I wouldn't expect different tubes to give the WA6 any significant power difference. It does drive my HE-4s well but I reckon that's not the same as an HE-500.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Sonett, WA6 SE or MAD Ear+HD for Grado? Last post on 4/21/11 at 5:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amp replacement? Last post on 12/7/10 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack Last post on 3/23/13 at 11:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
The new S5 from Brainwavz will certainly please most casual listeners. It's sleek design, tangle-proof flat capable, and pop-ready sound signature certainly justify it's price - not to mention...
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 67post #991 of 160010/26/13 at 1:48pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 160010/27/13 at 9:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by radiomir
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the HD 650 and LCD-2 as open-ear upgrades to my HD 595s. I wish the TH900 were more widely available for trial because I think you are right about specific frequency related brightness sensitivity. Some speakers and headphones that are "bright" don't bother me and some do.
Also, for those using equalizers, are using software equalizers in your media player or a physical unit?
It looks like earlier posts indicate that HE-500 doesn't play well (or as well compared to 600/650 and LCD-2) with WA6. I wonder if this is still the case with upgraded tubes?
You're welcome. :)
I use Equalizer APO which is open source and has an unlimited number of bands which gives extreme flexibility. You create each setting in a txt file. It can be a bit daunting, but it is pretty straight forward and very easy if you just use a template and adjust it to your liking.post #993 of 160011/7/13 at 6:36ampost #994 of 160011/7/13 at 6:50amQuote:
I find it an excellent comination IMHO, drives it with authority. With a Sofia Princess and a couple of fat bottle 6FD7's (with some burn in) you wont regret it!post #995 of 160011/7/13 at 9:58ampost #996 of 160011/7/13 at 11:16amQuote:
I felt like you got the most out of using the 6fd7 tubes, the others are not powerful enough. Anyways the wa6-se is good with he-500 and the right tubes.
Anyways, also consider the wa7, jack woo says it drives the he-500 better than wa6sepost #997 of 160011/7/13 at 6:28pmHry guys I recently got a WA6 and initially I am finding it a bit too aggressive in the upper mids. Snare drums and female vocals are sounding too bright with my RS1 and AD2KX. I swapped in a JJ GZ34 and it was a bit better than the stock tube (sovtek?). The driver tubes are RCA 6FD7s. I was wondering in your experience(s) what tube combo would warm up those mids?post #998 of 160011/7/13 at 6:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by bassboysam
Hry guys I recently got a WA6 and initially I am finding it a bit too aggressive in the upper mids. Snare drums and female vocals are sounding too bright with my RS1 and AD2KX. I swapped in a JJ GZ34 and it was a bit better than the stock tube (sovtek?). The driver tubes are RCA 6FD7s. I was wondering in your experience(s) what tube combo would warm up those mids?
all GZ34 tend to be forward and not very warm.
try 5U4G or 5R4GYpost #999 of 160011/7/13 at 7:02pmpost #1000 of 160011/7/13 at 8:39pmQuote:
I never have the volume above 10 o'clock with the 6DE7. you must be a headbanger. I like both types with the HE-500 for different moods/music. The GE 6DE7/HE-500 pairing is fantastic on vocals.post #1001 of 160011/8/13 at 3:47ampost #1002 of 160011/8/13 at 7:36amQuote:
Oh it gets loud enough but i notice a lack of dynamics and it tends to reach the clip point much easier. Kinda like a he-6 lacking power but getting loud enough and calling it "ideal" when its really just barely enoughpost #1003 of 160011/8/13 at 7:36ampost #1004 of 160011/9/13 at 8:30amQuote:
Tube rolling is cheap on this amp. Check out Jim at vacuumtubes.com. If you don't see what you want on his website just email him. If you request matched pairs its 2$ per tube. There isn't much on ebay, but these tubes are readily available. I assume its because fleabayers would rather sell megabucks tubes.
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here! 1 minute ago
- › I would like to know how many lossless songs i can fit onto a x3 w/... 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3-E12-K550 vs X5-E12-DT990pro 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 6 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)