I wouldn't expect different tubes to give the WA6 any significant power difference. It does drive my HE-4s well but I reckon that's not the same as an HE-500.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Sonett, WA6 SE or MAD Ear+HD for Grado? Last post on 4/21/11 at 5:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amp replacement? Last post on 12/7/10 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack Last post on 3/23/13 at 11:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I tried the v-moda m100 a few months ago when I purchased it and deciding between them and the hd 650. In the end I kept the 650, these headphones are without a doubt pretty overpriced for the...
Me: I am a 21 year old Engineering student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and...
It seems petty to complain about a $100 hi-res/high capacity player, but I'll give it whirl. It might help to understand that I've been using iPods and iTunes since Apple came out with the...
I have to talk about my expectation on this Headphone first. I am not a senior audiophile. 3 years ago, my first pair of AKG K601 lead me into this wonderful world of audiophile. This pair...
IEMs I own and have used extensively before: Vsonic GR07 (single dynamic), Vsonic VC1000 (dual BA), Etymotic HF5 (single BA) (all around or slightly above $100). Fit and Comfort The...
Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 67post #991 of 189510/26/13 at 1:48pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 189510/27/13 at 9:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by radiomir
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the HD 650 and LCD-2 as open-ear upgrades to my HD 595s. I wish the TH900 were more widely available for trial because I think you are right about specific frequency related brightness sensitivity. Some speakers and headphones that are "bright" don't bother me and some do.
Also, for those using equalizers, are using software equalizers in your media player or a physical unit?
It looks like earlier posts indicate that HE-500 doesn't play well (or as well compared to 600/650 and LCD-2) with WA6. I wonder if this is still the case with upgraded tubes?
You're welcome. :)
I use Equalizer APO which is open source and has an unlimited number of bands which gives extreme flexibility. You create each setting in a txt file. It can be a bit daunting, but it is pretty straight forward and very easy if you just use a template and adjust it to your liking.post #993 of 189511/7/13 at 6:36ampost #994 of 189511/7/13 at 6:50amQuote:
I find it an excellent comination IMHO, drives it with authority. With a Sofia Princess and a couple of fat bottle 6FD7's (with some burn in) you wont regret it!post #995 of 189511/7/13 at 9:58ampost #996 of 189511/7/13 at 11:16amQuote:
I felt like you got the most out of using the 6fd7 tubes, the others are not powerful enough. Anyways the wa6-se is good with he-500 and the right tubes.
Anyways, also consider the wa7, jack woo says it drives the he-500 better than wa6sepost #997 of 189511/7/13 at 6:28pmHry guys I recently got a WA6 and initially I am finding it a bit too aggressive in the upper mids. Snare drums and female vocals are sounding too bright with my RS1 and AD2KX. I swapped in a JJ GZ34 and it was a bit better than the stock tube (sovtek?). The driver tubes are RCA 6FD7s. I was wondering in your experience(s) what tube combo would warm up those mids?post #998 of 189511/7/13 at 6:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by bassboysam
Hry guys I recently got a WA6 and initially I am finding it a bit too aggressive in the upper mids. Snare drums and female vocals are sounding too bright with my RS1 and AD2KX. I swapped in a JJ GZ34 and it was a bit better than the stock tube (sovtek?). The driver tubes are RCA 6FD7s. I was wondering in your experience(s) what tube combo would warm up those mids?
all GZ34 tend to be forward and not very warm.
try 5U4G or 5R4GYpost #999 of 189511/7/13 at 7:02pmpost #1000 of 189511/7/13 at 8:39pmQuote:
I never have the volume above 10 o'clock with the 6DE7. you must be a headbanger. I like both types with the HE-500 for different moods/music. The GE 6DE7/HE-500 pairing is fantastic on vocals.post #1001 of 189511/8/13 at 3:47ampost #1002 of 189511/8/13 at 7:36amQuote:
Oh it gets loud enough but i notice a lack of dynamics and it tends to reach the clip point much easier. Kinda like a he-6 lacking power but getting loud enough and calling it "ideal" when its really just barely enoughpost #1003 of 189511/8/13 at 7:36ampost #1004 of 189511/9/13 at 8:30amQuote:
Tube rolling is cheap on this amp. Check out Jim at vacuumtubes.com. If you don't see what you want on his website just email him. If you request matched pairs its 2$ per tube. There isn't much on ebay, but these tubes are readily available. I assume its because fleabayers would rather sell megabucks tubes.
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Cans for Ambient / Chillout ~$600 Upgrade from Q701 1 minute ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio's continued collaboration with A&K: Introducing Layla & Angie 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 4 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015:... 4 minutes ago
- › [QUESTION] Should I get an Amplifier? - Gaming Purposes, for... 5 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 5 minutes ago
- › DAP setup best matched with M50 5 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Nap-Chiang
- › Noble 4 by Airlight
- › ROCK JAW KOMMAND BA + Dynamic hybrid by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by Apex Eight
- › Westone UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit... by Sort
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by Mottom
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by Kenny Ingram
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)