Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197 - Page 568

post #8506 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


^ That's what they all say, sooner or later ATH is gonna take over your entire collection and Ooops how did this happen. wink_face.gif

 

Yes. Must resist wanting the CKS1000 and have that happening to me as well :)

post #8507 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

Yes. Must resist wanting the CKS1000 and have that happening to me as well :)


haha, kinda ironic cuz i have owned mostly JVC budget-fi gears but i don't think i am that big of a fan of their "house" sound. I dunno it just sounds too linear and doesn't have enough refined warmth to it.

 

I think you're fine with those gr07 BEs WAYNE but i will soon find out what the hype is cuz eke just shipped it out yesterday and i should get it by early next week. They're on a detour to my place before i send it back to atomik's beautiful self.

 

Those CKS1000 is like an iem version of your WS99s meng, don't you read fool. Ds needs to slap some sense into you ASAP. haha

 

Just keep your lust for those XBA 40s on target and you should be a happy camper. tongue_smile.gif


Edited by sfwalcer - 3/29/13 at 12:36pm
post #8508 of 25522

Let's see: I have four JVCs Iems; four AT IEMs; three TDK; one Westone IEM; two AT headphones (but I never listen to the M-50 so I'll say one); one JVC  heaphone; on Fischer headphone; one Creative Live;  on Sony IEM; one Shure; and one Vsonic (and some no name stuff). And not counting my two excellent 1964 EARS customs (which I consider the V6 the best phone I own period). 

So nope, not worried about becoming a AT fanboi, although I have been impressed with them lately. I'm sure JVC will put out something soon I want real bad (I really want their top of the line wood headphone with the wood woofer, but that's way outside of my price range).

post #8509 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

I think you're fine with those gr07 BEs WAYNE but i will soon find out what the hype is cuz eke just shipped it out yesterday and i should get it by early next week. They're on a detour to my place before i send it back to atomik's beautiful self.

 

I know I'm fine with them :)   But it seems that no matter what you get, once the head-fi/audio addiction gets it's hooks into you, there's no stopping it lol! The only rationalizing I can hang onto at the moment is that I would also like a high end non-over ears iem. Yeah, that's it!

 

Quote:

Those CKS1000 is like an iem version of your WS99s meng, don't you read fool. Ds needs to slap some sense into you ASAP. haha

 

Yes, I do know that. And that's why resisting them is going to be a very difficult thing to do.

 

Quote:
Just keep your lust for those XBA 40s on target and you should be a happy camper. tongue_smile.gif

 

The only thing that concerns me about the 40's is how source sensitive they are. The 30's would probably be a safer bet in that regard (at the expense of some soundstage etc). So I would consider the 30's if their price comes back down to around $130 (that would be a great price for them). Heck, RE400's look pretty great for $100 as well. Heck, the CKS99's might be awesome for $70 - why don't you snag them and let us know?

 

For now though, yeah, the gr07be's are keeping the iem impulse buying at bay :)

post #8510 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


haha, kinda ironic cuz i have owned mostly JVC budget-fi gears but i don't think i am that big of a fan of their "house" sound. I dunno it just sounds too linear and doesn't have enough refined warmth to it.

 

I think you're fine with those gr07 BEs WAYNE but i will soon find out what the hype is cuz eke just shipped it out yesterday and i should get it by early next week. They're on a detour to my place before i send it back to atomik's beautiful self.

 

Those CKS1000 is like an iem version of your WS99s meng, don't you read fool. Ds needs to slap some sense into you ASAP. haha

 

Just keep your lust for those XBA 40s on target and you should be a happy camper. tongue_smile.gif

 

 

Oh, if that is the case, I don't need the WS99, although it would be great to hear a headphone that sound like the CKS1000. You have a hell of a pair of headphones if they sound like the CKS1000, waynes world.

post #8511 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

Oh, if that is the case, I don't need the WS99, although it would be great to hear a headphone that sound like the CKS1000. You have a hell of a pair of headphones if they sound like the CKS1000, waynes world.

 

Well, hopefully dsnuts chimes in, because he has both. But as far as the WS99's being something special is concerned, they are indeed.

post #8512 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

 

 

Oh, if that is the case, I don't need the WS99, although it would be great to hear a headphone that sound like the CKS1000. You have a hell of a pair of headphones if they sound like the CKS1000, waynes world.


Well you're not safe just yet, cuz the CKS1000s from Ds impressions is like a more condensed version of the WS99s, so if you have the WS99 getting the CKS1000s is like a slight downgrade as in WAYNE's case. But for you getting the WS99s is like a upgrade from your CKS1000s. Don't you want to hear those CKS1Ks at the full glory and potential??? normal_smile%20.gif

post #8513 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


Well you're not safe just yet, cuz the CKS1000s from Ds impressions is like a more condensed version of the WS99s, so if you have the WS99 getting the CKS1000s is like a slight downgrade as in WAYNE's case. But for you getting the WS99s is like a upgrade from your CKS1000s. Don't you want to hear those CKS1Ks at the full glory and potential??? normal_smile%20.gif

 

Lol - obviously the WS99 hype machine has rubbed off on you a bit sf! Just.Do.It. biggrin.gif

post #8514 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

Lol - obviously the WS99 hype machine has rubbed off on you a bit sf! Just.Do.It. biggrin.gif


Say what?!!! NO SUCH THING!!! I am immune to peer pressure remember. bigsmile_face.gif triportsad.gif

post #8515 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


Say what?!!! NO SUCH THING!!! I am immune to peer pressure remember. bigsmile_face.giftriportsad.gif

 

This isn't peer pressure. This is me telling you what you must do and eventually will do. If you don't get with the program, I only have one question for you...

PhotoScape

 

And yes, I am Jennifer Aniston :)

post #8516 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

I don't doubt you, but could you please elaborate?


Kinda hard to elaborte.  The question was if the New Cks's could match the old CKS bass and the answer is no, not at all.  Be it Punch, or rumble the cks77 comes out on top.  The new CKS are waaaay more focused on mids than the bass imo.  Extremely bigger soundstage and better clarity on these new ones as well.  Bass and general full bodied-ness the 77 eats the newer ones whole.  If you want a bass upgrade to the 77, I have to recommend the JVC FXZ200, I honestly said "where the hell did the bass go" when I tried to go back to my cks77's after the JVC.    

post #8517 of 25522
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

I don't doubt you, but could you please elaborate?


Kinda hard to elaborte.  The question was if the New Cks's could match the old CKS bass and the answer is no, not at all.  Be it Punch, or rumble the cks77 comes out on top.  The new CKS are waaaay more focused on mids than the bass imo.  Extremely bigger soundstage and better clarity on these new ones as well.  Bass and general full bodied-ness the 77 eats the newer ones whole.  If you want a bass upgrade to the 77, I have to recommend the JVC FXZ200, I honestly said "where the hell did the bass go" when I tried to go back to my cks77's after the JVC.    

 

This is exactly the comparison I had been looking/waiting for.  That is, the change in bass impact between the CKS77 and the newer "solid bass" ATH IEMs.  The upgrade challenge with the CKS77 is to keep the same bass impact with better mids and highs.  Getting better mids and highs with a reduction in bass impact is not an upgrade.  Call it something else, but not an upgrade.  Those who like a lot of bass, but would be happy with less bass impact than that provided by the CKS77, will think of the new solid bass as an upgrade even if they were not.  Those of us who would not be as happy with a lower bass impact than what the CKS77 have, such as quisxx, SAM63 and I, would only see as an upgrade something with the same or greater bass impact and better mids and highs.

 

I gave my CKS77 to a friend of mine, knowing that he enjoyed them as much as I did.  Since I see him often, I borrowed them for the weekend.  Listening to them again, I have just realized that cleaning the mids and highs at the expense of less bass impact would not be an upgrade for me.

 

Look at the posts linked below to have a better picture of what quisxx is writing about.  It seems like SAM63 had not found the FXZ200 bass until his last post.  But, quisxx did!

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/1365#post_9006220

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/1515#post_9016681

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/2010#post_9049031

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/2625#post_9197200

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/2625#post_9197236

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/2625#post_9197253

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/2625#post_9197382

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/2625#post_9197845

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/2625#post_9197852

 

 

Now, I have a question for you, quisxx:  How do the mids and highs of the FXZ200 compare to those of the CKS77?


Edited by Alberto01 - 3/29/13 at 6:40pm
post #8518 of 25522
Good day to everyone! I was wondering whether it would be possible for someone to compare the ATH-CKN70 with the ATH-AD900X? Would like to also hear comparisons of the CKN70 with the Hifiman RE-400. How much of an improvement would these phones be over the JVC-HAS500? I would also like to know whether which phones are best for folk, acoustic, alternative-type music, with a preference for male voices and guitar. Thanks!
post #8519 of 25522
Thread Starter 

I am taking a bit of a break from study.. Yes even on my day off. I have to have my nose in the books. For your question of how the AD900X compares to the CKN70. Both are entirely different beasts as you know. One is a full sized headphone and one is the current iem topic of this thread. 

 

This may surprise you guys but I have lost count on just how many hours I have been burning in my CKN70 and I do feel they have not only a fuller sound but also has balanced out for the better. If I was to guess I have well over a 1000 hours of burn in. Since I have been at home with my study time I just let music rip through my Audinst MX2 and one end plugged to my CKN70 and the other plugged into one of my other headphones..I do know that once the drivers actually mature the mids on the CKN70 actually has some warmth to them much like the CKS1000 does and will sound much fuller even after 200 hours or so.  Also I am certain the CKN70 actually has the stiffest driver over any of the carbon nanotube phones to date. So keep at it.

 

Both phones are excellent for the money and with one being the AD900X you get a full open back beautifully executed light and comfortable headphone that has a stage and air to the sounds that most headphones lack. The stage of the CKN70 is commendable for such a smaller earphone but the AD900X is grand in stage compared to the CKN70. But the stage is focused on the CKN70 and there for detail of your entire tune comes out cleanly on them. Micro HD using carbon nantubes. The CKN70 does not lack any detail and only sounds better and better with longer burn in and use on them... These are my go to portable earphones as much as my CKS1000.

 

I want to say both phones does guitar amazing but for male vocals the CKN70 has a slight edge simply because the stage is more intimate over the AD900X. And also has a the more fuller lower mids that help out male vocal presentation. Where the AD900X is excellent is their overall presentation and that stage..Bigger grander musical scores just can't sound any better to my ears.

 

I can honestly recommend either or but it will be more dependent on your need. If you want one for on the go. The CKN70 or maybe even the new RE400 Danny got sounds like a good option as well...The only issue with the CKN70 is they do need a BIG burn in.. I can turn up my CKN70 with no harshness in the highs at all now where before turning up the music meant I had to turn it down because of the forward treble. Not anymore.. The RE400 sounds like they will be easy going from the go so that might be a good option.

 

For the CKS1000 vs the WS99. Think CKS1000 with bigger bass and you get the WS99.. The CKS1000 clarity being in ears has the edge over the WS99 therefore vocal guys will like the more mid focus of the CKS1000 over the WS99. But once you adjust to the bigger sound on the WS99 the mids on them are just as engaging if not more so.


Edited by Dsnuts - 3/29/13 at 7:15pm
post #8520 of 25522
Really thanks for the reply Ds! Glad to hear from you and good luck on your studies! Would like to hear from other people with these phones too (Danny) :-) Thanks to all!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197