I liked the Philips 5R4GYS more than the RCA 5R4GY(which weren't bad). I wouldn't pay more than $25 for the RCA even if they are JAN.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Sonett, WA6 SE or MAD Ear+HD for Grado? Last post on 4/21/11 at 5:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amp replacement? Last post on 12/7/10 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack Last post on 3/23/13 at 11:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
Preamble: Superlux – the Chinese/Taiwanese company really doesn’t need any further instruction for anyone who is at least just a little into audio and headphones. Being in the...
Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 65post #961 of 267310/16/13 at 8:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #962 of 267310/16/13 at 10:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by radiomir
Thinking of trying a 5r4gy from Jim at vacuumtubesinc.com. He has RCA branded coke bottle and a phillips 5r4gyB (straight sided) that's probably american made. There is also a philips 5r4gys dutch army nos on ebay delivered from the Netherlands.
I've seen at least one comment that the RCA version was disappointing compared to only positive comments about the phillips. Does it need to be phillips? I could try both the RCA and straight sided phillips from Jim for the same cost as the Dutch phillips model . . .
How much is the rca version , been looking to try one outpost #963 of 267310/17/13 at 6:53am
It's $30 from Jim, but can be found on ebay for $15 - 20 I think . . .
Jim thinks that the phillips would most likely have been made by RCA in the US anyway, but one of the Philiips ebay listings states production in Suresnes, France.post #964 of 267310/17/13 at 7:02amQuote:
What did you like more about the Philips?post #965 of 267310/17/13 at 7:15amQuote:
oh i see ebay.
o ok its readily available, i'll have to try it out when i get a new 5U4G/Gz34 amp. im thinking of stratus, but i know alot of the tubes aren't compatible, i'll have to ask.post #966 of 267310/17/13 at 9:44ampost #967 of 267310/17/13 at 6:17pmQuote:
does he still have them, how much?
i bought my tung sol 5998 pairs from them. been thinking of picking up a WE 422A toopost #968 of 267310/17/13 at 7:14pmQuote:
He gets them in from time to time. Nothing last I asked.post #969 of 267310/17/13 at 7:35pmpost #970 of 267310/17/13 at 7:46pm
Bigger soundstage(which the HE-500 needed), more/deeper bass, and I think the images were more solid too. Jim at Vacuumtubesinc is good to deal with. I got my RCA 6DR7 in matched pairs from him. $30 is reasonable from a good source, but I see JAN tubes marked up on flea bay and unless its a WWII JAN CRC with double D getters there is no sonic difference I could detect.post #971 of 267310/19/13 at 10:52am
This is my first post on this old thread as I just purchased a used WA6 from another Head-Fier here a few months ago. It's a older WA6 from 2007 and has the smaller driver tube holes, so I am using a pair of Tubemongers socket savers to allow me the use of a pair of RCA fat bottle top getter 6FD7's. The WA6 has the Pseudo-dual power supply up-grade. My rectifiers used are a 1957 Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 and a Tung-Sol 5U4G, 1952 vintage. I also have RCA 6DE7 and Sylvania 6CY7 signal tubes. My phones are Sennheiser HD600 and Denon AH-D7000. Sources are CD and vinyl.
For my tastes, I like the RCS 6FD7 and Tung-Sol 5U4G combo the best. Solid punch bass, ( although deep bass drops off a bit ), just a tad warm mid-range with great clarity, and pretty neutral highs with a slight roll off at the very top.
Dynamics are decent, but not of the range of the Amperex GZ34. Soundstage with the old Tung-Sol is pretty good, side to side, and depth. Overall, I use the HD600 with classical and Jazz - the D7000 with rock and acoustic stuff. The WA6 came with a few other rectifiers, including the Sophia 274b. Although a wonderful tube, I found it not that much to my liking. I purchased the Tung-Sol after reading a few comments about it's neutrality, accuracy, and my prior experience with Tung-Sol tubes.
Based on readings here and a few other sites, I am looking to add a Brimar 5R4GY/CV717 and a Mullard GZ32 to the mix for a bit more warmth on many older symphonic classical recordings I have on vinyl, and some bright CD's. So I'm looking to add some more warmth to the system for those recordings.
I wanted to add this to keep this wonder and informative thread alive. Anyone here using the Brimar 5R4GY with the 6FD7 fat bottle top getters, and your take on the combo?
Edited by TUBEBO - 10/19/13 at 11:19ampost #972 of 267310/19/13 at 10:57am
what does an amperex gz 32 look like?
i tried brimar 5r4gy and 6fd7 fat bottle sylvania on my WA6-SE, the brimar is a very laid back tube, was too slow for me. but its a very nice tube.post #973 of 267310/19/13 at 11:11amQuote:
I will take a photo and post, but it has a black plastic base and the smooth plate structure of the Mullard and Amperex of the late fifties. My research shows it to be a fairly rare tube - the date code is F30 X7H, so it's a Philips Sittard Holland plant, 1957 ( August ) made rectifier. It would seem to be the first of the Philips GZ34's made after or during the metal base units. Tubes starting with F30 instead of F31 are quite rare.
On the Brimar, the laid back quality is what I am seeking to help smooth out a somewhat bright and and mid-range forward presentation from a older Signet moving-coil phono cartridge I am using on my turntable. Some older thin sounding and a little ragged on the top vinyl recordings I have could use the added warmth, at the cost of some dynamics and speed.
Edited by TUBEBO - 10/19/13 at 11:20ampost #974 of 267310/19/13 at 11:16ampost #975 of 267310/19/13 at 11:27am
My apologies! I mistakenly entered GZ32 for the Amperex Bugle Boy instead of the correct GZ34. Sorry about that. This comes from being an older timer in my sixties I guess. None the less, the F30 part is the clincher here as most start with F31. The date code is located at the bottom of the tube and is etched in. I have only found it listed one other time for sale on a tube collector site. Again, sorry for the confusion. ( I corrected my posts so as not to create more questions )
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › How to Equalize Your Headphones: 2016 update 16 seconds ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 43 seconds ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 52 seconds ago
- › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13,... 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › Portable DAP for Tidal 4 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...