Well - my first replacement of tubes will be a pair of NOS RCA 6GL7's and a NOS Mullard GZ32. Here's hoping it sounds good with my T90.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Sonett, WA6 SE or MAD Ear+HD for Grado? Last post on 4/21/11 at 5:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amp replacement? Last post on 12/7/10 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack Last post on 3/23/13 at 11:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
About Me I am in my fifties and have loved music and music equipment all my life. From about 8 years old, I had my first exposure to my mother’s reel to reel tape recorder. A few years later, I...
Introduction: I was asked by Brainwavz’/GPGSHK’s Pandora whether I was interested in reviewing their latest Brainwavz product, the Kidwavz KV100 that was especially designed for kids, so I...
At the time of the review, the Brainwavz Jive earphone was was on sale at Amazon’s website for $25.00 USD. Here is a link to Their listing of the...
You got a budget? You want Bluetooth Earphones? Buy the Qy7. Simple. Done. Easy. There is a little more to it though. Important features is the V4.1 Bluetooth connection, this...
What is Cozoy Aegis?: Did you remember Cozoy Astrapi DAC/AMP? Well this is the brother of it Aegis (right) Aegis (left) and Astrapi (right) Cozoy Aegis is a...
Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 72post #1066 of 23301/11/14 at 11:32am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1067 of 23301/11/14 at 4:36pmpost #1068 of 23301/11/14 at 4:43pmQuote:
the GZ32 is a very nice tube. don't know how they will pair with the 6GL7 though. i'm actually surprised the gz32 is still so readily available and cheap, it sounds almost as good as the U52, maybe a little less airy, but the tonality and transparency is really good.post #1069 of 23301/11/14 at 4:47pmpost #1070 of 23301/11/14 at 4:51pm
I would choose 6FD7 or 6GL7, i did not try the GZ32 with WA6-SE unfortunately.
I would still overall choose the 6FD7 though. the 6GL7 is a unique tube that is one of the better sounding for the WA6-SE, but its best paired with the 596 since it adds bass and smoothens the sound a bit. it can be a little muddy and dark at times though cause its a colored sounding tube, i do not know how it will pair with GZ32.
the 6FD7 is the most neutral and has the most balance out of all the WA6-SE tubes, I would consider that one the best. with the 6GL7 being possibly better depending on the setup.
other than that, the only other tube i would consider is the 6EW7, smooth huge soundstage and good clarity, warm forgiving tube, but does have rather light bass at times. this one is my next favorite.
i do not care much for 6DE7 (warm but lacking control and depth) or 6DR7 (shouty and too warm with weak bass)post #1071 of 23301/11/14 at 5:55pmpost #1072 of 23301/11/14 at 7:28pm
nop just sylvania fat bottle my experience with the wa6-se drivers shows that RCA tubes sound a little different but the rest seem to all sound the same.post #1073 of 23301/11/14 at 8:30pm
Just got these from my friend who, a long time ago, moved to something much-much-much better (a better amp).
Now I'm using the Princess with RCA 6EW7. My friend said these Raytheon sound a lot better. Will swap them in to see if I like them better than my current setup. BTW, the phones is LCD-X with Silver Dragon cable.post #1074 of 23301/11/14 at 9:12pm
he gave u a free metal gz34?
btw the raytheon 6ew7 sounded similar to sylvania but i think the raytheon was slightly better. i used them alot when i had sophia for rectifier and it worked very well for pretty much every headphone except audeze (6FD7 for these!)post #1075 of 23301/11/14 at 9:44pmQuote:
LOL it's not for free, but he gave it to me so I can try first. If I happen to like it, he would then sell it to me for about 200$.
Edited by PrTv - 1/11/14 at 9:50pmpost #1076 of 23301/12/14 at 4:45am
I'm finally able to post a photo. Meet my WA6SE! Nothing fancy, just stock tubes for now. I thought I'd post one to keep thread burning. Will try post more soon.
Edited by jaiemm - 1/12/14 at 6:39ampost #1077 of 23301/12/14 at 7:19amQuote:
Beauty. Congratulations!post #1078 of 23301/13/14 at 11:10ampost #1079 of 23301/15/14 at 6:59am
Trying to get a metal base GZ34 from eBay and I came across a Valvo brand NOS GZ34 tube that was manufactured in Holland with a date code of rS1 55D. Isn't this basically the same tube as the Mullard? There seems to be a substantial difference in price between the Valvo and the Mullard/Philips NOS tubes, and would like to understand why that would be the case...
Many thanks in advance for your guidance.post #1080 of 23301/15/14 at 8:04amQuote:
The output jacks were designed for a high and low input and will work as you described but you may notice some degradation in performance. The amp was designed to be used with a single headphone ahs each input has different gain. So the short answer is yes they will work together and more than likely the performance will drop form a single headphone.
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 5 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 5 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 6 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 7 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 7 minutes ago
- › Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' over-ear headphones 8 minutes ago
- › D.C. Area Meet (August 30, 2015) Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by HiFiChris
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2