I wouldn't expect different tubes to give the WA6 any significant power difference. It does drive my HE-4s well but I reckon that's not the same as an HE-500.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Sonett, WA6 SE or MAD Ear+HD for Grado? Last post on 4/21/11 at 5:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amp replacement? Last post on 12/7/10 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack Last post on 3/23/13 at 11:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I owned two PA2V2 and while it's good value amp, it had far too many flaws to my liking. Gary however provided excellent customer support throughout the whole time. Ended up with O2 and I'm...
I've done a lot of A-B comparing and the Schiit Wyrd absolutely improves my sound quality. Without it, the music sounds more distant, less expansive, less clear and also a bit softer volume. A...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of Australia/New Zealand tour arranged by @d marc0, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 67post #991 of 231710/26/13 at 1:48pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 231710/27/13 at 9:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by radiomir
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the HD 650 and LCD-2 as open-ear upgrades to my HD 595s. I wish the TH900 were more widely available for trial because I think you are right about specific frequency related brightness sensitivity. Some speakers and headphones that are "bright" don't bother me and some do.
Also, for those using equalizers, are using software equalizers in your media player or a physical unit?
It looks like earlier posts indicate that HE-500 doesn't play well (or as well compared to 600/650 and LCD-2) with WA6. I wonder if this is still the case with upgraded tubes?
You're welcome. :)
I use Equalizer APO which is open source and has an unlimited number of bands which gives extreme flexibility. You create each setting in a txt file. It can be a bit daunting, but it is pretty straight forward and very easy if you just use a template and adjust it to your liking.post #993 of 231711/7/13 at 6:36ampost #994 of 231711/7/13 at 6:50amQuote:
I find it an excellent comination IMHO, drives it with authority. With a Sofia Princess and a couple of fat bottle 6FD7's (with some burn in) you wont regret it!post #995 of 231711/7/13 at 9:58ampost #996 of 231711/7/13 at 11:16amQuote:
I felt like you got the most out of using the 6fd7 tubes, the others are not powerful enough. Anyways the wa6-se is good with he-500 and the right tubes.
Anyways, also consider the wa7, jack woo says it drives the he-500 better than wa6sepost #997 of 231711/7/13 at 6:28pmHry guys I recently got a WA6 and initially I am finding it a bit too aggressive in the upper mids. Snare drums and female vocals are sounding too bright with my RS1 and AD2KX. I swapped in a JJ GZ34 and it was a bit better than the stock tube (sovtek?). The driver tubes are RCA 6FD7s. I was wondering in your experience(s) what tube combo would warm up those mids?post #998 of 231711/7/13 at 6:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by bassboysam
Hry guys I recently got a WA6 and initially I am finding it a bit too aggressive in the upper mids. Snare drums and female vocals are sounding too bright with my RS1 and AD2KX. I swapped in a JJ GZ34 and it was a bit better than the stock tube (sovtek?). The driver tubes are RCA 6FD7s. I was wondering in your experience(s) what tube combo would warm up those mids?
all GZ34 tend to be forward and not very warm.
try 5U4G or 5R4GYpost #999 of 231711/7/13 at 7:02pmpost #1000 of 231711/7/13 at 8:39pmQuote:
I never have the volume above 10 o'clock with the 6DE7. you must be a headbanger. I like both types with the HE-500 for different moods/music. The GE 6DE7/HE-500 pairing is fantastic on vocals.post #1001 of 231711/8/13 at 3:47ampost #1002 of 231711/8/13 at 7:36amQuote:
Oh it gets loud enough but i notice a lack of dynamics and it tends to reach the clip point much easier. Kinda like a he-6 lacking power but getting loud enough and calling it "ideal" when its really just barely enoughpost #1003 of 231711/8/13 at 7:36ampost #1004 of 231711/9/13 at 8:30amQuote:
Tube rolling is cheap on this amp. Check out Jim at vacuumtubes.com. If you don't see what you want on his website just email him. If you request matched pairs its 2$ per tube. There isn't much on ebay, but these tubes are readily available. I assume its because fleabayers would rather sell megabucks tubes.
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 4 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 5 minutes ago
- › Review of the JVC HA-FXH30 by B9Scrambler 5 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 7 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality 8 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 8 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 9 minutes ago
- › USPS TRACKING HELP!! 10 minutes ago
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2