New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replacement cable for KRK KNS 8400

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I just got some KRK KNS 8400 headphones for Christmas, and I'm new to the nice headphone realm. I love everything about these headphones except for the cable. It isn't that bad, but the length does bother me a bit as I prefer a more portable cable (the stock ones are about 7 ft I believe?). They are detachable, and I would prefer a cable that's more around 3-4 ft. I'm new to this so I really don't know anything about cables and the like and any recommendations would be appreciated.

post #2 of 14

KRK do a cable for the headphone that's 1.5 meters long, part code CBLK00032

I'm trying to find a UK supplier of this cable but can't seem to find one.

Found some in the USA but they don't ship to the UK frown.gif

 

The cable on these headphones have a unique fitting twist and lock jack feature that as far as I know only KRK use.

I don't need the in line volume control lead on my headphones so I'm thinking of modding it to make it very short with a standard 3.5mm female jack connector at the opposite end so therefore I can use a standard minijack to minijack cable.

 

Unfortunately I'm not very good at this sort of stuff and I don't know personally anyone who will do it for me. frown.gif

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

I was wondering about the twist and lock feature, are you sure that's something that only KRK does? I was hoping to get a 3rd party cable but I was afraid that the twist and lock feature means that only KRK cables will work. If you don't need the volume control shouldn't you just remove it lol? On one side of the volume control the cable plugs into it with the same twist and lock motion that you plug into the actual headphone. Maybe if you bought them online you didn't know this, cause the guy at the store demonstrated it.

 

Ultimately I'll probably get KRKs 1.5m cable. I was hoping for something as close to 1m as possible, but 1.5m isn't that much longer. Thanks.

post #4 of 14

I got my KRK 8400 about 6 months ago and really like them.  I agree the cable is too long for use on a computer or portable device.  I then took my headphones on a plane trip and the long lead was dam annoying.

 

Did you end up finding someone where to buy 1.5 meter?  I am in Australia and have not found anywhere they will ship here, there is also no one local that stocks the part.

 

On another note the headphones come with a soft bag, has anyone found a hard case?  I would like the hard case for traveling on a plane.

 

Cheers

post #5 of 14
So, had anybody found a UK supplier of these yet?
post #6 of 14

I got the 1.5m cable in the UK from cimple spares, wasn't exactly cheap but the cable gives the KRK's portable use and i don't get cable tangling issues.

post #7 of 14
Some KNS8400 users, including me, have found that the stock cable causes microphonic noise. I've been asking about replacement cable on the appreciation thread.
 
Does KRK's shorter 1.5 meter cable solve that problem? If not, does anyone know of a good replacement?

Edited by Claritas - 12/2/13 at 3:31pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

I have both and will check later. I don't remember it ever being an issue though.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post

I have both and will check later. I don't remember it ever being an issue though.

 

Thank you very much! Maybe you got a good batch or the replacement cable doesn't have that problem. (I hope so.)

post #10 of 14

wasn't exactly cheap but the cable gives the KRK's portable use and i don't get cable tangling issues.

vrt

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagreallfues View Post
 

wasn't exactly cheap but the cable gives the KRK's portable use and i don't get cable tangling issues.

 

I'm not having a problem with tangling. The problem is microphonic noise: the cable picks up sounds. If I tap it lightly anywhere, I can hear it clearly in the left ear. That shouldn't be happening, but I'm one of several members who have reported this. I'm certainly willing to spend the money if I know that it will fix the problem.

post #12 of 14
I'm presently testing the stock cable as I type this and like the 1.5m replacement, there is no discernible microphonic noise of note whilst listening to music. Yes, if I tap hard on the cable, I hear it, but definitely no issue for me until pointed out. Any stiff cable might come with some slight symptom of this, but I would never have noticed unless pointed out to me (unlike a number of IEMs I've tried with a real issue of microphonic noise).

The fact that the pads are so airtight means that any movement of either the cable or the headphone themselves causes a blip in the pressure of the seal, which causes noise. The moral of the story is don't tap your cans or tug the cable hard if you don't want to hear that. In normal use, even walking around, it won't be an issue unless your really being picky.
Edited by amigomatt - 12/3/13 at 3:31pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post

I'm presently testing the stock cable as I type this and like the 1.5m replacement, there is no discernible microphonic noise of note whilst listening to music. Yes, if I tap hard on the cable, I hear it, but definitely no issue for me until pointed out. Any stiff cable might come with some slight symptom of this, but I would never have noticed unless pointed out to me (unlike a number of IEMs I've tried with a real issue of microphonic noise).

The fact that the pads are so airtight means that any movement of either the cable or the headphone themselves causes a blip in the pressure of the seal, which causes noise. The moral of the story is don't tap your cans or tug the cable hard if you don't want to hear that. In normal use, even walking around, it won't be an issue unless your really being picky.

 

Thank you very much for testing them both for me. Because I want to use them for monitoring (as opposed to casual listening), I can't allow any interference. So I'm going to investigate further. Thanks again.

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

Thank you very much for testing them both for me. Because I want to use them for monitoring (as opposed to casual listening), I can't allow any interference. So I'm going to investigate further. Thanks again.
Ah, I see. I hope you find a solution. It seems to me that its the whole design of the body of the headphone and its interface with my head that leads to noise. I'm doubtful a different cable would make a difference. Different pads may help. Something not airtight like velours. You then deal with a change in sound signature, but it might be worth a try. It may even improve things. I've generally had better results with velour pads over leather/pleather..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: