Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727. DannyBai multi phone impressions PG 1729!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727. DannyBai multi phone impressions... - Page 315

post #4711 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

Funniest thing happened.

I went back to my beloved Denon D2K's this evening after listening to the MH1c for about a week now...................................I'm selling them.

 

Sure. It's not fair comparing an iem to a full size headphone. A good one at that.

D2k's have these iems beat in soundstage and instrument separation and refinement and all that other good technical stuff.

But.

In addition to finding out that what I thought was stellar subbass on the D2k's is nothing compared to what iems can do (cuz their closer to your eardrums and all that good stuff).

In addition.

I prefer the sound signature of this MH1c (and soon to be xba-3).
 

 

Please give details on the differences that make the MH1C sound so much better than the D2K.

 

One major flaw that abundant bass headphones can have, is cave like sound, as compared to IEMs.  It is much harder to get cave like sound with abundant bass IEMs, than it is with headphones.


Edited by Alberto01 - 11/8/12 at 8:46am
post #4712 of 26203

After seeing the frequency response graph in the post linked below, I am interested in the Sony MH1/MH1C.  That is an excellent frequency profile for bass, mids and highs.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633102/budget-iems-review-4th-budget-review-sony-mh1c-posted-oh-boy#post_8805439

 

Where is the version of the MH1/MH1C without the clip or without the microphone, or without both?


Edited by Alberto01 - 11/8/12 at 8:40am
post #4713 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post

Where is the version of the MH1/MH1C without the clip or without the microphone, or without both?

it isnt sold alone. it comes with the MW1

post #4714 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post

 

 

3580 and 3680 are reported to sound exactly the same,  check Joe's thread.

 

Can you provide a link? Not sure about which thread you're talking about. Thanks.

post #4715 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus12345 View Post

can sum1 give me the ranking of the earphones below?

fxd80 xba3 fxd70 fxt90 xb90ex adagioIII ckm500 she3580 fxt90

 

We'd have to know your preferred sound and what kind of music you listen to in order to rank the effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post

 

Please give details on the differences that make the MH1C sound so much better than the D2K.

 

One major flaw that abundant bass headphones can have, is cave like sound, as compared to IEMs.  It is much harder to get cave like sound with abundant bass IEMs, than it is with headphones.

As I said. the D2K's beat it in everything except sound signature. mh1c is much closer to my preferred sound as far as the balance between subbbass, bass and mids is concerned.

But. I'm waiting to receive the xba-3 before making the final decision on selling the D2K or not.

 

And what do you mean cave like sound? If you mean openness and massive space, then yes, it is harder to get that with iems. The D2k's sound extraordinarily open. They are more focused on subbass and that was one reason I loved them. Which is why I was surprised when I moved back to them after hearing the mh1c for so long.

I'm sure my ears will readjust to the D2K. Once they do, I'll switch back to the mh1c and compare once more.


Edited by atomikn00b - 11/8/12 at 9:19am
post #4716 of 26203

The MH1C has somehow dethroned the FX40 for my favorite budget IEM. I don't know how...but they did. They don't have nearly as much instrument separation, soundstage, subbass, or dynamics. Yet, as soon as I get them in my ears it's like...."ahhhhhhhhh".

So smooth, so well balanced. Great bass kick without any perceptible midbass hump. Very comfortable in the ear. In fact, they're the first IEM's I've ever had that I could just pop into my ears without fiddling with zillions of tips or resorting to my trusty sony hybrid tips. 

My only gripe...what the hell is up with this wacky bass-ackwards j cable?

I don't know that I'd use them for critical listening though. For good critical listening I still want something with more space, more high end sparkle, and better separation.

Doesn't matter though. These are definitely my #1 headphones for daily listening.

post #4717 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaardker View Post

The MH1C has somehow dethroned the FX40 for my favorite budget IEM. I don't know how...but they did. They don't have nearly as much instrument separation, soundstage, subbass, or dynamics. Yet, as soon as I get them in my ears it's like...."ahhhhhhhhh".

So smooth, so well balanced. Great bass kick without any perceptible midbass hump. Very comfortable in the ear. In fact, they're the first IEM's I've ever had that I could just pop into my ears without fiddling with zillions of tips or resorting to my trusty sony hybrid tips. 

My only gripe...what the hell is up with this wacky bass-ackwards j cable?

I don't know that I'd use them for critical listening though. For good critical listening I still want something with more space, more high end sparkle, and better separation.

Doesn't matter though. These are definitely my #1 headphones for daily listening.


^ DAT REFINEMENT > FX40. If JVC just fine tuned the 40s a bit more, making them less bright/ harsh in the highs department, like they did with their S400s headphone, they would be truly AMAZING. But as it stands these sony MH1Cs sound much more refined and combined with that crazy smooth fun bassy sound, these owns the FX40s for general listening. Plus they sound great with almost everything, while the FX40s are really revealing and is too picky regarding the quality of your mp3 files. I agree with you that the sonys are not that suited for critical listening, but they are just pure fun. 

post #4718 of 26203
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post

 

Please give details on the differences that make the MH1C sound so much better than the D2K.

 

One major flaw that abundant bass headphones can have, is cave like sound, as compared to IEMs.  It is much harder to get cave like sound with abundant bass IEMs, than it is with headphones.

As I said. the D2K's beat it in everything except sound signature. mh1c is much closer to my preferred sound as far as the balance between subbbass, bass and mids is concerned.

But. I'm waiting to receive the xba-3 before making the final decision on selling the D2K or not.

 

And what do you mean cave like sound? If you mean openness and massive space, then yes, it is harder to get that with iems. The D2k's sound extraordinarily open. They are more focused on subbass and that was one reason I loved them. Which is why I was surprised when I moved back to them after hearing the mh1c for so long.

I'm sure my ears will readjust to the D2K. Once they do, I'll switch back to the mh1c and compare once more.

 

 

Cave like, coming from a bottle, boxy type sound, is a flaw.  It is like a lack of airiness in the sound, with a little resonance (echo), in some cases.  That is typical of closed headphones.  But, I have also perceived some of that in the Grado SR80 which are open headphones.

post #4719 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post

 

 

Cave like, coming from a bottle, boxy type sound, is a flaw.  It is like a lack of airiness in the sound, with a little resonance (echo), in some cases.  That is typical of closed headphones.  But, I have also perceived some of that in the Grado which are open headphones.

aaahh. well. The D2k's never had that problem.

The HM5's did though.

 

But just to clarify. You're saying iems sound better than headphones because headphones have that cavelike sound?

post #4720 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto01 View Post

 

 

Cave like, coming from a bottle, boxy type sound, is a flaw.  It is like a lack of airiness in the sound, with a little resonance (echo), in some cases.  That is typical of closed headphones.  But, I have also perceived some of that in the Grado which are open headphones.

aaahh. well. The D2k's never had that problem.

The HM5's did though.

 

But just to clarify. You're saying iems sound better than headphones because headphones have that cavelike sound?


If all headphones had that cave like sound, the answer would be "yes."  But, when they don't, headphones are on the advantage, because the quantity of sound coming from them is larger than with IEMs.  For me, cave like sound just ruins the sound experience, no matter how good other sound traits might be.

post #4721 of 26203

maybe you are refering to what its known as a "boxy" sound?
 

post #4722 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post

maybe you are refering to what its known as a "boxy" sound?
 

Yes, and I wrote it here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-sony-mh1c-are-for-real-pg-283-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182/4710#post_8850360

post #4723 of 26203

ok, this is a personal discovery for me. not really about iems, but still - it has something to do with them... anyways, today I was at otolaryngologist and guess what - I had some wax stuck in the depths of my ear canals ( I was digging too deep with those q-tips :D ). after removing them (not completely on the one side, it needs some softening with intensive peroxide treatment) and listening to my headphones once again, they sound even better :| I mean the amount of the was was pretty small - even the doctor noted that it wasn't quite little compared to average, but still - I can hear much more high frequency and now everything, even the darker phones are brighter... 

 

so guys and gals - don't dig too deep in ear canals and visit the doctor once in a while for cleaning - you might be surprised how much of an upgrade it will be to your average listening experience with any headphones...

post #4724 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihontoman View Post

ok, this is a personal discovery for me. not really about iems, but still - it has something to do with them... anyways, today I was at otolaryngologist and guess what - I had some wax stuck in the depths of my ear canals ( I was digging too deep with those q-tips :D ). after removing them (not completely on the one side, it needs some softening with intensive peroxide treatment) and listening to my headphones once again, they sound even better :| I mean the amount of the was was pretty small - even the doctor noted that it wasn't quite little compared to average, but still - I can hear much more high frequency and now everything, even the darker phones are brighter... 

 

so guys and gals - don't dig too deep in ear canals and visit the doctor once in a while for cleaning - you might be surprised how much of an upgrade it will be to your average listening experience with any headphones...

well, who said head-fi wasnt a health-care place ?rolleyes.gif

post #4725 of 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihontoman View Post

ok, this is a personal discovery for me. not really about iems, but still - it has something to do with them... anyways, today I was at otolaryngologist and guess what - I had some wax stuck in the depths of my ear canals ( I was digging too deep with those q-tips :D ). after removing them (not completely on the one side, it needs some softening with intensive peroxide treatment) and listening to my headphones once again, they sound even better :| I mean the amount of the was was pretty small - even the doctor noted that it wasn't quite little compared to average, but still - I can hear much more high frequency and now everything, even the darker phones are brighter... 

 

so guys and gals - don't dig too deep in ear canals and visit the doctor once in a while for cleaning - you might be surprised how much of an upgrade it will be to your average listening experience with any headphones...


Everyone here on Head-Fi should read this.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727. DannyBai multi phone impressions PG 1729!!