Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Help me find upgrade for my music style
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me find upgrade for my music style

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hello,

 

I have 2 headphones to listen to music, one portable and the other one I keep at home.

I own a Denon AH-D1001 and Klipsh S3.

 

The Klipsh are always hooked on my iPhone 4S and all of my music is encoded in AAC 320kbps (I don't use Apple lossless because of the space that would use on my iPhone.  And as for my Denon cans, I use them with my CD collection.

 

Now, I'm a huge pink floyd fan and this is what I listen 70% of the time.  The 30% remaining can be from Louis Armstrong to foo fighters and Disturbed!

 

So music can be some light guitar and clear sound to heavy strong guitar trash!

 

Would, anything other that what I own, make a better music experience for my ears?

 

thanks a lot in avance

post #2 of 20
The few Dynamic IEMs are known for presenting Guitar sound superbly like JVC FX700, Sony EX1000, EX7550, EX600, FXT90, GR07 and IE80. The BA IEMs are also known for this like CK100Pro, Shure SE535, HF5, XBA3, GR10 and PFE232. BTW please describe your budget and the sound preference for better recommendations.
Edited by ZARIM - 12/26/11 at 10:22am
post #3 of 20

Add the RE-262 to that list. I think it would probably be one of the best suggestions for the Pink Floyd kind of music.. Some music is magic on the RE-262.

post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 

As I'd only change the IEM right now, I'd spend max 250$

As for music preference, do you mean if I like more bass or more like flat music?

post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 

this RE-262 review makes them so tempting hehe

post #6 of 20

Do you have an amp because if you don't the RE262s are mediocre to average out of the iPhone 

post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerid View Post

Do you have an amp because if you don't the RE262s are mediocre to average out of the iPhone 



That is good to know because I'd use these only on my iPhone as I use my Denon with my cds.  What would you suggest then?

 

thank you

post #8 of 20

Pink floyd sounds great on the SM3 and westone 4 ,also monster turbine pro copper .

post #9 of 20

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydstyle View Post



That is good to know because I'd use these only on my iPhone as I use my Denon with my cds.  What would you suggest then?

 

thank you



A cheap and very small amp like the Fiio E6 ($35) or Digizoid Zo ($99) will help bring out their best, if you decide to try them.  You can see my thoughts on the RE262 here if you're interested.

post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

 



A cheap and very small amp like the Fiio E6 ($35) or Digizoid Zo ($99) will help bring out their best, if you decide to try them.  You can see my thoughts on the RE262 here if you're interested.


I've just bought the E6 15 mins ago from a canadian website at 40$CAD taxes in.  I am also very tempted with the RE262 but I have no idea where to buy them.  I am from Quebec, Canada is anyone can help on this

 

thank you

 

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydstyle View Post


I've just bought the E6 15 mins ago from a canadian website at 40$CAD taxes in.  I am also very tempted with the RE262 but I have no idea where to buy them.  I am from Quebec, Canada is anyone can help on this

 

thank you

 



http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=101

post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 

hey Coq, how will industrial and hard rock music sound in these IEM? Tool, NiN, Disturbed to name only these one.

I mostly listen to pink floyd but I also want my other bands to sound awesome as well.

post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydstyle View Post

hey Coq, how will industrial and hard rock music sound in these IEM? Tool, NiN, Disturbed to name only these one.

I mostly listen to pink floyd but I also want my other bands to sound awesome as well.



Well, I can't tell you really about hard rock, or industrial (metal) as I listen mostly to industrial electro (funker vogt, kmfdm, skinny pup, velvet acid christ, grendel, feindflug and so on) and to be honest - there are better IEMs for that kind of music. I couldn't even try because I just sold my pair to my father who listens more to pink floyd, ry cooder, and that kind of music in order to purchase other IEMs.

 

The thing is, you can't really have any IEM that will do all kinds of genres flawless; you have to compromise no matter how expensive gear you buy. If you're willing to compromise by listening to industrial and heavy metal with the RE-262 you should be prepared that it might not satisfy you. If you want a good IEM that will give those genres the justice they deserve, it might not fit too well with Pink Floyd. The styles are pretty different and I know that I'd want something like the RE-262 for the Pink Floyd kind of music and something totally different for the "RAWK" impact.

 

Someone said it so well: "I don't think the RE-262 were tuned for everyone in mind..." and it is so true. As said, for certain music it really creates something so beautiful that you can almost touch it. For other genres, it just sounds veiled, muffled and wrong. Maybe you should go for the RE-262 for Pink Floyd as your main IEM and a cheaper "do-it-all-decent" IEM for all the other music? There are fairly cheap ones with a V-shaped sound (that is what I'd like for metal and industrial metal) so it wouldn't have to be "ridiculously expensive" to buy two sets.. 

 

How deep is your wallet? wink_face.gif

post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 

I'd spend 200 to 250$.  I was in the impression that with very good IEM, they would sound very good let's say on pink floyd but still very good on other kind of music, let's say industrial.  If I compare with my Klipsch S3.

 

Do you have brand in mind as v-shaped sound?

 

thank you

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydstyle View Post

I'd spend 200 to 250$.  I was in the impression that with very good IEM, they would sound very good let's say on pink floyd but still very good on other kind of music, let's say industrial.  If I compare with my Klipsch S3.

 

Do you have brand in mind as v-shaped sound?

 

thank you



Oh well, there are some that does most music very decently.  

 

Still, I think it's better to have a couple that does their things excellently. As for comparison vs your Klipsch S3 - I actually preferred my Klipsch S4 to my RE-262 pretty often since I listen to the kind of music that  sounded better with a V-shaped sound. Of course, all this is opinion and YMMV - still, I don't believe that there would be some IEM that could become warm and smooth when needed and cold and analytical when needed, being able to be excellent in the lows, mids and the highs, etcetera. For me, personally, it's different sound signatures for different music and moods.

 

As for recommendations, you really should ask |Joker|, ClieOS or dkft. Those three have listened to more IEMs than I ever could in my whole life. Tell them how you like your sound, what your budget is and what you want to do with your money. They will probably come up with better recommendations than I ever could. The problem with threads like these, is that there is a somewhat fanboyish attitude among some members here (far from everybody, but to a certain degree...), that will tell you that their favorite IEM does it all perfectly and flawlessly. If you want to believe that, it's fine - there are probably some IEMs that can cure cancer.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Help me find upgrade for my music style