Well - my first replacement of tubes will be a pair of NOS RCA 6GL7's and a NOS Mullard GZ32. Here's hoping it sounds good with my T90.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Sonett, WA6 SE or MAD Ear+HD for Grado? Last post on 4/21/11 at 5:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tube amp replacement? Last post on 12/7/10 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack Last post on 3/23/13 at 11:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
- Headphone Impedance
Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice - Page 72
Gear mentioned in this thread:
the GZ32 is a very nice tube. don't know how they will pair with the 6GL7 though. i'm actually surprised the gz32 is still so readily available and cheap, it sounds almost as good as the U52, maybe a little less airy, but the tonality and transparency is really good.
I would choose 6FD7 or 6GL7, i did not try the GZ32 with WA6-SE unfortunately.
I would still overall choose the 6FD7 though. the 6GL7 is a unique tube that is one of the better sounding for the WA6-SE, but its best paired with the 596 since it adds bass and smoothens the sound a bit. it can be a little muddy and dark at times though cause its a colored sounding tube, i do not know how it will pair with GZ32.
the 6FD7 is the most neutral and has the most balance out of all the WA6-SE tubes, I would consider that one the best. with the 6GL7 being possibly better depending on the setup.
other than that, the only other tube i would consider is the 6EW7, smooth huge soundstage and good clarity, warm forgiving tube, but does have rather light bass at times. this one is my next favorite.
i do not care much for 6DE7 (warm but lacking control and depth) or 6DR7 (shouty and too warm with weak bass)
Just got these from my friend who, a long time ago, moved to something much-much-much better (a better amp).
Now I'm using the Princess with RCA 6EW7. My friend said these Raytheon sound a lot better. Will swap them in to see if I like them better than my current setup. BTW, the phones is LCD-X with Silver Dragon cable.
he gave u a free metal gz34?
btw the raytheon 6ew7 sounded similar to sylvania but i think the raytheon was slightly better. i used them alot when i had sophia for rectifier and it worked very well for pretty much every headphone except audeze (6FD7 for these!)
LOL it's not for free, but he gave it to me so I can try first. If I happen to like it, he would then sell it to me for about 200$.
Edited by PrTv - 1/11/14 at 9:50pm
I'm finally able to post a photo. Meet my WA6SE! Nothing fancy, just stock tubes for now. I thought I'd post one to keep thread burning. Will try post more soon.
Edited by jaiemm - 1/12/14 at 6:39am
Trying to get a metal base GZ34 from eBay and I came across a Valvo brand NOS GZ34 tube that was manufactured in Holland with a date code of rS1 55D. Isn't this basically the same tube as the Mullard? There seems to be a substantial difference in price between the Valvo and the Mullard/Philips NOS tubes, and would like to understand why that would be the case...
Many thanks in advance for your guidance.
The output jacks were designed for a high and low input and will work as you described but you may notice some degradation in performance. The amp was designed to be used with a single headphone ahs each input has different gain. So the short answer is yes they will work together and more than likely the performance will drop form a single headphone.
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 46 seconds ago
- › Why does headphones FR graph not look neutral like a straight line... 55 seconds ago
- › Need cable reccomendation for AKG K550 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the most portable and affordable high resolution DAP from... 5 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude