or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions - Page 11

post #151 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

For IEMs, I see no further than D7.


You have me visiting the iBasso site too often with this. I still haven't pulled the trigger though...
 

 

post #152 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

You have me visiting the iBasso site too often with this. I still haven't pulled the trigger though...


Wasn't it the DX100 that increased your trips to iBasso site? tongue_smile.gif

 

post #153 of 671

Well I'm just plain going there too often!  :-)

post #154 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

How well does the D7 pair with low-impedance IEMs? Any word on output impedance? Having just ordered UM Merlins (12ohm) and looking for a portable amp/dac combo, the D7 does look rather nice!



I asked this question also, just got a response from iBasso "...the D7's output impedance is less than 1ohm".

 

Edited by blockhead - 1/30/12 at 9:17pm
post #155 of 671

I started like you and finally bought the D7, be careful :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Well I'm just plain going there too often!  :-)



 

post #156 of 671

How sound can be subjectif :) The D1 is more analytical and the D7 more musical to my hears, but the main problem with the D1 is the USB implementation, too much hiss ! The other think with the D1 is the impedance of the amp, you dont have a fine tuning of the volume.

With the D7 you can play 24/192 tracks and this is not possible with the D1, for me is a better DAC, but like you say at the headphone amp I will use the D7 only with IEM and here the D1 is better and more if you do the opamp rolling.

Finaly I use the D1 tube out as a DAC source for my living room Pionneer Amp. The D7 is totaly quiet and this for the studio monitor and the Maverick A1 is just perfect.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post



The Maverick D1, when used solely as a DAC, is better (subjectively) than the D7. Regarding the headphone out of the D1, after opamp rolling (which costs less than USD10), it is able to drive difficult to drive cans with greater authority and great sound. However, it does not do well with IEMs due to noise.

 

If you take out A1 out of the equation (which makes it Maverick D1 vs iBasso D7), both have their own strength and weakness. The ultimate choice will have to be the headphones you are using them with. For IEMs, I see no further than D7. For full size headphones, it has got to be a case by case basis.

 


Edited by Migou67 - 1/31/12 at 12:08am
post #157 of 671

I think it has got to do with the tube and the power cord. =)

 

I was totally happy with my D1 when used with HD600 after I have changed my opamps. However, using low impedance iems or headphones on the D1/A1 will be a disaster.

 

Adding another headlamp to the D7 may double the cost. If the objective is to drive big cans with a single box setup at around USD200, I will still think the D1 is a good buy while I will not doubt that the D7 will pair better with the A1 because the A1 has got very poor volume control (much poorer than the D1).

 

I just love how the D7 is an excellent single box setup for iems. It has everything I would dream of at an excellent price. 

 

The ability to play hi res files is not important to me since all of my favorite tracks are in the rebook format. I think that as of now, the most important thing is still SQ =)
 

 

Edit: Migou67, the 2 lineouts from my D1 are quiet though. Do you mean that the HO out is hissing? Is you mean that then it is perfectly normal =)


Edited by uelover - 1/31/12 at 1:00am
post #158 of 671

For me the hiss is from the USB, I can listen the mouse moving in applications trough the D1 ! This append only with my laptop, but the D7 on the same situation is totaly quiet. For the price is a very good unit and you have the tube out, also with high impedance headphones is better than the D7. At home I use the D7 with the A1/HD650 and on the move the D7 with the IE80, a very useful DAC :)

post #159 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migou67 View Post

For me the hiss is from the USB, I can listen the mouse moving in applications trough the D1 ! 


eek.gif

 

post #160 of 671

Yes :) this only append with my old laptop, but the D7 is quiet in the same situation, that why I say before that the USB implementation in the D1 is lacking some thing. I have only used the orginal USB cable, because audiophile USB cable are at the price of the DAC and not sure that solved my issue ...

post #161 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migou67 View Post

Yes smily_headphones1.gif this only append with my old laptop, but the D7 is quiet in the same situation, that why I say before that the USB implementation in the D1 is lacking some thing. I have only used the orginal USB cable, because audiophile USB cable are at the price of the DAC and not sure that solved my issue ...

Audiophile USB cable won't help your situation.

The d7 uses the xmos USB receiver. Also, the stock USB cable that comes with the d7 has the ferrite rings which rejects noise. These explains why smily_headphones1.gif
post #162 of 671

My D7 keeps disconnecting every few hours or so. Have to unplug and then it works fine again...for a few hours. 

post #163 of 671

You can check your USB settings in the bios, last evening I have disabled an option named USB Sleep & Power, it was in mode 1 for me, maybe you can find some thing relevent to your problem.

post #164 of 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migou67 View Post

Yes :) this only append with my old laptop, but the D7 is quiet in the same situation, that why I say before that the USB implementation in the D1 is lacking some thing. I have only used the orginal USB cable, because audiophile USB cable are at the price of the DAC and not sure that solved my issue ...


Even 1000$ USB cable won't help here. The best way to solve the problem is galvanic isolation of USB power line. Ferrite rings doesn't do anything, rather then make users think that with this ring the cable is EMI/RFI bulletproof. Just google "USB isolator" and you will see couple devices that can really help to solve this problem. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Acromag-USB-Isolator-simple-and-inexpensive-bus-powered-USB-isolation-ADuM4160 Here is a small discussion on USB isolator based on famous ADuM4160. Good luck.

 

post #165 of 671

Hi guys,

I was pulling between DACport LX, HRT MS2+ and now this one came along. :) Which is makes choosing even harder. Is anyone had a chance compare this three? confused.gif


Edited by shrisha - 1/31/12 at 5:19am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions