Definitely a different flavor from the Bifrost dac. I am hearing more low end resolution, texture and control. Perhaps better equipment matching.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCEntrance DACport USB Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/22/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/22/12
- productibasso D10 Cobratagged by System, 6/22/12
- productIbasso d4 Mambatagged by System, 6/22/12
- productiBasso D7tagged by System, 6/22/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 6/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- Would AD700 benefit from iBasso D4 Mamba? Last post on 8/17/11 at 10:52pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- good portable amp for grado325is? Last post on 1/25/11 at 2:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Broken iBasso D4? Help? Last post on 11/3/11 at 11:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso D10 Cobra or iBasso D4 Mamba Last post on 8/28/10 at 3:44pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Which amps go well with PRO 2900? Last post on 5/25/12 at 1:11am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions - Page 30post #436 of 6713/1/12 at 5:07pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #437 of 6713/1/12 at 5:18pmQuote:
You should connect the coaxial out from the D7 to the bifrost and see how that soundspost #438 of 6713/1/12 at 6:09pmQuote:
I don't quite understand your comment above. Are preferring the D7 or the Bitfrost?post #439 of 6713/1/12 at 6:30pmQuote:
What are you trying to test for? The USB receiver competency between the one in the Bifrost vs that on the D7 (XMOS)?post #440 of 6713/1/12 at 6:38pmQuote:
since you mention it, I personally curious how X-mos L1 compared to CM6631post #441 of 6713/1/12 at 6:42pm
I was just wondering about the usb to spdif function
post #442 of 6713/1/12 at 7:09pm
I had a chance to compare the XMOS implementation on the D7 vs that of my Stello U3, both connected using coaxial output, to my desktop DAC.
The one on the D7, albeit good, paled in comparison to the one on my U3 - coaxial out from the D7 sounded dull and lacking dynamics and soundstage (both width and depth). I am speaking of them in relative terms, for D7 alone is already a bliss to listen to.
My point is that, given the fact that different implementation of the same chip itself can lead to a large variance in result, it is not quite possible to compare the chipset (XMOS vs CM6331) used in the USB Receiver. It could give you a rough idea of their sound signature, but that might also lead one to develop an inaccurate belief about certain product or certain brand.
It is, however, possible to compare which USB Receiver (the XMOS implementation on D7 VS CM6331 implementation on the Bifrost) as a whole is better given your very own specific setup =)
Edited by uelover - 3/1/12 at 7:10pmpost #443 of 6713/1/12 at 8:12pmpost #444 of 6713/1/12 at 8:41pm
Update: After applying some updates it now says there was a power surge on the USB port and that I have to reset the USB port. After resetting the USB port I keep getting the same message. It also says the device uses too much power. I'm using a laptop. Maybe it would work on a desktop with Windows 8?
Edit: My Fiio E7 works fine with Windows 8.
Edited by Foxjam - 3/1/12 at 8:44pmpost #445 of 6713/1/12 at 11:21pm
The fact that Windows 8 is a consumer preview, thus a rough beta to give you a hint of what the final OS will be like, might have something to do with the D7 not being recognized correctly...post #446 of 6713/2/12 at 12:14ampost #447 of 6713/2/12 at 12:22ampost #448 of 6713/2/12 at 1:01ampost #449 of 6713/2/12 at 1:41am
Variable line-out - wouldn't that defeat the purpose of line-level output?post #450 of 6713/2/12 at 7:15am
I do realize it's just the preview but I thought it was weird that it said it was drawing too much power when it didn't do that with Windows 7. The power consumption is the same. It sucks because the D7 sounds so much better than the E7. Hopefully I can find a solution or it looks like it's time for a new DAC. Windows 8 looks too nice to go back to Windows 7.
- D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 27 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 51 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 2 minutes ago
- › Burson Cable+ Active Voltage Raising / Impedance Matching Cable 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Appreciation and Discussion Thread:... 6 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 7 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo Contest - Limited Time! 7 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear