Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 78

post #1156 of 1805

If I am not totally wrong here, but it seems like I am one of the few people to use the LCD-2 with the WA6-SE?

 

I bought EML 274B and EML 5U4G with DB girl, and got to say after getting those it made a huge difference, I hardly use the 5U4G, mostly 274B with 6FD7 fat bottle and it sounds pretty great, I have both the LCD-2 and HE-500, gotta say though, the HE-500 might be a better match with the WA6-SE than the LCD-2s, but still... The LCD-2s sounds pretty damn good with this amp.

 

Again though, the HE-500 got a new spark with the new rectifiers.. I can definetly say that the HE-500 does fit better with the WA6-SE than the LCD-2.. There is just something about the HE-500 I just can't let go off.

They are brighter than the LCD-2, the "sub bass" is a bit weaker, the comfort is not as good, but there is something I just love about the HE-500 with this amp..

 

So yeah, probably holding on to the WA6-SE for the HE-500 and getting a Violectric V200 or Auralic Taurus MKII for the LCD-2, we'll have to see, I want to try them both before I decide :D


Edited by Xtri - 2/7/14 at 7:31pm
post #1157 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtri View Post

If I am not totally wrong here, but it seems like I am one of the few people to use the LCD-2 with the WA6-SE?

You're not alone on the WA6-SE + LCD-2 combo my friend! smily_headphones1.gif

One question guys, does your amp gets hot when you use 6FD7? I noticed mine gets hot even the volume knob when i tried the GZ34+6FD7 combo. Is it normal?
post #1158 of 1805

I have the WA6 and never have a problem with heat when I use the 6FD7's, no matter what rectifier I use.

post #1159 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiemm View Post


You're not alone on the WA6-SE + LCD-2 combo my friend! smily_headphones1.gif

One question guys, does your amp gets hot when you use 6FD7? I noticed mine gets hot even the volume knob when i tried the GZ34+6FD7 combo. Is it normal?

Does it happen if you use a different rectifier?

post #1160 of 1805

I have just put the Shuguang back in to see if it gets hot. 

post #1161 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtri View Post
 

Does it happen if you use a different rectifier?

My WA6-SE is getting warm no matter what tube/headphone combo (T1/LCD-2.2) after about 1-2 hours of listening the volume knob is a bit warm. With the LCD-2 it might get warm a bit faster, last tube combo i used was GZ34+6DR7 and i think i have to get a pair of 6FD7:smile_phones: 

Aluminium is one of the best heat conducting metals.


Edited by sprite40 - 2/9/14 at 8:04am
post #1162 of 1805
Well thanks for the recommendations on rectifier tubes. I found a Rogers Canada branded 5U4 on ebay for $20. NOS that the seller says is either a GE or Phillips Canada tube. swapped it in for the SED Winged C tube that was in my WA6 and it made quite a difference. the highs are a lot more natural, way smoother with no harshness. There is significantly more bass as well, maybe a tad on the boomy side, which I like. There seems to be a more slow bloom to notes, the amp has a much more tubey sound now than before. I'll keep an eye out for an RCA 5U4 as well to try in the future. Does anyone know how the RCA would compare to this GE/Phillips tube I have?

Here is a pic if anyone is interested. Much bigger plates than the SED.
20140210_143451_zpsjneypwjc.jpg
Edited by bassboysam - 2/10/14 at 11:39am
post #1163 of 1805
Hahaha. I'm an idiot. Most of the differences I heard were because I'd never used my X1s with the wa6. When I compared the tubes with a more familiar pair of headphones (AD2000X) the differences were not as huge. Still a bit warmer and more bloomy but not as much as before.
post #1164 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

This was recommended to me earlier http://vacuumtubes.net/index.html.

They are the only ones I got a response from. They have fat bottle Sylvanias in stock and they will match tubes for you.


They are out of stock.. look like I got to get these 6FD7s from Woo.  Anyone know if woo is selling the kind of 6FD7 we're talking about here? Sorry I'm new at this, I'm guessing we're talking about Sylvanias fat bottles.  Also how much extra did Woo charge compare to vacuumtubes.net?

 

Thanks.

post #1165 of 1805

For what it's worth, I made an order with vacuumtubes.net just last week for a matched pair of 6FD7s and it came out to $19 total. $4 for each tube, $4 for matching the two tubes, and then $7 shipping. The ones I received are Westinghouse, which to my understanding are relabeled Sylvania. 

 

Maybe I got the last ones... sorry!

post #1166 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMSV View Post


They are out of stock.. look like I got to get these 6FD7s from Woo.  Anyone know if woo is selling the kind of 6FD7 we're talking about here? Sorry I'm new at this, I'm guessing we're talking about Sylvanias fat bottles.  Also how much extra did Woo charge compare to vacuumtubes.net?

Thanks.

Woo charges around $50 for 6FD7s. Not worth it in my opinion.
post #1167 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post


Woo charges around $50 for 6FD7s. Not worth it in my opinion.

I think they go through tons of tubes to find "perfect condition" ones. One of the reasons why it costs so much, not sure if it's worth it or not but I've ordered a few 6FD7s from those popular tube stores (2 pairs) one of those pairs had one faulty tube. But just buy like 3 - 4 pairs and it still costs as much as getting one pair from Woo Audio, so they are indeed a bit expensive.. 


Edited by Xtri - 2/11/14 at 9:23am
post #1168 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtri View Post
 

I think they go through tons of tubes to find "perfect condition" ones. One of the reasons why it costs so much, not sure if it's worth it or not but I've ordered a few 6FD7s from those popular tube stores (2 pairs) one of those pairs had one faulty tube. But just buy like 3 - 4 pairs and it still costs as much as getting one pair from Woo Audio, so they are indeed a bit expensive.. 


I don't mind paying for the work if it's indeed do add assurance that the tube we're buying are "perfect condition".  Just not getting that assurance yet, got to email Jack.

 

On another note, the WA6SE is here!! burning in now:

 

post #1169 of 1805

Sweet!  Looking forward to your impressions.

post #1170 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMSV View Post
 


I don't mind paying for the work if it's indeed do add assurance that the tube we're buying are "perfect condition".  Just not getting that assurance yet, got to email Jack.

 

On another note, the WA6SE is here!! burning in now:

 

 

Yeah ask them for us, nice picture by the way :) 

When I talked to them they said that they go through many tubes to find the right ones before sending, they didn't specifically say "perfect condition". Let's see, I'll find the email:

 

Quote from Frank at Woo Audio:

 

"We purchase our tubes form a tube distributor then carefully select the highest quality of tubes and properly match them for the best sound.  
 
We may have to go through a large number of poor tubes to arrive with the matched pair, so with the time and labor and number of tubes we reject we need to charge more to make a profit. 
 
That is the reason our prices need to be higher. Thanks for the email and we fully understand if you choose to buy the tubes from another vendor. 
 
We do appreciate your business and hope my explanation was acceptable.
 
Best regards,
 
Frank"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice