Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF M200..PG835..Philips Fidelio S2. PG 724!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF M200..PG835..Philips Fidelio S2.... - Page 799

post #11971 of 24027
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post


Philips Fidelio X1. Which is the new go-to can for bassheads according to Dsnuts. wink.gif


Actually. When the word basshead pops up there is a stigma attached to that. Because it has bass there for it must be kinda messy sounding, not as accurate or non audiophile, more consumer.

 

I look at it the other way. Most open cans lack bass for one reason or another. Since when have you guys ever heard live music without bass? Can you guys imagine how rock would sound without bass guitars or the thump of the bass drum?. Anyone that actually love real music that says bass gets in the way of music. Sure if you have 20 dbs of bass in the phones. You go to a live concert performance be it a grand orchestra or your favorite metal band or even at a club. To me without proper bass means it is missing up to a 3rd of the total sound. That ain't music. I have never in my life ever heard a proper speaker set up without bass. Even cheapo $50 book shelf speakers have bass response..

 

It is funny to me that on these very threads. Guys prefer as little bass as possible to hear the mids and highs more. Like that is supposed to be representative of actual music? Lol. Now I know before I draw some heat from people I know there are plenty of too bass heavy phones that have nothing to do with good sound but I never understood guys that actually are supposed to be "audiophiles" that want nothing to do with bass.. I said it before and I will say it again. Music without bass is like music without highs.

 

Without either part of the sound, that ain't music to my ears. I know Tyll on his review of the X1 says they are basshead cans.They aren't. As I am getting older I am appreciating quality more so than quantity and that is what the X1s represent. Quality of the low end is absolutely crucial for a nicer sounding can. You can get all the other part of the sound correct but you mess up on my bass. Too much, too little, lacking definition, lacking deep extension and texture. Not in my house. Is it wrong to ask for good sound in all parts of the sound signature?

post #11972 of 24027

Right on Dsnuts!!

post #11973 of 24027

^ Hey Ds stop stealing my sh!Ts, that's my definition of a "Totalphile." Greedy mofos that wants it ALL and is not willing to compromise/ sacrifice any parts of the sonic spectrum for another. ksc75smile.gif Think I might have "borrowed" it from ericp or some other head-fier. Let's just say i was "inspired".wink.gif

 

Totalphiles FTW boi!!!!

post #11974 of 24027
Ahhh great thoughts Dsnuts, agreed and decreed. Haha.
Edited by Leo888 - 7/14/13 at 10:50pm
post #11975 of 24027
Never did understand the stigma behind the basshead label. I mean, bass, like every other spectrum, works together to deliver the song. Just like certain cans are basshead cans, I'm sure there are those which are "treble-head" or "high-head" cans too.

How good a can is depends on how well it can deliver. Too much treble leads to sibilance, too much bass leads to muddied overall sound delivery. So while I did say baseheand, make no mistake, I meant that in the absolute best way.
post #11976 of 24027

.....Corecool V2 v. ATH CKS-77X v. Sony XB90EX v. JVC FXD80 v. Zero Audio Basso v. ATH CKS1000.  L3000.gif

 

                                                                                  

 

Corecool V2: These have that conventional "Bass" IEM sound, meaning that they have big soudstage and big bass, both sub and mid bass. The mid bass and sub bass comes through in abundance and in their stock form there might be too much mid bass for ones liking but for true bassheads these will leave a smile on their faces for sure. Despite their abundant bass quantity, it does not bleed much into the rest of the sonic frequencies. In fact I was able to mod these to tone the mid bass down quite a bit which allowed even better clarity and separation between the lows, mids, and highs. These Corecools are no doubt bass-centric IEMs, yet the mids and highs are not lacking whatsoever. The mids are more forward than the highs which makes these a non- fatiguing listen, though I would not describe the treble as "recessed" but as simply present and adequate. 

 

ATH CKS-77X: The 77Xs is one fun sounding IEM, with big sub bass and a mild mid bass presence. Like the Corecool V2s these do not deviate from the big soundstage and big bass formula. Unlike the Corecools these 77Xs lean more towards the "audiophile bass" IEM approach in its sonic presentation. I can confidently say they have around 70 to 80% of the sound of ATH's "Solid Bass" CKS1000 flagship. Nothing really sounds recessed on the 77Xs, both the mids and highs are more forward that the Corecools, which for prolong listens can be a bit fatiguing due to their powerful forward sound. The CKS1000s and the 77Xs share a very similar sound signature and tuning but what is holding them back is simply their lack of refinement and finesse. The 77Xs tuning is not as refined as the CKS1000s due to the lack of lushness in the mids and sparkle in the treble regions. Surprisingly the 77Xs has more sub bass and mid bass quantity compared to the CKS1000s, but the quality of the sub/ mid bass on the CKS1Ks is tighter, deeper, faster and more punchy without any muddiness or boominess.

 

Sony XB90EX: This Sony IEM also share a lot of similarities with the previous two "Bass" centric phones, meaning that these also have a huge soundstage and big low end. Despite the bass emphasis on these 90EXs their overall sound is pretty balanced sounding to me, nothing sounds out of place or sticks out like a sore thumb because the overall sound is really coherent and cohesive. Maybe this is why they have a more audiophile grade sound to me despite their big bass. When compared to the Corecools and the 77Xs, the 90EXs are less "fun" which probably has to do with their more balanced presentation.  These 90EXs have great bass quality and quantity esp. the in sub bass regions, yet the mids and highs are just forward and extended enough without ever being fatiguing, therefore their entire sound gels really well.

 

JVC FXD80: The FXD80s is the most "balanced" out of this entire line up. I quoted "balanced" because it's all relative when compared to the rest of these bass giants. By no means are the FXD80s bass shy. In fact its sub bass can reach pretty low when called for without adding any mid bass which can bleed into the rest of the frequencies. Similar to other JVCs carbon nanotube IEMs/ headphones the FXD80s have lots of micro details, along with lush tight, punchy and fast bass response.  But also consistent with the rest of those single micro driver CNTs phones there is also a more "artificial" sound to these FXD80s. There is also very little to no mid bass warmth to these FXD80s, therefore they sound the most "analytical" and cold out of the entire lineup. Again I quoted "analytical" because they are not flat sounding whatsoever, but it could be considered more suitable as a monitoring type of IEM. Despite their open back design, the soundstage of these FXD80s is the smallest compared to the rest of the lineup and I would categorize their stage as medium-large in size, while the others are large to extra large.

 

Zero Audio Basso: The Bassos has a warmish bassy sound to them, but it's not overly bass heavy. There is more sub bass than mid bass, yet the minor mid bass emphasis adds that slight warmth to their sound which makes them a smoother listen compared to the rest. They also have a more light and airy sound which is pretty unique for a bass-centric IEM because it is so easy on the ears despite their big bassy sound. Unlike the Sony MH1Cs where it's almost smooth to a fault, these Bassos have great forward mids and a pretty well extended yet non-fatiguing treble. I would say these Bassos are a more suitable total and complete upgrade to the Sony MH1Cs than say the Sony XBA3s sound signature and presentation wise. Although some might still find the Bassos sound to be too smooth due to their airy and non-aggressive nature, therefore true bassheads might not be completely satisfied if one is looking for something more dynamic and in your face.

 

ATH CKS1000: These are the most refined "Bass" centric IEMs out of this entire lineup. To me the CKS1Ks sounds like a beefed up version of the Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition, meaning that every single aspect of GR07 BEs sound is amplified and is made slightly more in your face and aggressive. This can be good thing as well as a bad, because the CKS1Ks sounds more energetic and dynamic, hence it is also more fatiguing when compared to the GR07 BEs esp. for prolonged listening sessions. That is the only "negative" and I quoted "negative" because the slightly more aggressive nature of these CKS1Ks works effortlessly in grabbing your attention with its powerful nuanced sound. The highs on the CKS1Ks are well extended with lots of sparkle as well as a very forward and lush mid range without ever being harsh/bright or sibilant. The lows on these CKS1Ks reaches deep and is tight, fast, punchy without any boominess or muddiness whatsoever. This is truly an audiophile bass IEM done right, because nothing sounds recessed and everything is presented in one coherent and cohesive sound all wrapped together by a huge soundstage, which is why these sound so addictive.

 

Big THANKS to Danny and Dsnuts for allowing me to audition your lovely IEM collection. Put Your V's Up!!!

 

 

Here's an addendum to the 1st tour: 

 

NuFroce NE-700M v. Philips Fidelio S2 v. Lethal EARSUBS 5557 v. JVC FXZ200 v. VSonic VSD1 v. VSonic GR07 BE

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-onkyo-phones-pg-904-geek-dac-pg888-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/13650#post_9765146


Edited by sfwalcer - 9/3/13 at 11:50am
post #11977 of 24027

Nice comparo, might be nice to include the FXZ200 in there.

post #11978 of 24027
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post

Nice comparo, might be nice to include the FXZ200 in there.


Overcrowdedness!!! ksc75smile.gif

 

700... plus i don't feel like taking another picture. : P

post #11979 of 24027

Wouldn't need a picture, just another paragraph.

post #11980 of 24027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


Actually. When the word basshead pops up there is a stigma attached to that. Because it has bass there for it must be kinda messy sounding, not as accurate or non audiophile, more consumer.

I look at it the other way. Most open cans lack bass for one reason or another. Since when have you guys ever heard live music without bass? Can you guys imagine how rock would sound without bass guitars or the thump of the bass drum?. Anyone that actually love real music that says bass gets in the way of music. Sure if you have 20 dbs of bass in the phones. You go to a live concert performance be it a grand orchestra or your favorite metal band or even at a club. To me without proper bass means it is missing up to a 3rd of the total sound. That ain't music. I have never in my life ever heard a proper speaker set up without bass. Even cheapo $50 book shelf speakers have bass response..

It is funny to me that on these very threads. Guys prefer as little bass as possible to hear the mids and highs more. Like that is supposed to be representative of actual music? Lol. Now I know before I draw some heat from people I know there are plenty of too bass heavy phones that have nothing to do with good sound but I never understood guys that actually are supposed to be "audiophiles" that want nothing to do with bass.. I said it before and I will say it again. Music without bass is like music without highs.

Without either part of the sound, that ain't music to my ears. I know Tyll on his review of the X1 says they are basshead cans.They aren't. As I am getting older I am appreciating quality more so than quantity and that is what the X1s represent. Quality of the low end is absolutely crucial for a nicer sounding can. You can get all the other part of the sound correct but you mess up on my bass. Too much, too little, lacking definition, lacking deep extension and texture. Not in my house. Is it wrong to ask for good sound in all parts of the sound signature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

^ Hey Ds stop stealing my sh!Ts, that's my definition of a "Totalphile." Greedy mofos that wants it ALL and is not willing to compromise/ sacrifice any parts of the sonic spectrum for another. ksc75smile.gif Think I might have "borrowed" it from ericp or some other head-fier. Let's just say i was "inspired".wink.gif

Totalphiles FTW boi!!!!

Yeah there's a lot of music that isn't bass heavy... Accepella, country, live acoustic guitar, soul... The list goes on and on. I haven't heard many headphones that made bass guitars or bass drums sound bad. Bass guitars or drum don't have an over powering presence like bass in bass heavy music. Even cans as "bass light" as akg k/q 701/2 does a pretty good job at showing quantity and quality of bass guitar/drum.

I do agree that bass is important and bad bass (too little or too much) can ruin a song but while bass may take up 1/3 of the spectrum I don't think it takes up a 1/3 of songs.

