Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-XB1000 vs Denon AH-D2000 - Coming from XB700's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-XB1000 vs Denon AH-D2000 - Coming from XB700's - Page 4

Poll Results: Which is better for my taste?

 
  • 29% (11)
    Sony MDR-XB1000
  • 59% (22)
    Denon AH-D2000
  • 10% (4)
    Other Headphones
37 Total Votes  
post #46 of 131
Thread Starter 

Just an odd remark:
When i did buy them, they did tell me:
"we won't be replenishing our stock for the d2000's as they have been discontinued"

 

Hint for a new line of denon's coming out?

post #47 of 131

Dude you are over thinking this.smile.gif

 

D2000 for £180 is a no-brainer!

post #48 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock134 View Post

Dude you are over thinking this.smile.gif

 

D2000 for £180 is a no-brainer!



I jumped on the deal when i saw it - was hesitant about the AMAZON.DE one - simply because warranty issues would be a pain (don't know if I would have to deal with GER amazon.

Bought from a UK dealer - was in contact by what it seems one of the directors (was in sales) + called 2x and they were VERY helpful.

 

 

Abut the price yes I know its an excellent price, that's what made me more inclined to buy it - but end of the day, they might be £10 or £1000, if I don't like them, then they are worth nothing (to me at least)

 

I will give them a good 100hrs burn-in - I don't think they will give me a wow factor, but over-time I think they will definitely grow on me.

XB1k's however I think would have given me that HOLY SHIZ! (not only due to the size) but then when i woudl compare it to the XB700's I would think to myself was that extra £140 really worth it. I could have bought 2x Xb700's for that...I can't judge, but that's the impression i got of the XB1k's (read A LOTTTTT of reviews/comparisons)

 

And how knows maybe the U900's were better suited for me, even though my guru, luco thinks not.

post #49 of 131

What is this U900 lol? You mean the Pro900? The Denon is probably a better all-rounder, but I think for EDM (especially vocal-less stuff) the Pro900 is still the best IMO.

 

Anyway, if you don't like them you can sell them on HF for very little loss as they are basically brand new. I've sold off quite a few things at a loss because I'd rather someone else enjoy them then leaving them to gather dust.

post #50 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock134 View Post

What is this U900 lol? You mean the Pro900? The Denon is probably a better all-rounder, but I think for EDM (especially vocal-less stuff) the Pro900 is still the best IMO.

 

Anyway, if you don't like them you can sell them on HF for very little loss as they are basically brand new. I've sold off quite a few things at a loss because I'd rather someone else enjoy them then leaving them to gather dust.



U900's = pro 900's sorry yeah :P

 

And of course I can do that - I think 900's wouldn't be TOO MUCH to my taste after luco described them as the denon 710 earphones.

Sibilant, & needs to be driven really too

 

post #51 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post


Any initial impressions :D?

 

 


Initial impressions are: wow. My mental picture of these before buying them was totally wrong. Yes, I thought these were going to be bass monsters, and while they are very much that - they are a different beast on so many levels. These aren't even used for an hour and I love them already. These have the right amount of brightness to them, and I can hear no sibilance (starting to think that sibilance is never going to be an issue for me as I have a slight hearing loss due to ear infections as a kid). These have that "drive" (kind of angry energy that wants to just penetrate your ear and it dosn't care if there's an ear in front of them - it's going in no matter what) in them that the D2000 lacks. The D2000 is an awesome can in it's own right, but it's a bit laid back. These are not as laid back to me. These are aggressive and you can almost feel a seismic sensation to every sound - just how I love it. With the D2000 you have to listen to the sounds and the music. With these you don't have to - it will brute force itself upon you. Fantastic.

 

D2000 - laid back smooth, kind of like a "no worry" kind of sound

Pro 900 - GRRRRRRRR

 

I agree with people who think they are sounding weird to genres that are acoustic and such, but as I listen to electronic music 99% of the time - I don't have to worry about that and can just enjoy their VERY special sound. The soundstage is nothing short of ridiculous. I thought the D2000 had a very good soundstage (and yes, they do) but these are kind of ... 3D in a way. :D VERY fitting with genres like GOA or PSY.

 

Listening to Overwerk through these are an absolutely gorgeous experience. A delight to my ears.

 

I can definitely see how these are not meant for everyone. I wouldn't recommend these as a first can to anyone. Not even as a basshead can. In that regard I think the Dx000 of DENON does a better job because they have a little more conventional sound. The S-Logic really is weird, and last time I listened to it I didn't like it. I do now, however. Very much so.

 

I haven't really gotten around to listen to any UK Bass through these. I will though - do you have any favorite artists that I can listen through these and through the D2000 and give quick impressions?

 

Oh, and I got them with a 1/8 inch cable as well, which is perfect for portable use!


Edited by Coq de Combat - 12/30/11 at 11:15am
post #52 of 131

Try these on the Pro900 and D2000 (be sure to use 720p/1080p)

 

Phaeleh - Afterglow

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2OCSWF7sAw

 

James Blake - Limit To Your Love

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOT2-OTebx0

 

D-Bridge - True Romance

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqDN8navQXg

 

 

post #53 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock134 View Post

Try these on the Pro900 and D2000 (be sure to use 720p/1080p)

 

Phaeleh - Afterglow

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2OCSWF7sAw

 

James Blake - Limit To Your Love

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOT2-OTebx0

 

D-Bridge - True Romance

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqDN8navQXg

 

 



Alright, I'll just put my daughter to bed, and when she's asleep I'll do a comparison between the D2000 and the Pro 900 for those tunes. No problemo.

post #54 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post




Initial impressions are: wow. My mental picture of these before buying them was totally wrong. Yes, I thought these were going to be bass monsters, and while they are very much that - they are a different beast on so many levels. These aren't even used for an hour and I love them already. These have the right amount of brightness to them, and I can hear no sibilance (starting to think that sibilance is never going to be an issue for me as I have a slight hearing loss due to ear infections as a kid). These have that "drive" (kind of angry energy that wants to just penetrate your ear and it dosn't care if there's an ear in front of them - it's going in no matter what) in them that the D2000 lacks. The D2000 is an awesome can in it's own right, but it's a bit laid back. These are not as laid back to me. These are aggressive and you can almost feel a seismic sensation to every sound - just how I love it. With the D2000 you have to listen to the sounds and the music. With these you don't have to - it will brute force itself upon you. Fantastic.

 

D2000 - laid back smooth, kind of like a "no worry" kind of sound

Pro 900 - GRRRRRRRR

 

I agree with people who think they are sounding weird to genres that are acoustic and such, but as I listen to electronic music 99% of the time - I don't have to worry about that and can just enjoy their VERY special sound. The soundstage is nothing short of ridiculous. I thought the D2000 had a very good soundstage (and yes, they do) but these are kind of ... 3D in a way. :D VERY fitting with genres like GOA or PSY.

 

Listening to Overwerk through these are an absolutely gorgeous experience. A delight to my ears.

 

I can definitely see how these are not meant for everyone. I wouldn't recommend these as a first can to anyone. Not even as a basshead can. In that regard I think the Dx000 of DENON does a better job because they have a little more conventional sound. The S-Logic really is weird, and last time I listened to it I didn't like it. I do now, however. Very much so.

 

I haven't really gotten around to listen to any UK Bass through these. I will though - do you have any favorite artists that I can listen through these and through the D2000 and give quick impressions?

 

Oh, and I got them with a 1/8 inch cable as well, which is perfect for portable use!


This is exactly how I imagined the 900's to be, aggressive and more forward, especially with the highs/mids.

They are in such to me:
XB500's as in they are punchy, but of course MUCH better than the XB500's

XB700's I would think are more like the d2000's.

 

Now by that I mean the Xb700's vs the 500's are more open and less punchy/in your face, where as the xb500's are exactly the opposite.

This is my perception of the d2k's and the 900's

Also its quite easy to imagine it, even without trying the headphones, or even reading a single review.

 

If you look at the exterior shape of the denon's and the 900's you can kind of tell the different sounds they will produce, am i wrong in saying the d2k's sound more airy? 

 

The main thing that worried me about the 900's is their sibilance - but what about how they can be driven - do they need to be driven at all?

And also, how is the clamp on the head - weaker, stronger (i know you just got them, so its not a fair comparison, but still worth knowing :D)

 

Really looking forward to your impressions, reviews etc :D!

 

 

post #55 of 131
Thread Starter 

I would love it put through these songs on both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzFM6EL9Npc

Starting at 1min

 

This should be a great soundstage one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTgh-QwvyVo&list=FLAuaBtR8Qr-FRomAAhaD22w&index=9&feature=plpp_video

 

Bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ_gP_hFOss&ob=av3e

 

Clarity of lily's voice?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noLrCDzAp5M&list=FLAuaBtR8Qr-FRomAAhaD22w&index=55&feature=plpp_video

post #56 of 131

So, after quickly comparing the Pro 900 to the D2000 with the three suggested tunes these are what I quickly scribbled down while listening:

 

 

Phaeleh - Afterglow
 
Pro 900: Very clean sounding. Bass is tamed, punchy and the Pro 900 doesn't seem to miss any details. The bass doesn't miss a beat.
D2000: Also very clean sounding. Bass is a little looser, though still very managed. Very detailed and crisp.
 
True Romance - dBridge
 
Pro 900: More authorative bass, despite a brighter sound image. 
D2000: A little looser bass and little warmer picture.
 
James Blake - Limit To Your Love
 
Pro 900: Vocals seem a bit off. Not really off as in bad sounding, but gives a little unnatural picture of his voice. The bass is fast and powerful enough to handle this one with authority.
D2000: Very nice vocals. I'd vocals are better on D2000. Though it gets interesting when the bass starts in this one. I feel that the bass is the make or break on this song, and to be honest, the D2000's bass is too slow for this one - so the bass becomes like one big rumble instead of short fast bass beats. It's not really one big rumble, but close to.
 
The James Blake tune is the tune where it's easiest to distinguish the charasteristics of the two headphones. The Pro 900 is audibly faster and punchier with the bass while the D2000 gives a more natural picture at the expense of speed and that raw "energy" I described earlier. I have to say that the differences between these two cans are pretty minimal anyway. These differences are however what makes or breaks with certain music. Do I regret having both? No, not at all. Albeit being early and not having either really broken in (The D2000 is about a month old and I got it as a birthday gift), it is easy for me to pinpoint already the different uses these two cans have. The Pro 900 is clearly more tuned towards faster paced music, while the D2000 really shines with everything else that is a little slower. I wouldn't recommend anyone over the other, however, if you know as a fact that you listen more to bassier and faster styles like D'n'B or anything electro ending with -core - the Pro 900 will obviously be your better friend. If you listen more to hiphop or reggae och anything with a little slower pace, I think the D2000 will outshine the Pro 900 because of the more conventional sound signature and a little more "natural sound".
 
As for soundstage I think they are very comparable. The D2000 is a little more 2D and the Pro 900 3D - though, I wouldn't say that either is better than the other. Actually, they are comparable in any kind of situation. The main differences are that the D2000 are a bit slower and the Pro 900 more authorative.
 
The most natural analogy I can come to think of is someone waterskiing; the D2000 is the one skiing - riding the waves and surfing calmly after the boat. The Pro 900 is the boat.
 
I hope I have helped a little and I hope you take this comparison with a little grain of salt; neither are really burned in and both headphones can handle what they are served. If you go with just one of them - you'll be more than fine. None really outshines the other.
 


 


I can do these ones a little later, okay? Though, I don't think the outcome will change much..

 

D2000 - an allround performer

Pro 900 - does electronic music "perfectly"

 

Pretty new, mind-blowing and staggering information, right? wink_face.gif

 


Edited by Coq de Combat - 12/30/11 at 2:13pm
post #57 of 131

Great comparison! And cheers for not insulting my taste in music lol.

 

Seems to fit in with the general consensus of both cans. Pro900 is somewhat unatural sounding, not great with vocals but excels with synthesised beat driven music. Denons are more natural and better for all-round general listening.


Edited by shamrock134 - 12/30/11 at 2:20pm
post #58 of 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock134 View Post

Great comparison! And cheers for not insulting my taste in music lol.

 

Seems to fit in with the general consensus of both cans. Pro900 is somewhat unatural sounding, not great with vocals but excels with synthesised beat driven music. Denons are more natural and better for all-round general listening.



LOL, no problems. Actually, I really liked the first song. I'm saving that one. A lot better than most brostep with that wobbly bass.. Check out without.directive too, love that mixture of classical and dubstep and dnb. Especially the song: Schema F: irst symbiosis feat. urton

 

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Though, both cans are kind of revealing so they might not always be the best choice when it comes to more obscure EDM/UK Bass as there seems to be a big variation with the production quality within said genres. I've found that songs I really loved before became unbearable because of the D2000 because the song really wasn't up to par with the revealing nature of higher end cans. So you might want to keep one otherwise capable yet little more forgiving can at hands for those songs .. Which one of these are more forgiving: I think I'd have to say the D2000, but it's not by a large margin to my ears. Again, none of them are really broken in so... 


Edited by Coq de Combat - 12/30/11 at 2:30pm
post #59 of 131
Thread Starter 

Great comparison - maybe the pro 900's is more for me, due to its fast hitting bass.

I'll see! :)

post #60 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

Great comparison - maybe the pro 900's is more for me, due to its fast hitting bass.

I'll see! :)



Well, the thing is that I don't want to keep watering the notion that there are 'huge' differences between these two. In fact, I think they are somewhat alike once you get used to their respective sound signatures. Yes, there are differences, but they aren't night and day. One of those differences are the faster bass of the Pro 900 and IMO a more V-shaped sound than the D2000. The sound differences are equalizable (if you EQ down the bass it becomes a very fine headphone for other genres than beat-centric EDM). Another difference that just struck me is that the Pro 900 actually manages to tickle my earcanals even with guitars, pianos and other acoustic instruments, (which is something I never felt from the D2000) - meaning it seems to move a little more air.

 

You'll be fine whichever you choose to buy; they are both very fine pieces of equipment and will satisfy your bass needs. basshead.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-XB1000 vs Denon AH-D2000 - Coming from XB700's