Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197 - Page 13

post #181 of 25633

I am still waiting for my SHE3580 to arrive.

Has anyone tried Rocking Residence XLNT Fifth In-Ear Headphones?

Technical Details:

Frequency Respose: 10-25000Hz
Cable Length: 1.2M
Connector (s): 3.5mm plug
Impedance: 32Ω
Driver Unit: 13.5mm

post #182 of 25633

All this thread needs now is an A/B comparison of the Isurus and the Audio-technica!!!! Someone? Anyone?!

post #183 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by donedj View Post
 These iems are now questioning me why we pay loads of money ($100+ for some other brands) while the $10 gemstones do as well.


build quality is one reason.  while I like these philips so far, the cable is mediocre at best.  flimsy and retains shapes. there is no slider after the Y junction and stain relief is minimal.  While I love how light they are that also means the plastic housing cant be too thick.  I would say these are a Hyundai.  In contrast the ckm99 I had (don't ask me for sound comparisons, I had them quite a while ago) used a thick metal housing, decent strain relief and a substantially thicker cable.  I felt like I could step on them and just dust them off and put them back in my ears.  They would be more like a BMW. 


Edited by idvsego - 12/28/11 at 4:38am
post #184 of 25633

I just listened to Kirk Franklin's 'Now Behold the Lamb' on the Isurus (jays silicon tips). I got chills listening to those women sing. There's no doubt in my mind that these drivers are gold.

post #185 of 25633
Thread Starter 

I have to admit. Female vocals on the isurus shine much like my A900X. Again another reason why I came to the conclusion why the Sound signature is leaning toward Audio Technica house sound. It will only be a matter of time before we figure out which one. But I have no doubts in my mind this it the exact sound signature that is on the A700 A900 A900X.. But in an earphone.

post #186 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

I have to admit. Female vocals on the isurus shine much like my A900X. Again another reason why I came to the conclusion why the Sound signature is leaning toward Audio Technica house sound. It will only be a matter of time before we figure out which one. But I have no doubts in my mind this it the exact sound signature that is on the A700 A900 A900X.. But in an earphone.



I've asked i2ehan to get a pair, because he has a ckm99 on hand. Hopefully he obliges and we'll have our answer 

post #187 of 25633

Any idea what tips to use?

 

I tried hybrids and ue but they are a fraction too big and id rather not chance it.

 

Im thinking shure olives might be good, what do you folks think?

 

Just got my p4 warbler, so im dying to fire it up.

post #188 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post

Any idea what tips to use?

 

I tried hybrids and ue but they are a fraction too big and id rather not chance it.

 

Im thinking shure olives might be good, what do you folks think?

 

Just got my p4 warbler, so im dying to fire it up.



The Isurus or philips?

post #189 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by idvsego View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by donedj View Post
 These iems are now questioning me why we pay loads of money ($100+ for some other brands) while the $10 gemstones do as well.


build quality is one reason.  while I like these philips so far, the cable is mediocre at best.  flimsy and retains shapes. there is no slider after the Y junction and stain relief is minimal.  While I love how light they are that also means the plastic housing cant be too thick.  I would say these are a Hyundai.  In contrast the ckm99 I had (don't ask me for sound comparisons, I had them quite a while ago) used a thick metal housing, decent strain relief and a substantially thicker cable.  I felt like I could step on them and just dust them off and put them back in my ears.  They would be more like a BMW. 




For the price of the ckm99 you could buy several copies of the Philips, which would surely last longer than one CKM99.  But for me the reverse has been the case--my $200 IEMs broke in less than half the time I've used the $10 Philips...

 

Also I disagree about the relationship between lightness and housing quality (or lack thereof).  The Etys are even lighter than the Philips, but that's probably because they use even tinier BA drivers (while the Philips drivers are small in their own right).  Also when I tap the housing it makes a dull clicking sound, much like the Ety housing.  Plastic is a less resonant material than metal anyway--ever see a bell made out of plastic? biggrin.gif


Edited by Joe Bloggs - 12/28/11 at 10:13am
post #190 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post

Any idea what tips to use?

 

I tried hybrids and ue but they are a fraction too big and id rather not chance it.

 

Im thinking shure olives might be good, what do you folks think?

 

Just got my p4 warbler, so im dying to fire it up.



You got the Philips right?  I know that Comply T-400 tips fit them, don't know about shure olives.  Do those come in different sizes?  The one I saw here seems too small in inner diameter. (compare with the T-400's inner diameter further down the page)

post #191 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post




For the price of the ckm99 you could buy several copies of the Philips, which would surely last longer than one CKM99.  But for me the reverse has been the case--my $200 IEMs broke in less than half the time I've used the $10 Philips...

 

Also I disagree about the relationship between lightness and housing quality (or lack thereof).  The Etys are even lighter than the Philips, but that's probably because they use even tinier BA drivers (while the Philips drivers are small in their own right).  Also when I tap the housing it makes a dull clicking sound, much like the Ety housing.  Plastic is a less resonant material than metal anyway--ever see a bell made out of plastic? biggrin.gif



pay for one that lasts a while or pay for a 10 and swap them when they break (contrary to the prices the OP stated, the cmk99 goes for $100-120 frequently)...I didn't say one option was better than another.  He simply asked why people would spend more.  Some people have a sound sig they have settled on and want to make a single purchase and not worry about it for a while.  I don't really fall into that camp...I mean, you are talking to a guy that bought the Philips.  If I was in that camp I wouldn't read this thread much less make a purchase based on it.  As far as how long they last...$$ doesn't always equal good build quality.  The hippo VBs did not have great build quality.  Seems the Monster products don't either.  You don't ALWAYS get what you pay for, there are exceptions to every rule.  I have only had 1 set of IEMs actually break on me and that was the vsonic R02 I think, but I baby mine.  I keep them in metal tins and only use stuff like the Philips when doing potentially damaging activities like yardwork etc.

 

lightness is not the only reason for that statement, also price.  There are many light materials that are insanely strong...but you also pay a premium for them  I am making an assumption that for that price the manufacturer didnt use anything stronger than the standard plastics.  And yes, I have at least 3 plastic bells on my Christmas tree wink_face.gif

 

I am not saying that the Philips are not great values.  Please don't take the Hyundai comparison as a slight.  Hyundai is a quality company making cars that are a significant value but suffer from the substandard impression that has come from previous years and flooding the market with a wide array of products.  They represent the value that Honda used to be when they first came off the boats.  I am enjoying the Philips and they are actually going to be my go-to for introducing people to decent sound, but please don't try and act like that cable isn't like something on a pair of 1980s walkman headphones.  I personally won't pay over $100 for any set anymore...but lets not act like the Philips, or any set for that matter, is the only set people should consider and there there is no longer a market or reason for IEMS over $30.

 

I spent a few minutes typing all of that so I am still going to post it but I realized all I am doing is stating the same opinion many people do when a FOTM or new product in general hits the head-fi market.  Dsnuts has brought us some gems for sure and it is much appreciated, but the threads are often wrought with hyperbole based on short term impressions and the thrill of a good value.  Time usually shows that the impressions settle some.  They go out of stock and the bargain hunting locusts that we are swarm on to the next one.  Its fun and cheaper than taking up golf.

post #192 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post



You got the Philips right?  I know that Comply T-400 tips fit them, don't know about shure olives.  Do those come in different sizes?  The one I saw here seems too small in inner diameter. (compare with the T-400's inner diameter further down the page)



the Olives don't slide right on but you can make them fit.  I am going to be trying just that when I get home.  The philips nozzles are a shade smaller than most but not significantly.  My hybrids comeoff way easier thant he stock Philips tips do...but havent become lodged in my ear or anything.  I plan on ordering some complys in a few weeks.

post #193 of 25633

Yeah idvsego I can totally see what you mean.  These things can get over-hyped.  As for the cable problem on the Philips--maybe the cable could use some break in too.  Having bought 4 sets of these, I notice that they always come out of the package as a tangly curly mess, it's a problem with how the cable is packaged.  The two pairs I use regularly though are straight and show no memory effect worth mentioning, and I do curl them up into a ring when pocketing them.  They aren't really any more or less manageable than my etys.

post #194 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

Yeah idvsego I can totally see what you mean.  These things can get over-hyped.  As for the cable problem on the Philips--maybe the cable could use some break in too.  Having bought 4 sets of these, I notice that they always come out of the package as a tangly curly mess, it's a problem with how the cable is packaged.  The two pairs I use regularly though are straight and show no memory effect worth mentioning, and I do curl them up into a ring when pocketing them.  They aren't really any more or less manageable than my etys.



thats promising since I can't seem to get rid of the little pigtail curl at the plug from the original packaging.  I do curl mine into a mint tin for storage.  For anyone reading this...the cable is no reason to skip buying these.  I was simply pointing out it is one of the places they chose to save money in production cost.  I am very happy with the purchase and will be picking up a purple set and a blue or pink set for 2 of my daughters.  Assuming nothing better comes along they will be my default gift for secret santa exchanges next year too. 

post #195 of 25633
Quote:
Originally Posted by idvsego View Post

 Its fun and cheaper than taking up golf.


And the house of head-fi said "AMEN!"

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Singolos! pg1644..Doppios! pg1197