Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 86

post #1276 of 1508
Less bass gz32/cv593 with 6ew7 or 6sn7s depending on tube type.

Sophia is pretty bass and 6gl7 is overly bassy and bloaty with pretty much every tube except the 596
post #1277 of 1508

I was using the GZ32/6EW7 for about a week up until last night, and rely enjoyed the percussion instruments and the highs/separation due too the less bass, this is one combo I like. Another combo I really like is the Sophia Princess/6SN7-6FD7 ( the 6FD7 big botle was what I read about in which you commented on sounding good with the RS1's, thanks DG). I also enjoy the the GZ34 with the 6SN7's, but have yet to try it with the 6FD7.

Any other driver tubes to recommend? Thanks.

post #1278 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

Less bass gz32/cv593 with 6ew7 or 6sn7s depending on tube type.

Sophia is pretty bass and 6gl7 is overly bassy and bloaty with pretty much every tube except the 596

 

Hm....have you tried the RCA 5U4G with the 6SN7? I'm still waiting for my own pair of 6SN7s to arrive.

post #1279 of 1508

no

post #1280 of 1508

Less than a week old, I have the Sophia Princess and a matched set of RCA 6DE7 coming in.  At worst, I have a backup set of tubes and at best, an improvement in SQ.  I'm already at the point where I plug my HD800 back into the Naim and go, nah, back to the WA6.  Not quite as detailed, airy and super clean, but close.. seems richer with overall greater body and that's what I'm liking.  Still breaking in and I'm noticing that the treble is getting more extended and bass is getting a little tighter.

If this is a taste of classic Woo, I'm really wondering what the WA22 is like. Someday, maybe.

post #1281 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

If this is a taste of classic Woo, I'm really wondering what the WA22 is like. Someday, maybe.

Last month I was where you are now :rolleyes: & submitted to temptation.


Edited by punit - 3/22/14 at 1:30am
post #1282 of 1508

i really have to stop reading this thread, i have pairs of 6ew7, 6fd7, 6sn7, 6dr7 coming and a 5u4g philco as well as a gz32. 

Building up a bit of a collection.

post #1283 of 1508

Cr@p.  I got the WA6 with my tax return so the WA22 is out of the question for a while.  So, was it worth the upgrade??

Quote:

Originally Posted by punit View Post

Last month I was where you are now :rolleyes: & submitted to temptation.

 

One of the reasons I sold my Lyr beside going the upgrade path was that I was going tube nuts.  Never satisfied.  Hoping that I can be happy for a while with there SP and RCAs. We'll se how that goes. :blink:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzee View Post

i really have to stop reading this thread, i have pairs of 6ew7, 6fd7, 6sn7, 6dr7 coming and a 5u4g philco as well as a gz32. 

Building up a bit of a collection.


Edited by MickeyVee - 3/22/14 at 12:00pm
post #1284 of 1508

I was wondering if most people insert their tubes all the way down into the sockets?

This image from Woo's site show a large amount of the driver/power tube pins exposed! 

What are your thoughts about this? Thanks.

 

 


Edited by joseph69 - 3/24/14 at 7:31pm
post #1285 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I was wondering if most people insert their tubes all the way down into the sockets?

This image from Woo's site show a large amount of the driver/power tube pins exposed! 

What are your thoughts about this? Thanks.

 

 

 

Maybe that picture is only for illustration purposes. The owner's manual states that we should insert the tubes all the way in. 

post #1286 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

 

Maybe that picture is only for illustration purposes. The owner's manual states that we should insert the tubes all the way in. 

Thought so. It must be like you said for illustration purposes.

Do you think there would be any harm with not inserting them all of the way into the socket, beside less contact?

post #1287 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Thought so. It must be like you said for illustration purposes.

Do you think there would be any harm with not inserting them all of the way into the socket, beside less contact?

 

I honestly have no idea. Why would you not want to fully insert the tubes? 

post #1288 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

 

I honestly have no idea. Why would you not want to fully insert the tubes? 

No its not that I don't fully insert my tubes, I was just curious as if there would be any harm too the amp/tubes/ or performance/life span of the tubes.

post #1289 of 1508

Well I don't really want to risk it. Maybe someone else here has experimented with it. 

post #1290 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

Well I don't really want to risk it. Maybe someone else here has experimented with it. 

Thank you for your thoughts/reply.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice