Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 73

post #1081 of 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyolifer View Post

Hello,

Trying to get a metal base GZ34 from eBay and I came across a Valvo brand NOS GZ34 tube that was manufactured in Holland with a date code of rS1 55D.  Isn't this basically the same tube as the Mullard?  There seems to be a substantial difference in price between the Valvo and the Mullard/Philips NOS tubes, and would like to understand why that would be the case...

Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

Pretty much same tube. I think i see the one your looking at. Theyre all overpriced i think and should cost around the same
post #1082 of 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post


Pretty much same tube. I think i see the one your looking at. Theyre all overpriced i think and should cost around the same

Thank you for the heads-up.  Still looking for a 596... I just have an WA6-SE driving my LCD cans, and picking up one of the top three tubes on your recent review would basically mean that my tubes would cost me more than the amp itself.  Already picked up the EMLs and Mullard CV593, as well as some driver tubes from Woo Audio.  

 

DG, I am actually amazed how right-on your impressions are in general... When I first listened to 6SE with the stock Shuguang rectifier, I was regretting my purchase.  I was happier with the Sophia from Woo Audio, but I am so glad to have found your review.  The new tubes really changed my perspective on the amp, and would be good to finally pick up GZ34MB and 596 to complete my journey.  Sadly, it actually won't be the end of my journey, since in all likelihood, I will eventually move on to a different amp and start the process all over again...

post #1083 of 1486

in my case woo6SE was the greatest mistake I have made - comparing to wa6 almost no bass, lost all euphonic, saturation and ultra smooth, warm sound, bigger width but crappy depth, not engaging emotionally at all - sold it and never regret it

 

I had maxxxed version of both 6se and 6, was using them with hd600/650 when searching for ultimate solution for hd600 some time ago ...

 

I think I could go back to hd600+wa6 (even stock) combo and be really happy no matter the price, killer synergy though always a bit of humm/buzz which has to be sloppy design (wires leading, ground etc I guess), EVEN WA6SE got small amount of it (although I asked manufacturer to check this twice precisely), no matter the tubes I tried, in this price range this is just crazy especially when buying from abroad and paying hardcore extra money (shipping, VAT, customs etc)

 

from many years of my experience when you don't like something from the beginning you will spend some time convincing and fooling yourself it sounds good but inside you will be very unhappy and in the end you will sell it losing nice amount of your money for tube rolling etc

 

things that you liked from the beginning are most missed after selling (usually only because of searching something different)


Edited by magicman - 1/16/14 at 2:19am
post #1084 of 1486
Just checking in after getting my new WA6 up and running, have put 100+ hours on it....just installed a wartime NOS Tung Sol 5u4g last week. I hope I made the right decision on the Tung Sol as I was forced to buy a matched pair just to get one. LOL I suppose now I've got to break that in, too. LOL. I also just installed the new liquid Super Fuse from Audio Magic. Drivers are '52 Sylvania 6SN7GT with bottom getters, already broken in, whew! Front end: modded Oppo 103 including the Linear Power Supply and Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX. headphones: nude Sennheiser 600's with Equinox cable, cryo'd.

Cheers
Edited by geoffkait - 1/16/14 at 6:34am
post #1085 of 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post
 

in my case woo6SE was the greatest mistake I have made - comparing to wa6 almost no bass, lost all euphonic, saturation and ultra smooth, warm sound, bigger width but crappy depth, not engaging emotionally at all - sold it and never regret it

 

I had maxxxed version of both 6se and 6, was using them with hd600/650 when searching for ultimate solution for hd600 some time ago ...

 

I think I could go back to hd600+wa6 (even stock) combo and be really happy no matter the price, killer synergy though always a bit of humm/buzz which has to be sloppy design (wires leading, ground etc I guess), EVEN WA6SE got small amount of it (although I asked manufacturer to check this twice precisely), no matter the tubes I tried, in this price range this is just crazy especially when buying from abroad and paying hardcore extra money (shipping, VAT, customs etc)

 

from many years of my experience when you don't like something from the beginning you will spend some time convincing and fooling yourself it sounds good but inside you will be very unhappy and in the end you will sell it losing nice amount of your money for tube rolling etc

 

things that you liked from the beginning are most missed after selling (usually only because of searching something different)

Sorry that you had so many problems with the Woos.  I have had none, as in, zero.  Dead quiet and beautiful sound and build.

post #1086 of 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post

in my case woo6SE was the greatest mistake I have made - comparing to wa6 almost no bass, lost all euphonic, saturation and ultra smooth, warm sound, bigger width but crappy depth, not engaging emotionally at all - sold it and never regret it

I had maxxxed version of both 6se and 6, was using them with hd600/650 when searching for ultimate solution for hd600 some time ago ...

I think I could go back to hd600+wa6 (even stock) combo and be really happy no matter the price, killer synergy though always a bit of humm/buzz which has to be sloppy design (wires leading, ground etc I guess), EVEN WA6SE got small amount of it (although I asked manufacturer to check this twice precisely), no matter the tubes I tried, in this price range this is just crazy especially when buying from abroad and paying hardcore extra money (shipping, VAT, customs etc)

from many years of my experience when you don't like something from the beginning you will spend some time convincing and fooling yourself it sounds good but inside you will be very unhappy and in the end you will sell it losing nice amount of your money for tube rolling etc

things that you liked from the beginning are most missed after selling (usually only because of searching something different)



Sounds like you did everything you could on your end. Tracking down noise from my cable provider had me ready to drive a copper grounding rod into the earth outside my house. My experience has been the complete opposite with my WA6SE. I've owned it since Nov of 2012 and never had tube rush or hum issues.I just upgraded my source (EVS modded oppo 105) and some characteristics I attributed to the amp just disappeared. Last night while listening I was marveling at how much "blacker" the background was. It was hard to believe I was listening through a tube amp.
post #1087 of 1486

the WA6-SE with HD 650 was my first serious setup, and it was everything you said the WA6 was that the WA6-SE doesn't have.

 

the WA6-SE/HD650 is as good as WA6-SE/LCD-2, one of the best hd 650 setups you can get for that price. 

post #1088 of 1486
Hi, what are your impressions with GE 6FD7 fat bottle? Is it comparable to Sylvania or RCA? Thanks!
post #1089 of 1486

Well finally got a chance to listen to the WA6 with the Mullard GZ32/CV593 and RCA 6GL7's. Ironically had a hum in the right channel that i traced back to my cordless phone! Removed that from the desk and now it's dead silent.

 

The new tubes have made a massive difference, bass now has some heft and much more slam, sound stage is much wider, vocals are more forward and natural. Treble has a little less sparkle but that actually works incredibly well with my naturally bright T90's.

Very happy.:L3000:

post #1090 of 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post
 

Well finally got a chance to listen to the WA6 with the Mullard GZ32/CV593 and RCA 6GL7's. Ironically had a hum in the right channel that i traced back to my cordless phone! Removed that from the desk and now it's dead silent.

 

The new tubes have made a massive difference, bass now has some heft and much more slam, sound stage is much wider, vocals are more forward and natural. Treble has a little less sparkle but that actually works incredibly well with my naturally bright T90's.

Very happy.:L3000:

Good to hear.  I'm a 596/6FD7 guy but never tried your combo.  Intriguing.

post #1091 of 1486

I have some 6FD7's on the way just for comparison - will let everyone know.

post #1092 of 1486
I can see the 6gl7 working well with the cv593, the cv593 is a very nice tube, i would call it a baby U52 biggrin.gif
post #1093 of 1486

Your thread was the reason I chose it - can't thank you enough for that. It's a tremendous improvement.

post #1094 of 1486

Here's the back side of my amp...

 

 

 

post #1095 of 1486

wow i like the new power cord jack uses, much nicer than the old ones. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice