Problem] Beeping sound out of speakers.

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hello people,

I'm new here, but been around on the forums for quite a while.

First let me try to sketch my equipment.

 

- I've got a normal desktop.

- Some random speakers. (Sony/Pioneer)

- Amp: Akai AM-UO2

Akai am-uo2

 

- Speaker set: Logitech Z323

Logitech Z323

 

 

- Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

 

 

The last time I used the amp was like 2 years ago, I stopped using it because there was something wrong with the amp, I guess some fuses were broken.

I was to lazy to go buy new fuses, so the thing just lay in my shed(Warm/dry shed!). A few days before Christmas I bought new fuses and hooked up the amp again.

I've been "playing" around for 3 days to get the damn thing working, because I didn't remember the way I hooked it up to my PC 2 years ago meh...

 

Ok so finally after 3 day's I figured it out(Kind of).

I'll now try to give some kind of indication of my cable system.

 

Untitled3 Cable system.png

 

Untitled2 Amp Back side.png

 

So the speakers are connected to where the yellow arrow points.

The blue arrow indicates the connection that is going to my pc.

 

Ok here are my problems:

- When I play sound through my speakers I hear a beeping noise, and it never stops until I turn the amp off. When my volume is loud enough I don't hear the sound, but it's still there.

Here is a sample that I recorded: http://www.zshare.net/audio/98032558168c9943/ (No need to download, can directly listen!)

 

- I can't use any of the settings/buttons on the amp. Well I can, but they don't do anything.

 

- I've got another speaker set(The Logitech) and I like to hook up to the amp(If possible)

Here you see a clearer picture of the Subwoofer, the biggest problem is the 9pins connection for the right speaker.

subo.png

 

I hope I covered everything, I'll edit if I did:P

Hopefully someone can help me out.

 

post #2 of 11
Quote:

 

Untitled2 Amp Back side.png

 

So the speakers are connected to where the yellow arrow points.

The blue arrow indicates the connection that is going to my pc.

 

 


 

Two things I see. One, I wouldn't use that input from your PC to the amp. For one - you're only giving it half the signal it wants. And second, that looks like a jumper you should leave alone. Connect the computer from one of the line outs (green/black or orange) using a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cord (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8V235-06-APL-6-Foot-Audio-Cable/dp/B00009WPOP ) to the AUX inputs on the bottom left - then you can select AUX as your source on the front panel. 

 

Regarding the speaker outs, you are mistakingly connecting two right channel speaker outputs. Use a set next to each other (A right + A left), currently you are using A right, B right, so you don't have a stereo signal. It is probably only sending over A right (most amps will select either A or B outputs, not both by default.)

 

--

 

If you decide to use that logitech unit - you don't need an amp. It has one built into the subwoofer unit. But then you cannot use your other speakers - you'll have to use the ones it came with. 


Edited by liamstrain - 12/29/11 at 11:34am
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post


 

Two things I see. One, I wouldn't use that input from your PC to the amp. For one - you're only giving it half the signal it wants. And second, that looks like a jumper you should leave alone. Connect the computer from one of the line outs (green/black or orange) using a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cord (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8V235-06-APL-6-Foot-Audio-Cable/dp/B00009WPOP ) to the AUX inputs on the bottom left - then you can select AUX as your source on the front panel. 

 

Regarding the speaker outs, you are mistakingly connecting two right channel speaker outputs. Use a set next to each other (A right + A left), currently you are using A right, B right, so you don't have a stereo signal. It is probably only sending over A right (most amps will select either A or B outputs, not both by default.)

 

--

 

If you decide to use that logitech unit - you don't need an amp. It has one built into the subwoofer unit. But then you cannot use your other speakers - you'll have to use the ones it came with. 

 

Hey there Liam, thanks for your help.

Using the Aux output fixed 2 problems, the beeping, and the buttons not working.

I did use a 2x RCA to 1x 3.5mm, but it seems like only one channel is being used either way.

Whether I use Phono/Aux/Tuner. And because of that I "need" to use 1 speaker out per row. In my case The right side on Row A and B aren't working, so at the moment I'm using A+B Left.

Do you have any idea why that would be?

 

At the moment I'm using a 3.5mm splitter so that I have the amp and my Logitech on the same audio channel, that does the trick for me.

 


 

 

post #4 of 11

Your splitter needs to have both RCA plugs going to the amp. Do not try to use both the amp and the logitech. (unless I misunderstand and you are sending two stereo signals out, one to each)

 

You are only giving the amp half of a stereo signal, so it is only powering one speaker. Once you correct that, you *should* be able to get left and right signals in the speaker outs.

 

 

If after giving a stereo signal to the amp, it still only plays one channel, we need to look at the amp to make sure nothing is selected to mono (or I see your balance knob is all the way on right... that should be in the middle), and also you said it stopped working for a while, perhaps the amp is broken. 

 

You replaced the jumper between pre and main, on the amp, yes? (where your blue circle was before)


Edited by liamstrain - 12/29/11 at 1:54pm
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

Your splitter needs to have both RCA plugs going to the amp. Do not try to use both the amp and the logitech. (unless I misunderstand and you are sending two stereo signals out, one to each)

 

You are only giving the amp half of a stereo signal, so it is only powering one speaker. Once you correct that, you *should* be able to get left and right signals in the speaker outs.

 

 

If after giving a stereo signal to the amp, it still only plays one channel, we need to look at the amp to make sure nothing is selected to mono (or I see your balance knob is all the way on right... that should be in the middle), and also you said it stopped working for a while, perhaps the amp is broken. 

 

You replaced the jumper between pre and main, on the amp, yes? (where your blue circle was before)

Concerning the Jumper: I never had 2. Only one the left(upper one).

That's how I got the amp, so I guess the missing jumper in the problem. Couldn't I just use a piece of cable to connect the two? Since that's basically what the upper one does.

 

The amp wasn't really broken, but the sound was distorted, that's why I thought that it was a fuse problem.

 

About the splitter:

It's just a "Y" splitter that I put into my sound card, and since the cable that comes from the amp is one 3.5mm and the cable from my Logitech is also one 3.5mm it fits perfect.

 

3.5mm%20splitter.jpg


So that would make it 1 audio signal coming from my PC being split-up between my Logitech and Amp.

 


Edited by Mell0w - 12/29/11 at 2:10pm
post #6 of 11

It sounds like the missing jumper is your problem. It carries the signal from the pre-amp, to the power amp side. Without it, you are only amplifying half the signal. Yes. an RCA cable, should do the trick - personally, I would take out the jumper from the other, and use 2 rca cables if you have them - just so the resistance is the same. 

 

You are right on the 3.5 splitter. I misunderstood. 

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

It sounds like the missing jumper is your problem. It carries the signal from the pre-amp, to the power amp side. Without it, you are only amplifying half the signal. Yes. an RCA cable, should do the trick - personally, I would take out the jumper from the other, and use 2 rca cables if you have them - just so the resistance is the same. 

 

You are right on the 3.5 splitter. I misunderstood. 



Ya, I don't have 2 RCA's at the moment, so I just use what I have.

The beeping noise still seem to be there(Don't remember if I also had it 2 years ago). Do you have any recommendation/solution to what it might be?

post #8 of 11

Off hand - no, I cannot think of what it might be. Do you only get it through the amp, not through the logitech, or headphones from the soundcard? 

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

Off hand - no, I cannot think of what it might be. Do you only get it through the amp, not through the logitech, or headphones from the soundcard? 



It's 100% Amp related.

When I hooked up the speakers to my Logitech I had no problem.

post #10 of 11

I think until you get the other jumper, or cables to connect the amp fully, we can't really evaluate it to troubleshoot ... 

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

I think until you get the other jumper, or cables to connect the amp fully, we can't really evaluate it to troubleshoot ... 



Happy New Year everyone.

So I went to my local hardware store(With the jumper). I showed them the jumper, but no one that worked there ever heard of a jumper for an amp.

Either that says a lot about the people working there or my amp being THAT old.

 

So I ended up buying a 2x2 male RCA.

In the beginning when I first turned on my amp the sound was kind of gone, I still heard it some times, but not as a constant sound.

As I turned up the volume the beeping noise became constant again. So I guess the cable didn't really help. Tomorrow, I'll do a small test with low volume, and see what happens.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › [Problem] Beeping sound out of speakers.