I liked the Philips 5R4GYS more than the RCA 5R4GY(which weren't bad). I wouldn't pay more than $25 for the RCA even if they are JAN.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Sonett, WA6 SE or MAD Ear+HD for Grado? Last post on 4/21/11 at 5:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amp replacement? Last post on 12/7/10 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack Last post on 3/23/13 at 11:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These are everything you'd expect from a flagship headphone, only MORE, because some flagships have come to disappoint me, even from the more expensive brands. In a lot of markets, I find there is...
I am a Grado fan. More precisely, I am a Grado modder. Everything I listen to is tinkered with, and woodied….Needless to say, I favor a bright sound signature, open-backs and am not very into IEMs....
www.krish-tech.com INTRODUCTION M AUDIO BX5 D2 is a studio monitor,which means that it is mostly used for mixing in studios but that doesn't mean it's not a good desktop speakers in...
[Impression] iFi nano iDSD and iCAN with a splash of iPurifer iFi Audio has gained a great success over its Micro line of small sized desktop gears, and now it is pushing into the portable world...
Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 65post #961 of 159910/16/13 at 8:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #962 of 159910/16/13 at 10:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by radiomir
Thinking of trying a 5r4gy from Jim at vacuumtubesinc.com. He has RCA branded coke bottle and a phillips 5r4gyB (straight sided) that's probably american made. There is also a philips 5r4gys dutch army nos on ebay delivered from the Netherlands.
I've seen at least one comment that the RCA version was disappointing compared to only positive comments about the phillips. Does it need to be phillips? I could try both the RCA and straight sided phillips from Jim for the same cost as the Dutch phillips model . . .
How much is the rca version , been looking to try one outpost #963 of 159910/17/13 at 6:53am
It's $30 from Jim, but can be found on ebay for $15 - 20 I think . . .
Jim thinks that the phillips would most likely have been made by RCA in the US anyway, but one of the Philiips ebay listings states production in Suresnes, France.post #964 of 159910/17/13 at 7:02amQuote:
What did you like more about the Philips?post #965 of 159910/17/13 at 7:15amQuote:
oh i see ebay.
o ok its readily available, i'll have to try it out when i get a new 5U4G/Gz34 amp. im thinking of stratus, but i know alot of the tubes aren't compatible, i'll have to ask.post #966 of 159910/17/13 at 9:44ampost #967 of 159910/17/13 at 6:17pmQuote:
does he still have them, how much?
i bought my tung sol 5998 pairs from them. been thinking of picking up a WE 422A toopost #968 of 159910/17/13 at 7:14pmQuote:
He gets them in from time to time. Nothing last I asked.post #969 of 159910/17/13 at 7:35pmpost #970 of 159910/17/13 at 7:46pm
Bigger soundstage(which the HE-500 needed), more/deeper bass, and I think the images were more solid too. Jim at Vacuumtubesinc is good to deal with. I got my RCA 6DR7 in matched pairs from him. $30 is reasonable from a good source, but I see JAN tubes marked up on flea bay and unless its a WWII JAN CRC with double D getters there is no sonic difference I could detect.post #971 of 159910/19/13 at 10:52am
This is my first post on this old thread as I just purchased a used WA6 from another Head-Fier here a few months ago. It's a older WA6 from 2007 and has the smaller driver tube holes, so I am using a pair of Tubemongers socket savers to allow me the use of a pair of RCA fat bottle top getter 6FD7's. The WA6 has the Pseudo-dual power supply up-grade. My rectifiers used are a 1957 Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 and a Tung-Sol 5U4G, 1952 vintage. I also have RCA 6DE7 and Sylvania 6CY7 signal tubes. My phones are Sennheiser HD600 and Denon AH-D7000. Sources are CD and vinyl.
For my tastes, I like the RCS 6FD7 and Tung-Sol 5U4G combo the best. Solid punch bass, ( although deep bass drops off a bit ), just a tad warm mid-range with great clarity, and pretty neutral highs with a slight roll off at the very top.
Dynamics are decent, but not of the range of the Amperex GZ34. Soundstage with the old Tung-Sol is pretty good, side to side, and depth. Overall, I use the HD600 with classical and Jazz - the D7000 with rock and acoustic stuff. The WA6 came with a few other rectifiers, including the Sophia 274b. Although a wonderful tube, I found it not that much to my liking. I purchased the Tung-Sol after reading a few comments about it's neutrality, accuracy, and my prior experience with Tung-Sol tubes.
Based on readings here and a few other sites, I am looking to add a Brimar 5R4GY/CV717 and a Mullard GZ32 to the mix for a bit more warmth on many older symphonic classical recordings I have on vinyl, and some bright CD's. So I'm looking to add some more warmth to the system for those recordings.
I wanted to add this to keep this wonder and informative thread alive. Anyone here using the Brimar 5R4GY with the 6FD7 fat bottle top getters, and your take on the combo?
Edited by TUBEBO - 10/19/13 at 11:19ampost #972 of 159910/19/13 at 10:57am
what does an amperex gz 32 look like?
i tried brimar 5r4gy and 6fd7 fat bottle sylvania on my WA6-SE, the brimar is a very laid back tube, was too slow for me. but its a very nice tube.post #973 of 159910/19/13 at 11:11amQuote:
I will take a photo and post, but it has a black plastic base and the smooth plate structure of the Mullard and Amperex of the late fifties. My research shows it to be a fairly rare tube - the date code is F30 X7H, so it's a Philips Sittard Holland plant, 1957 ( August ) made rectifier. It would seem to be the first of the Philips GZ34's made after or during the metal base units. Tubes starting with F30 instead of F31 are quite rare.
On the Brimar, the laid back quality is what I am seeking to help smooth out a somewhat bright and and mid-range forward presentation from a older Signet moving-coil phono cartridge I am using on my turntable. Some older thin sounding and a little ragged on the top vinyl recordings I have could use the added warmth, at the cost of some dynamics and speed.
Edited by TUBEBO - 10/19/13 at 11:20ampost #974 of 159910/19/13 at 11:16ampost #975 of 159910/19/13 at 11:27am
My apologies! I mistakenly entered GZ32 for the Amperex Bugle Boy instead of the correct GZ34. Sorry about that. This comes from being an older timer in my sixties I guess. None the less, the F30 part is the clincher here as most start with F31. The date code is located at the bottom of the tube and is etched in. I have only found it listed one other time for sale on a tube collector site. Again, sorry for the confusion. ( I corrected my posts so as not to create more questions )
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 6 seconds ago
- › Looking for a repair on a set of Sony MDR AS20J earbuds... 33 seconds ago
- › REVIEW : DUNU DN1000 - Immensely Capable Hybrid IEM 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Positional audio for new guys. 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Yamamoto YDA-02 DA Converter (WTT for JDS ODAC /w RCA) 2 minutes ago
- › best headphone in the world? 2 minutes ago
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › M-Audio BX5 D2 by krishtrinity1
- › iFi iCan Nano Portable Headphone Amp by ClieOS
- › iFi Nano iDSD by ClieOS
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by wigglepuff
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by cleg
- › Grado Labs PS500e by xylin6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Typhoon859
- › Future Sonics mg6pro by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)