or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions - Page 14

post #196 of 671

Galaxy Nexus on LTE or 3G. Interestingly it's fine on Wifi.

post #197 of 671

 

I couldn't find mention of it in this or other D7 threads, so hopefully I didn't simply miss it, but does anyone else using a Mac and the D7 get this OSX warning every time you turn it on?

 

Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled.

To prevent damaging your computer, the USB device drawing too much power has been disabled. Other devices may have also been disabled. When you disconnect the device drawing too much power, your other USB devices will be enabled again.

 

--I get this on two different Macs (MBP & MBA) so it isn't just one system--both are running 10.7.2.

--It happens on both USB ports on both Macs, and I don't have anything else externally connected to any USB port.

--It happens with both cables that came with the D7 and a third cable--plus I tried these same cables with another DAC, and they all worked fine.

--It happens regardless of gain setting, and rebooting doesn't change the behavior.

--I've never had this with any other USB DACs I've used with these systems, and according to System Report, this and the other DACs have the same "Current Required".

 

The D7 _does_ work--it shows-up as a device ~10 seconds after the warning each time.  I emailed support, and they said that this is normal behavior and is how it works with Macs, but I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

 

I'll maybe dig-out an old PC laptop from the closet and throw Linux or something on it to see what happens there, but wanted to check if I'm the only one getting this or is this in fact normal?

 

post #198 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluishgreen View Post

 

I couldn't find mention of it in this or other D7 threads, so hopefully I didn't simply miss it, but does anyone else using a Mac and the D7 get this OSX warning every time you turn it on?

 

Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled.

To prevent damaging your computer, the USB device drawing too much power has been disabled. Other devices may have also been disabled. When you disconnect the device drawing too much power, your other USB devices will be enabled again.


I get this too everytime I turn on the D7. At the moment, I connect the D7 via a USB hub instead of direct to my Mac and this warning message does not appear. The SQ fortunately does not take any hit just that at times I may experience some electrical noise (due to the externally powered USB hub that I was using)

 

I am not sure if it is a limitation of Apple's laptop so I am curious to hear iMac/Mac Pro users on this one.

post #199 of 671

I have never encountered a portable amp that was not susceptible to iPhone interference. I doubt that this is anything special to the D7.

post #200 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

I have never encountered a portable amp that was not susceptible to iPhone interference. I doubt that this is anything special to the D7.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post

I just sat my iPhone 4s on top of it, and I didn't detect anything...


confused_face%281%29.gif



 

post #201 of 671

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post

 

Which phone do you own?  I just sat my iPhone 4s on top of it, and I didn't detect anything...


It doesn't happen every moment. Hang around like that, I am guessing that an issue will arise. 

 

I do not own the D7...

post #202 of 671

My iBasso P4 used to pick up interference from my Sony Xperia phone until I changed to a shielded cable for the line-in.

 

But the D7 is a DAC so things are different. It doesn't pick up any interference from my Xperia phone though (I always leave my phone beside it)

post #203 of 671

What Xperia did you have and how did you get a line-out through USB on Android?

post #204 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post


I get this too everytime I turn on the D7. At the moment, I connect the D7 via a USB hub instead of direct to my Mac and this warning message does not appear. The SQ fortunately does not take any hit just that at times I may experience some electrical noise (due to the externally powered USB hub that I was using)

 

I am not sure if it is a limitation of Apple's laptop so I am curious to hear iMac/Mac Pro users on this one.


 

OK--at least I know I'm not the only one.  I don't have a USB hub around to see if that changes things, but it isn't a big deal to OK the warning.  I just wanted to make sure the amp wasn't defective.  My systems are fairly recent ones too--the Mac Book Pro is the mid-2010 one (actually my work computer, not mine) and the Mac Book Air is the latest mid-2011 one.  

 

Surprised it happens on the left-side USB port on the MBA, since that port's bus is pretty much unused.  Almost all the internal stuff on the MBA (camera, keyboard, trackpad, bluetooth) run off the right-side port's bus.  Only the card reader runs off the left-side port's bus, which is why I always use that one for DACs.

 

post #205 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie584 View Post

What Xperia did you have and how did you get a line-out through USB on Android?


I guess you should have realized that the D7 does not have an internal battery. Mobile phones won't be able to power the D7.

 

As for digital line out, the current Android version does not support it.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluishgreen View Post

Surprised it happens on the left-side USB port on the MBA, since that port's bus is pretty much unused.  Almost all the internal stuff on the MBA (camera, keyboard, trackpad, bluetooth) run off the right-side port's bus.  Only the card reader runs off the left-side port's bus, which is why I always use that one for DACs.


It happens on my Macbook Pro even though I have absolutely nothing connected to it (other than the power cable).

 

post #206 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post


I guess you should have realized that the D7 does not have an internal battery. Mobile phones won't be able to power the D7.

 

As for digital line out, the current Android version does not support it.

 



Forgot about that, whoops redface.gif And I knew that, I was just wondering if there was a workaround that he could've been using.

post #207 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie584 View Post

Forgot about that, whoops redface.gif And I knew that, I was just wondering if there was a workaround that he could've been using.



There could be a way but it would be extremely difficult and takes a lot of diy skills. The D-Zero/D6 would be more appropriate for use with a phone should android support USB audio line out in the Ice Cream.

 

=)

post #208 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post


It happens on my Macbook Pro even though I have absolutely nothing connected to it (other than the power cable).

 



Interesting--I just updated to OSX 10.7.3, and the problem seems to be fixed, for the most part:

  • If I turn it off-and-on relatively close together (like 10 seconds or so) it occurs every other time, rather than every time.
  • If I wait a minute or so before turning it on again, then it doesn't seem to happen at all.

 

OSX likely reserves and tallies the amount of required current on the bus, and it takes a minute or so to expire something disconnected.  This must have been broken before.  I only tested waiting over a minute--it could be less, but of course we aren't turning things off-and-on like that under normal use anyway, so I'd consider it fixed...

 

post #209 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post



I asked this question also, just got a response from iBasso "...the D7's output impedance is less than 1ohm".

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post
For IEMs, I see no further than D7. For full size headphones

 

That's it, I'm getting one! Thanks guys!
 

 

post #210 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migou67 View Post

I agree last nigth I sleep only 5 hours, loosing time to figure out how to remove Pulseaudio from my linux and listening also :)

Now I can play with Amarok -> Gstreamer -> Alsa and no more mixer from the OS, using the alsamixer directly.

 

This DAC have a great sound.


Just install Clementine player and set it up to use ALSA directly... First, find the Device ID of your D7. Start a terminal and run "alsamixer" - press F6 to bring up this:

 

alsamixer2.1.png

 

Make a note of the sound card number, then go to settings in Clementine:

clementine.png

 

Notice output plugin and output device. Make sure you set the buffer duration between 20 and 50ms for asynchronous USB.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions