- 71 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productJVC HA-FX101tagged by System, 6/19/12
- productJVC HA-FX40-B Earphone - KV6902tagged by System, 6/19/12
- productPhilips SHE3580/28 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/29/12
- productPhilips SHE9700tagged by System, 1/7/12
- productSony MH1C Black Livesound Hi-Fi Stereo In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/29/12
- productThermaltake, In-ear Headsettagged by System, 12/31/11
- productVSONIC VC1000tagged by YOT, 6/26/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sturdy budget earphones, best bang for the buck? (Mostly for text) Last post on 9/26/12 at 5:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Monoprice NEW! MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club.. Last post on 4/3/14 at 10:30pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Does it make sense to buy IEM's that match the DAC? Last post on 7/21/13 at 4:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- GR02 vs GR99 vs GR04 vs MH1C Last post on 11/4/12 at 3:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF M200..PG835..Philips Fidelio S2.... - Page 388post #5806 of 239631/6/13 at 10:52amFor me bass on es800m doesnt overpower anything- they sound like 8320 only with added bass. And doesnt lack anything.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5807 of 239631/6/13 at 10:57amThread StarterQuote:
You should write up a thread based on them I am sure guys will be interested. Throw some pics and write a nice review and I am sure other bass fans will snap em up.post #5808 of 239631/6/13 at 12:30pmThread Starter
So while I am watching the Colts vs Ravens I thought I would share a bit on the new microHD driver ATH-CKN50. I know a few of you guys have been waiting for an impression from me on these so here it is.
These are ATs answer to the FXD earphones from JVC. They use a very similar tech in MicroHDs and we all know both houses are going to use their know how in tuning these earphones..
Firstly I would like to say guys that recently purchased the MH1Cs know how they sound. A very nice sound indeed and those also use micro HD drivers in them as well but one of the main complaints was the bass end is boosted for a more consumer friendly sound. This may be true but the strong suit for them is their nice detail. These are no exception. If I was to pick a sound characteristic that fits these CKN50s it would be body. What I mean by this. For being small single drivers these have a full bodied sound to them that is also on the MH1C but here is where the comparisons end and the differences begin.
These CKN50s are an upgrade to the MH1C in what they do and also a step up from previous mid range earphones AT has done such as the CKM500..What I heard on first listen and what I am hearing now is a fantastic sound. These earphones has many of the same qualities the FXD earphones have but somehow the body of music is bit fuller, a bit richer, with even better instrument separation than the FXD70. Using Danny's Leckerton dac/amp I am comparing these with the their direct competitor the FXD70 and stage is a bit wider and sound is deeper as well.
These share a very similar sound to the FXD70 and a bit of the FXD80 thrown in there but somehow AT managed to make it their own. Guys that are fans of the AT sound should without a doubt grab one of these for their collections..Doing a direct A/B against the FXD80. Mids are more foward in the mix and more intimate and has more body to the sound..Mids are deeper and fuller on the CKN50s and share an identical amount of detail in the sound. Somehow these CKN50s are showing me improvements to the FXD earphone sound.
Vs the CKM500. I remember guys was complaining on the CKM500 thread about the lack of lower mids on the sound to give better body to male vocals. Well this problem is completely solved on the CKN50.. The mids on the CKN50 is not only more complete but they also have more texture and body..I am gonna say it here. These CKN50 is an upgrade to the CKM500. Sub bass extension is very high quality on these and has about the same amount of sub bass in comparison the CKM500. More than the FXD70 similar to the FXD80..I keep on switching from one earphone to another and I noticed the scope of the sound is greater on the CKN50 over the FXDs.
The highs are a bit forward in the sound as are all AT headphones and because of the detailed nature of the sound your sibilant tracks will be sibilant. So the sound is very revealing of source..Much like the other micro HD earphones. I do recommend a solid burn in for these to shine.. I found out from Danny these have practically no burn in time so I am burning them in for him here and listening to them as they are getting the Drum n Bass pounding they deserve.
These are a nice forward progression for AT and it took competition for them to try out a microHD driver..I don't know if these are absolute must haves if you own any of the FXDs. But they do show progression in the MicroHD tech and isn't that what competition is all about.
Edited by Dsnuts - 1/6/13 at 12:39pmpost #5809 of 239631/6/13 at 12:47pmNice review! Both ckm500 and mh1c is one of my all time favourite iem.
So i think i need at some time get them. What about treble? Like ckm500/cks700 or mh1c? Is it bit harsh? Ooohh, i just read your post again- like any AT iem. So it is acceptable unlike any jvc iem, where it hurts.I also have fxd80 but they are simply horrible. Both sq and ergonomic wise.
Edited by tomasskalnin - 1/6/13 at 12:49pmpost #5810 of 239631/6/13 at 12:50pmpost #5811 of 239631/6/13 at 12:51pmThread Starter
Similar to the CKM500. So out of box they can show some sibilance on some tracks but after a good overnight burn in the highs are starting to straighten up. I like em a lot actually. I plan on getting me a pair as these are on loan. Female vocals and male vocals just sound heavenly on these..Excellent first foray into micro hd tech by AT imo. And definitely worthy of your collections.
Oh yea one thing I forgot to add. Music imagery on these earphones are spectacular.
Edited by Dsnuts - 1/6/13 at 1:06pmpost #5812 of 239631/6/13 at 3:47pm
Guess those ATH space station iems are the real deal, but their style is not my cup of tea. I like the bolt looks of JVC much better. haha
Thanks Ds for that detailed review/ impression. Keep up the great work!
Oh forgot to say thanks to Danny for lending those out, when will it be my turn???
Edited by sfwalcer - 1/6/13 at 3:48pmpost #5813 of 239631/6/13 at 4:02pmpost #5814 of 239631/6/13 at 4:06pm
But... But.... I was just joking. ha Not sure if i can do what super Ds did just there, too much pressure. LoL Thanks Danny you are truly a great dood. Don't take what i say too seriously, i am serious.post #5815 of 239631/6/13 at 4:21pmQuote:
Sure you can! Just go on, or was it off, your meds and you'll be whipping up another great set of impressions!Quote:Thanks Danny you are truly a great dood. Don't take what i say too seriously, i am serious.
Now that I will agree with - Dan is the real deal.
Edited by waynes world - 1/6/13 at 4:26pmpost #5816 of 239631/6/13 at 4:30pm
My ele dac is lost in space. Ordered Nov29 and no sign of it . The seller is gonna send me another one. So sad! At least I got the E11 recently which is providing me some SQ enhancement for both my S500's and Uptowns, so that will have to keep me going.post #5817 of 239631/6/13 at 4:39pmQuote:
You might get them...................................... eventually. LoL you know what is strange, the ele dac chinese sellers don't give you a track # unless you pay for one. But i got a cheapo phone case that cost $3 and i got free tracking??? Pretty unwise/ not smart of them really to just send it out like that naked into the wild. It probably cost them like a couple of dollar for the dac but still..........post #5818 of 239631/6/13 at 4:56pmThread StarterQuote:
You get your MP8320 yet?post #5819 of 239631/6/13 at 4:59pmBoth you dudes (sf, Wayne) are in Canada, correct?
Pm me if you guys seriously want to audition stuff. I haven't had any mishaps with Canada post yet except for its slowness.post #5820 of 239631/6/13 at 5:05pmQuote:
San Francisco, hence sf. I wish I can join WAYNE in the land of maple leaves. :( I'll give you one if I am really interested in something. Most likely those FXZs. hoho Where you stay at Danny, cuz I don't think you live in the States right? Maybe you do. Thanks again Danny for the offer, truly a classy dood.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF M200..PG835..Philips Fidelio S2. PG 724!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 7 seconds ago
- › New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland 34 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Quality of Vsonic IEMS 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 7 minutes ago
- › Leak!!! Sony's New Portable Linear PCM Recorder PCM-D100 (upgrade... 9 minutes ago
- › Review + Appreciation thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI... 10 minutes ago
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob