Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions - Page 38

post #556 of 664

Been enjoying my D7 quite a bit on my Hackintosh. I went from an ALC889a to this for a small, but noticeable improvement on my Klipsch ProMedia's. I have zero issues with it. I love that I don't need a driver for it. This is the perfect little device for someone wading into audiophile waters. I can add an amp later if I wish, or just use the DAC + amp combo.

 

I've yet to try headphones. One of these days, I'll give it a shot.

post #557 of 664

Hi everyone,

 

Was wondering if you could make an additional recommendation for me of sorts. I am thinking of getting the D7 for use at home only with my PC, but would also like an "on the go" solution from iBasso as well. I have a pair of Shure SRH-940s- fairly sensitive, not too hard of a load to drive.

 

I was thinking of maybe getting a solution to upgrade my iPod sound at work. Does anyone on this thread have experience with the Pure iPod dock plus maybe the D12 Anaconda unit? I am wondering how much of a potential there is for upgraded sound from that.

 

OR

 

Should I just get something like the T5 plus a line-out cable for use with the iPod? I know there is a significant difference in cost between the two, but I didn't want to necessarily spend the money if using the Wolfson in the D12 wouldn't make much difference over the stock iPod DAC.

 

Any other suggestions? Thoughts on the above combinations with my 940s? Thanks so much :)

 

-Tyler

post #558 of 664

Has there been any info on what the gain is in the two settings, that you can choose from on the D7?

post #559 of 664

If is the same as the D6 you can expect : +3/10dB

post #560 of 664

 

Yep, found listening nirvana finally LCD-2 rev1...P4 fed by the D7 DAC

 

THANK YOU HEAD-FI

post #561 of 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulybatz View Post

 

Yep, found listening nirvana finally LCD-2 rev1...P4 fed by the D7 DAC

 

THANK YOU HEAD-FI



pauly,

 

 

Can I get some headphone pron showing that set-up?  Thanks!

 

 

(I bet that sounds kick ass)  :)

 

post #562 of 664


post #45

 

Here's the link TF...happy listening!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps Fan View Post



pauly,

 

 

Can I get some headphone pron showing that set-up?  Thanks!

 

 

(I bet that sounds kick ass)  :)

 



 

post #563 of 664


Do you find a big difference between the internal amp of the D7 and the P4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulybatz View Post

 

Yep, found listening nirvana finally LCD-2 rev1...P4 fed by the D7 DAC

 

THANK YOU HEAD-FI



 

post #564 of 664

Finding it very hard to decide between this DAC and it's competitors.

No one seems to dislike their choice and finding comparisons seem to be very rare.

 

If anyone has heard other similar DACs, please chime in! Thanks

post #565 of 664

Any opinion about DACport compared to D7?

Is it worth paying the double or the difference in the price is mainly because of more expensive production (made in USA vs made in China) and brand name?

Anybody who had/has both?

Thank you!

post #566 of 664

The question was for uelover...it seems that I have to learn more about navigating and posting in various threads...sorry for that

 

Just a newbie and wondering if  I can use the D7 with my Audioengine 2 powered speakers. (they do have RCA connectors and volume control).

However the main use would be to replace my FiiO E10 and play with my Beyerdynamic DT880/250 and Sennheiser HD650.

I have also posted a question about the D7 compared to the DACport.

Your opinion and time are much appreciated.

 


Edited by Photogeo180 - 4/13/12 at 3:15pm
post #567 of 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeo180 View Post

The question was for uelover...it seems that I have to learn more about navigating and posting in various threads...sorry for that

 

Just a newbie and wondering if  I can use the D7 with my Audioengine 2 powered speakers. (they do have RCA connectors and volume control).

However the main use would be to replace my FiiO E10 and play with my Beyerdynamic DT880/250 and Sennheiser HD650.

I have also posted a question about the D7 compared to the DACport.

Your opinion and time are much appreciated.

 


Suddenly I saw my nick in blue. You mean 'is'? =)

 

Yes you can use the D7 with your AE2 with a RCA cable. The RCA output on the D7 is not controlled by the volume knot on the D7 so you will only control the volume on your AE2.

 

I didn't try the DACPort before so I can't comment on it but you will need to find a 1/4" connector to RCA cable which is not so common. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with choosing the D7 =)

 

post #568 of 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeo180 View Post  Any opinion about DACport compared to D7? Is it worth paying the double or the difference in the price is mainly because of more expensive production (made in USA vs made in China) and brand name? Anybody who had/has both? Thank you!


I'll chime in. I don't own the DACPort, but I have had a good deal of experience with it, and A/B'ed it against my D7. I do believe the DACPort has a blacker background, and a more neutral, less warm tonality. Personally, I prefer its sound to the D7's, but guess what, I have the D7 and not the DACPort! Why? For the following reasons: (1) the sound is close enough that I don't feel paying extra for a DACPort is worth it for me, personally, when I can just get an amp like the O2 and hook it up to the line-out of the D7 (kudos for its extra connectivity), (2) the D7 has <1 ohm output impedance, while the DACPort has to be factory-modded (for extra $$) to 1 ohm output, and with mostly IEMs and an easy-to-drive HD598 in my collection, it's easy for me to choose the D7, and (3) the lack of connectivity for the DACPort is a little bothersome.

post #569 of 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post


I'll chime in. I don't own the DACPort, but I have had a good deal of experience with it, and A/B'ed it against my D7. I do believe the DACPort has a blacker background, and a more neutral, less warm tonality. Personally, I prefer its sound to the D7's, but guess what, I have the D7 and not the DACPort! Why? For the following reasons: (1) the sound is close enough that I don't feel paying extra for a DACPort is worth it for me, personally, when I can just get an amp like the O2 and hook it up to the line-out of the D7 (kudos for its extra connectivity), (2) the D7 has <1 ohm output impedance, while the DACPort has to be factory-modded (for extra $$) to 1 ohm output, and with mostly IEMs and an easy-to-drive HD598 in my collection, it's easy for me to choose the D7, and (3) the lack of connectivity for the DACPort is a little bothersome.


Can you compare it to anything else? (The D7 that is)

 

post #570 of 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullstring View Post  Can you compare it to anything else? (The D7 that is)


In the same class of devices? The HUD-mx1, which isn't nearly as refined and is prone to sibilance (might change if you switch out to another opamp), and the TE7022L USB receiver has been well documented to lose bits (well, even the best can only get about 20 bits effective performance, but TE7022-based devices get a maximum of 16.X bits even in 24-bit mode, and this phenomenon has been well-documented). I haven't had experience with the HeadStreamer (though I really want to hear it) nor the Audioengine D1. I'd love to get something like a Grace Design m903, but that's not so portable, is it? I look forward to the ODAC, though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions