Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-SA3000 VS Audio Technica ATH-AD700
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-SA3000 VS Audio Technica ATH-AD700

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

hi guys, i think ive narrowed down my choices in gaming headphones to these.

 

i was initially set on the AD700s but having read this post:

 

http://base.teamxbox.com/blog-post/43202/4403/01-20-2008/p1/

 

i have added the Sony's to the list. the reason being is that the poster gives top marks to the SA5000, and i have read they are almost identical to the 3000 apart from having more bass

 

bass is not a priority for me, and actually id rather give up the bass response in order to have better positioning and soundstage to hear footsteps in fps games i play

 

 

please could you tell me which overall would be the best headphone to use of these (or others???) for soundstage, positioning, clarity and transparency

 

 

i also listen to much music but i prefer to listen to a bass-light sound (even though i love death metal and hardcore dance music)

 

 

thanks all!!!

post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 

bump.. please help guys i am buying myself a birthday present and need to order them for friday

 

thanks

post #3 of 13

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the SA3000 by far. For it's asking price, it's a good deal. It's fairly bass light IMO, but has good mids, tons of detail and more than enough treble for anyone. Probably less treble than the AD700, but it's sounds a lot more natural than the AD700.

 

Not sure how they compare when it comes to detail and sounstage. Sa3000 is definitely pretty clear and very detailed. I don't think I could suggest it without an amp though. The AD700 is much easier to drive.

 

If you have an amp, you should save a little more and try to score a Q701 for $225. It's worth every penny IMO and it's my favorite gaming headphone. Definitely has more bass than the SA3000 and AD700, but harder to drive.

 

You could also look into the AD900, but I haven't heard that. It's supposed to sound better than the AD700.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the SA3000 by far. For it's asking price, it's a good deal. It's fairly bass light IMO, but has good mids, tons of detail and more than enough treble for anyone. Probably less treble than the AD700, but it's sounds a lot more natural than the AD700.

 

Not sure how they compare when it comes to detail and sounstage. Sa3000 is definitely pretty clear and very detailed. I don't think I could suggest it without an amp though. The AD700 is much easier to drive.

 

If you have an amp, you should save a little more and try to score a Q701 for $225. It's worth every penny IMO and it's my favorite gaming headphone. Definitely has more bass than the SA3000 and AD700, but harder to drive.

 

You could also look into the AD900, but I haven't heard that. It's supposed to sound better than the AD700.



trouble is i dont have an amp, and will be driving it from a Titanium HD! are there any cheap headphone amps you could suggest?

 

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/btech/bt928/bte-techbt928

 

is this good?

 

the headphone amp must have line-in via phono or mini-jack connection... ive heard great things about fiio amps but they are usb only right?


Edited by XenatR - 12/28/11 at 2:35pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenatR View Post



trouble is i dont have an amp, and will be driving it from a Titanium HD! are there any cheap headphone amps you could suggest?

 

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/btech/bt928/bte-techbt928

 

is this good?

 

the headphone amp must have line-in via phono or mini-jack connection... ive heard great things about fiio amps but they are usb only right?

Most Fiio amps have a 1/8" input. You could also try the AD300. I actually prefer it's sound to the AD700 and it's a bit cheaper.

It has better and fuller sounding mids than the AD700, less treble and less detail, but more bass. AD700 is slightly clearer and has a bigger soundstage though.

I once scored an AD300 for $35 new an it was quite the surprise considering how good it is.
 

 

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Most Fiio amps have a 1/8" input. You could also try the AD300. I actually prefer it's sound to the AD700 and it's a bit cheaper.

It has better and fuller sounding mids than the AD700, less treble and less detail, but more bass. AD700 is slightly clearer and has a bigger soundstage though.

I once scored an AD300 for $35 new an it was quite the surprise considering how good it is.
 

 



im pretty much only interested in soundstage, speed, transparency and basically all qualities necessary for a great gaming headphone. bass doesnt bother me at all, infact i find bass fatiguing!

 

would the Titanium HD suffice in driving the SA3000? it apparently has an output capable of 300ohms, and the Sony are 70ohm headphones

 

id really like to know how comfortable the Sony's are, because i currently have ATH-A900, and they are super comfortable. i also have HD 555 and find them AWFUL in terms of comfort... they really hurt the top of my head after 20mins use

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenatR View Post
im pretty much only interested in soundstage, speed, transparency and basically all qualities necessary for a great gaming headphone. bass doesnt bother me at all, infact i find bass fatiguing!

would the Titanium HD suffice in driving the SA3000? it apparently has an output capable of 300ohms, and the Sony are 70ohm headphones

id really like to know how comfortable the Sony's are, because i currently have ATH-A900, and they are super comfortable. i also have HD 555 and find them AWFUL in terms of comfort... they really hurt the top of my head after 20mins use

I'm going to "guess" the Titanium HD would have no problems driving the (70-Ohm) Sony MBR-SA3000.

Never used or even head of the SA3000 before today.

Please post a review on them if you buy them.
 

 

 

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I'm going to "guess" the Titanium HD would have no problems driving the (70-Ohm) Sony MBR-SA3000.

Never used or even head of the SA3000 before today.

Please post a review on them if you buy them.
 

 

 



i think i will order them, then probably at some point in future order the AD700 and do a comparison.

 

do you think i should order the Fiio e9 amp to go with the Titianium HD and the headphones?

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenatR View Post
I think i will order them, then probably at some point in future order the AD700 and do a comparison.

Do you think i should order the Fiio e9 amp to go with the Titianium HD and the headphones?


I'm guessing once you have the SA3000, no point in getting the AD700s.

I never really use my AD700s anymore, the lack of bass is a turn off.

Try hooking straight into the Titanium HD for now, you could always order an external headphone amplifier at a later date.

Besides, best prices are from Feb. to May.

 

 

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

you dont think i should go for an amp straight away?

 

some people say they are a necessity for any ohm rating headphones :o

 

id probably get the Fiio e9 + qed reference j2p rca mini jack cable

 

 

what would u do?

 

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenatR View Post
You dont think i should go for an amp straight away?

Some people say they are a necessity for any ohm rating headphones :o

I'd probably get the Fiio e9 + qed reference j2p rca mini jack cable

what would u do?

I also think headphone amplifiers are a must for any Ohm rating

If several people on Head-Fi who owned the T-HD (Titanium HD) and the Fiio E9 and said the E9 made headphones sound way better, then those are great reasons.

I just tried comparing my Essence STX headphone amplifier to my Muse EH 6922 single tube headphone headphone amplifier, using the STX RCA outputs.

Testing using Sennheiser HD-558s 50-Ohm and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm

Not a whole lot of difference in sound (to me), nothing says to that i need to use the external tube amp over the STX.

 

Now the Muse is a simple low cost ($70) Class A headphone amplifier (From China).

The Essence STX is upgraded with three LME49860NAs op-amps.

The E9 and STX use the same TI headphone amplifier chip.

 

If the Fiio E9 was easy to return if you decided it did not make a big difference, that makes it easy on ordering it.

I do think the Fiio E9 seems like a good bang for the buck.

I'm sure if you got a $250 Schiit Asguard, it would sound better the the T-HD.

 

The best price on the T-HD mail order is Amazon ($140) and Creative Labs has refurb T-HDs for $100.

If you have a local Frys, the T-HD is $130.

 


 

 

 

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I also think headphone amplifiers are a must for any Ohm rating

If several people on Head-Fi who owned the T-HD (Titanium HD) and the Fiio E9 and said the E9 made headphones sound way better, then those are great reasons.

I just tried comparing my Essence STX headphone amplifier to my Muse EH 6922 single tube headphone headphone amplifier, using the STX RCA outputs.

Testing using Sennheiser HD-558s 50-Ohm and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm

Not a whole lot of difference in sound (to me), nothing says to that i need to use the external tube amp over the STX.

 

Now the Muse is a simple low cost ($70) Class A headphone amplifier (From China).

The Essence STX is upgraded with three LME49860NAs op-amps.

The E9 and STX use the same TI headphone amplifier chip.

 

If the Fiio E9 was easy to return if you decided it did not make a big difference, that makes it easy on ordering it.

I do think the Fiio E9 seems like a good bang for the buck.

I'm sure if you got a $250 Schiit Asguard, it would sound better the the T-HD.

 

The best price on the T-HD mail order is Amazon ($140) and Creative Labs has refurb T-HDs for $100.

If you have a local Frys, the T-HD is $130.

 


 

 

 



thanks for your help, i ended up just ordering the SA3000.. then if i feel the need, i will get an amp afterwards!

 

thanks for your help :) i hope it sounds good! :)

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenatR View Post
thanks for your help, i ended up just ordering the SA3000.. then if i feel the need, i will get an amp afterwards!

thanks for your help :) i hope it sounds good! :)


The stock op-amps on the T-HD meet and exceed the stock op-amps that come on the STX.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-SA3000 VS Audio Technica ATH-AD700