For example take away bass of a song you probably could still identify the song. Take away the mids; I'm pretty sure you couldn't identify the song.

When did "audiophile" start meaning bass light? Every audiophile I know likes good bass. Now what we mean by good bass is probably different.

If I could get:
BA treble
Orthodynamic mids
Dynamic lows

All in one neat package I'd be done. But I haven't yet. Still the JH13s is the closest I've gotten to it.

If there was a mod or revision to the x1 to have replaceable pads I'd try it.
post #11981 of 24027

ould you like to know the greatest discovery that I've made? I actually prefer earbuds that came bundled with my xperia sola to my xb90ex, especially the openness of the sound. it's as detailed as xb90ex, has the same kind of deep immersive mids and good amount of sparkly (yet not offensive) highs. of course bass isn't there when directly comparing to it, but if you get used to its sound, in about 10 minutes you can start hearing it...

 

call me weird. now I'll have to look up some earbuds :/

post #11982 of 24027
Sfwalcer, after reading your review, which one would you say immerses you in the sound more, the xb90ex or the cks77x?
post #11983 of 24027
Very nice comparo sf.
post #11984 of 24027
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekeRugburn View Post



Yeah there's a lot of music that isn't bass heavy... Accepella, country, live acoustic guitar, soul... The list goes on and on. I haven't heard many headphones that made bass guitars or bass drums sound bad. Bass guitars or drum don't have an over powering presence like bass in bass heavy music. Even cans as "bass light" as akg k/q 701/2 does a pretty good job at showing quantity and quality of bass guitar/drum.

I do agree that bass is important and bad bass (too little or too much) can ruin a song but while bass may take up 1/3 of the spectrum I don't think it takes up a 1/3 of songs.

For example take away bass of a song you probably could still identify the song. Take away the mids; I'm pretty sure you couldn't identify the song.

When did "audiophile" start meaning bass light? Every audiophile I know likes good bass. Now what we mean by good bass is probably different.

If I could get:
BA treble
Orthodynamic mids
Dynamic lows

All in one neat package I'd be done. But I haven't yet. Still the JH13s is the closest I've gotten to it.

If there was a mod or revision to the x1 to have replaceable pads I'd try it.


True..I think control is key here as I love my acoustics and phones with less control will add bass to a sound that isn't supposed to be there..Those are the phones that I have issue with..Most cheapo bass heavy iems for example. Now as for the X1 the pads are excellent to begin with so not a real big deal for me. If you want an idea of how they sound you could try out the Fidelio S2 instead which are excellent as well.

post #11985 of 24027
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekeRugburn View Post



Yeah there's a lot of music that isn't bass heavy... Accepella, country, live acoustic guitar, soul... The list goes on and on. I haven't heard many headphones that made bass guitars or bass drums sound bad. Bass guitars or drum don't have an over powering presence like bass in bass heavy music. Even cans as "bass light" as akg k/q 701/2 does a pretty good job at showing quantity and quality of bass guitar/drum.

I do agree that bass is important and bad bass (too little or too much) can ruin a song but while bass may take up 1/3 of the spectrum I don't think it takes up a 1/3 of songs.

For example take away bass of a song you probably could still identify the song. Take away the mids; I'm pretty sure you couldn't identify the song.

When did "audiophile" start meaning bass light? Every audiophile I know likes good bass. Now what we mean by good bass is probably different.

If I could get:
BA treble
Orthodynamic mids
Dynamic lows

All in one neat package I'd be done. But I haven't yet. Still the JH13s is the closest I've gotten to it.

If there was a mod or revision to the x1 to have replaceable pads I'd try it.

 

We already have BA-dynamic hybrid IEMs... now someone just needs to be crazy enough to make a headphone with a ribbon tweeter, ortho mid driver, and dynamic subwoofer ;)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF M200..PG835..Philips Fidelio S2. PG 724!!