Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197 - Page 271

post #4051 of 25592

changed the tips to the ones from the fx40 as Ds suggested.

Honestly.

 

They sound like my Brainwavz HM5 (from memory. haven't used them in a week)

 

But. with that meaty low end I've been looking for.

 

And then as i was removing them from my ears, the tips got stuck in my ears.

Sooooo.

fx40 tips on xb90ex = no bueno.

they don't fit tightly.


on that note.

what's the cheapest wider bore tips I can find that fit the xb90s snuggly (like the sony tips that come with)?

post #4052 of 25592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

Well, I've been listening to the Brainwavz R1 today and I cannot find the right tip to make these work.  So far Sony hybrids are the only ones that work for me.  I can say that these are not balanced for sure.  There's plenty of bass but really good sub-bass region.  Mids and trebles don't take a hit at all.  The treble is actually quite lively but not sibilant.  It does have a nice and big soundstage.  They sound good but tips and getting a good fit is going to be a deal breaker for me I think.

I haven't tried the Sony hybrids yet. Did that tame the bass? So far I have settled on the Monster hybrid foams (large white ones before they redid the sizing with color codes). As I stated here or another post, it pushes the sound toward balance, but not there. When I get home I should have 30 hours of burn in (hooked up to an ipod that ran most of yesterday and was going strong this morning. So I'll how it does. Today the W4 are in my ears. I tell you every time I step away from the W4 then stick it back into my ears I'm amazed at it's instrument separation, layering, clarity and detail. For example, if a trombone, tenor saxophone, trumpet and alto saxophone are playing a chorus together, I can hear each horn clearly and separately. But I'm excited to hear what the R1 sounds like with good burn in. It's not the most refined but it's great on details with good instrument separation (but doesn't touch the W4 at all of course).

post #4053 of 25592
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

changed the tips to the ones from the fx40 as Ds suggested.

Honestly.

 

They sound like my Brainwavz HM5 (from memory. haven't used them in a week)

 

But. with that meaty low end I've been looking for.

 

And then as i was removing them from my ears, the tips got stuck in my ears.

Sooooo.

fx40 tips on xb90ex = no bueno.

they don't fit tightly.


on that note.

what's the cheapest wider bore tips I can find that fit the xb90s snuggly (like the sony tips that come with)?

did you use those tips previously? if so, they might be "tired" after being on a larger nozzle of fx40. had the same problem with meelec tips (that I was using on much larger nozzle iems like Able planets and Meelec M21, and it also came of. after that I tried the ones that I didn't use (due to the size, and the fit on the nozzle was much tighter). 
anyways, the ones I'm using right now and am really satisfied with are the ones that came with the able planet si500 - bore diameter is almost exactly the same as the meelec ips (which are huge) and they fit with no problem whatsoever. also, they are comfortable and sound much, much better than stock hybrids and maybe even the meelec tips wink.gif I'd say if you can get the able planets for what I got them (under 30 bucks with free shipping from amazon) than do it - you'll have excellent tips for your sony, not to mention the iems themselves, which are frankly quite close overall to sonys in terms of sound...

post #4054 of 25592

Right now I'm listening to Miles davis with Sony XB90EX and god it is so pleasant that I won't go to bed up until 5 am just to have some more time with these babies :D funny how the "bass Kings' are most pleasant with non bassy music :D Mids and highs do really benefit from a really good long burn in and wider tips.

post #4055 of 25592
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihontoman View Post

did you use those tips previously? if so, they might be "tired" after being on a larger nozzle of fx40

Is "tired" audiophile for "stretched?"
post #4056 of 25592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post


Is "tired" audiophile for "stretched?"

LOL, I dunno. honestly, I wrote Tired because I forgot the word stretched - I know, strange, but I'm no native English speaker, so... :D

post #4057 of 25592
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihontoman View Post

LOL, I dunno. honestly, I wrote Tired because I forgot the word stretched - I know, strange, but I'm no native English speaker, so... biggrin.gif

Ah, fair enough. I may steal this though and tell people they need to rest their tips more for a better sound. :P
post #4058 of 25592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post


Ah, fair enough. I may steal this though and tell people they need to rest their tips more for a better sound. :P

do as you see fit :) though imho you should emphasize the safety of their ear canals rather than the sound quality :D

post #4059 of 25592
Thread Starter 

This is something I just ordered. I have always been wanting to try out a tube amp and i checked some reviews online about these and it seems to have some rave reviews. I am taking a chance on this here but hey. why not. These are called the Brave Audio Ocean. Tube amp. Take a look fellas. Will throw down a review of them in here once I get this.

This unit cost $128 free shipped. The price was right. I am just wondering how good it is.

post #4060 of 25592
Thread Starter 

post #4061 of 25592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

I haven't tried the Sony hybrids yet. Did that tame the bass? So far I have settled on the Monster hybrid foams (large white ones before they redid the sizing with color codes). As I stated here or another post, it pushes the sound toward balance, but not there. When I get home I should have 30 hours of burn in (hooked up to an ipod that ran most of yesterday and was going strong this morning. So I'll how it does. Today the W4 are in my ears. I tell you every time I step away from the W4 then stick it back into my ears I'm amazed at it's instrument separation, layering, clarity and detail. For example, if a trombone, tenor saxophone, trumpet and alto saxophone are playing a chorus together, I can hear each horn clearly and separately. But I'm excited to hear what the R1 sounds like with good burn in. It's not the most refined but it's great on details with good instrument separation (but doesn't touch the W4 at all of course).

Seems the hybrids tames the bass because I've been able to get a better fit with the large tips and the foams.  Foams are working the best so far but bass becomes boomy for me.  The large tips make the bass too much.  The foams make the soundstage very deep.  Sounds like all the instruments are at the back of the stage except the vocals and drums, which are up front.  This is the weirdest soundstage I've heard in awhile, though not bad.  It's very deep.  When I listen to Radiohead, it sounds like I'm in a large auditorium.  These have some crazy sub-bass.  It's much thicker than the XB90EX but goes just as deep.  I think the stage is even bigger than the Sony's.  Maybe I'm still not getting the proper fit but this is one crazy sounding earphone…and not in a bad way.  

post #4062 of 25592
What about the new soundmagic HP200?

People need to know about them, they are excellent cans
post #4063 of 25592
Thread Starter 

Those look interesting. But the reason or the lack of interest might have something to do with the ginormous attention the V-Moda M-100 is getting. Plus others in that price range. Sennheiser Momentums, UE6000, Sony MDR-1R.  

 

In all honesty if I was gonna spend $250 on a headphone. Soundmagic is no where in my thoughts. Don't know if it is the lack of history with full sized cans..I am sure they are worth the cash but Soundmagic need to show up at an event like RMAF and let the many in attendance hear them for more marketing buzz. As it is. I don't know a single headfier that is willing to take a chance on a unknown HP200 when all the buzz currently @ Headfi is all about the M-100s. The thread is over 580 pages not to mention another review thread on them..I am sure more Headfiers will gain interest in them but it will be slow going as there are some serious exciting headphones one can buy at that price range at the moment.

post #4064 of 25592

I have a feeling I'm going to be losing the XB90ex.

I've only been listening to them for 2 hours straight but here's why.

 

I listen to many many many many music genres.

The XB90ex are MORE THAN FANTASTIC when bass heavy music is playing. And by bass heavy I mean not much focus on other parts of the sound spectrum.

I could listen to them for hours and hours.

 

When the rest of the sound spectrum comes into the picture.... I am amazed at how good these are even though the focus is subbass.

BUT. They're actually just a bit less than decent.

So. for bassy music. I will have to say they are excellent excellent excellent.

 

If, however, you are looking for all rounders with fantastic subbass, these don't work.

I played two tracks repeatedly.

Adele's "Rumor has it" and Wale's "Triumph"


Oh. last tracks for testing were this.


 

AND THIS.

 

Listening to these through the XB90ex and the FX40. There are clear differences.


Edited by atomikn00b - 10/24/12 at 5:05pm
post #4065 of 25592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

Seems the hybrids tames the bass because I've been able to get a better fit with the large tips and the foams.  Foams are working the best so far but bass becomes boomy for me.  The large tips make the bass too much.  The foams make the soundstage very deep.  Sounds like all the instruments are at the back of the stage except the vocals and drums, which are up front.  This is the weirdest soundstage I've heard in awhile, though not bad.  It's very deep.  When I listen to Radiohead, it sounds like I'm in a large auditorium.  These have some crazy sub-bass.  It's much thicker than the XB90EX but goes just as deep.  I think the stage is even bigger than the Sony's.  Maybe I'm still not getting the proper fit but this is one crazy sounding earphone…and not in a bad way.  

 

Yeah, this bass is powerful like the FAD and XB90. But mids and treble are so nice (I think the treble in the R1 beats the treble in the other two without being harsh). I'm finding now that Monster foam and the stock silicon tips work best with this earphone. I'm using the LL stock silicon now. Nothing is really taming the bass that much, but it's cleaner with 30 hours burn-in on it. Now I need to try the sony hybid. although it doesn't obscure the mids and treble, I would like the bass tuned down probably a notch. This is definitely more of a "clean" basshead earphone than balance/neutral one, but I'm still loving the sound signature. Very powerful!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197