I wouldn't expect different tubes to give the WA6 any significant power difference. It does drive my HE-4s well but I reckon that's not the same as an HE-500.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Sonett, WA6 SE or MAD Ear+HD for Grado? Last post on 4/21/11 at 5:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amp replacement? Last post on 12/7/10 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack Last post on 3/23/13 at 11:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
https://store.thinksound.com/ I would like to give a hearty thanks to Thinksound's Aaron Fournier for reaching out to me for this review. I was provided with a review sample of the ON2...
This is a review of the Burson Audio Cable+ RCA to RCA active cable. The Burson Audio Cable+ was sent to me by Burson Audio for me as a loaner unit to test it out, thanks to Burson Audio for...
Most people balk at spending more than $20 on a pair of headphones, given the disposable history of a typical portable consumer headphones for the past 35 years. Music lovers who do invest in a...
It’s Black Friday, and what’s more black than to buy a good pair of headphones for your favorite rocker or metalhead. Today the headphone audiophile community is buzzing about what may become a...
The evolution of headphones has been fascinating to watch over the years. Pretty much everyone aged 50 and younger has grown up using headphones, and have owned many, many pairs. Some may remember...
Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 67post #991 of 269610/26/13 at 1:48pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 269610/27/13 at 9:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by radiomir
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the HD 650 and LCD-2 as open-ear upgrades to my HD 595s. I wish the TH900 were more widely available for trial because I think you are right about specific frequency related brightness sensitivity. Some speakers and headphones that are "bright" don't bother me and some do.
Also, for those using equalizers, are using software equalizers in your media player or a physical unit?
It looks like earlier posts indicate that HE-500 doesn't play well (or as well compared to 600/650 and LCD-2) with WA6. I wonder if this is still the case with upgraded tubes?
You're welcome. :)
I use Equalizer APO which is open source and has an unlimited number of bands which gives extreme flexibility. You create each setting in a txt file. It can be a bit daunting, but it is pretty straight forward and very easy if you just use a template and adjust it to your liking.post #993 of 269611/7/13 at 6:36ampost #994 of 269611/7/13 at 6:50amQuote:
I find it an excellent comination IMHO, drives it with authority. With a Sofia Princess and a couple of fat bottle 6FD7's (with some burn in) you wont regret it!post #995 of 269611/7/13 at 9:58ampost #996 of 269611/7/13 at 11:16amQuote:
I felt like you got the most out of using the 6fd7 tubes, the others are not powerful enough. Anyways the wa6-se is good with he-500 and the right tubes.
Anyways, also consider the wa7, jack woo says it drives the he-500 better than wa6sepost #997 of 269611/7/13 at 6:28pmHry guys I recently got a WA6 and initially I am finding it a bit too aggressive in the upper mids. Snare drums and female vocals are sounding too bright with my RS1 and AD2KX. I swapped in a JJ GZ34 and it was a bit better than the stock tube (sovtek?). The driver tubes are RCA 6FD7s. I was wondering in your experience(s) what tube combo would warm up those mids?post #998 of 269611/7/13 at 6:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by bassboysam
Hry guys I recently got a WA6 and initially I am finding it a bit too aggressive in the upper mids. Snare drums and female vocals are sounding too bright with my RS1 and AD2KX. I swapped in a JJ GZ34 and it was a bit better than the stock tube (sovtek?). The driver tubes are RCA 6FD7s. I was wondering in your experience(s) what tube combo would warm up those mids?
all GZ34 tend to be forward and not very warm.
try 5U4G or 5R4GYpost #999 of 269611/7/13 at 7:02pmpost #1000 of 269611/7/13 at 8:39pmQuote:
I never have the volume above 10 o'clock with the 6DE7. you must be a headbanger. I like both types with the HE-500 for different moods/music. The GE 6DE7/HE-500 pairing is fantastic on vocals.post #1001 of 269611/8/13 at 3:47ampost #1002 of 269611/8/13 at 7:36amQuote:
Oh it gets loud enough but i notice a lack of dynamics and it tends to reach the clip point much easier. Kinda like a he-6 lacking power but getting loud enough and calling it "ideal" when its really just barely enoughpost #1003 of 269611/8/13 at 7:36ampost #1004 of 269611/9/13 at 8:30amQuote:
Tube rolling is cheap on this amp. Check out Jim at vacuumtubes.com. If you don't see what you want on his website just email him. If you request matched pairs its 2$ per tube. There isn't much on ebay, but these tubes are readily available. I assume its because fleabayers would rather sell megabucks tubes.
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › pristine LCD2.2 pre fazor rosewood for trade HE6 TH900 8 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA-8 13 minutes ago
- › Fostex / Massdrop THC-X00 mahogany [AUS] 14 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV 21 minutes ago
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Dsnuts
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by peter123
- › BeyerDynamic DT 1990 PRO 250 Ohm Open Studio Headphones (710490) by Fastnbulbous
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by Fastnbulbous
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Fastnbulbous
- › 1MORE MK801 Over-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by zamroni
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...