or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153 - Page 413

post #6181 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

You guys might want to cancel those orders if possible.

I messaged the seller who sold me the MTs to see if they can bring them back earlier today, and judging by how quickly they've responded in the past, they should reply by tomorrow.

Saves you $25 to buy Shure pads.

The Pro version looks better and has a lot better pads, so they might not need the extra cash for new pads. I don't know about dsnuts but I'm willing to pay several bucks more to mistertao and get the Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

 

mistertao.com can't accept credit card payment until Jan 26....so kind of a dead end here!  "Down for Maintenance"

I still haven't ordered, so I didn't check that - don't know about you but I could wait 4 days to save these 16-17 bucks

post #6182 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post

The Pro version looks better and has a lot better pads, so they might not need the extra cash for new pads. I don't know about dsnuts but I'm willing to pay several bucks more to mistertao and get the Pro.

I still haven't ordered, so I didn't check that - don't know about you but I could wait 4 days to save these 16-17 bucks

The MT is the newer version. The reason that the Shure pads sound so excellent is because they are almost comically oversized, completely changing the way you wear the headphone. With stock pads (and apparently the pads on the Pro too), a small part of your ear rests on the pad. With the Shure pads, your entire ear rests on the inside of the pad. It completely changes the sound (so does the extra dampening material on the back of the pads). With the black pads, the MT isn't hideous IMHO. Then again when it sounds this nice, I have a way of forgetting about aesthetics.

This isn't to say that it sounds horrible without a pad swap, but this change in wearing style really improves them for the better. It's kind of like the HA-S500 in this regard. Awesome stock, but really something else with a pad swap.


Edited by CashNotCredit - 1/21/13 at 8:06pm
post #6183 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post

Why would they have a best offer option at all...

My question exactly.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post

Where is this seller who sells (or trying to sell) 2 for the price of one? or at a discounted price?

Nobody.  I tried to buy two from the same seller to see if I could get a better price.  This ebay seller has a "make offer" option but doesn't seem to honor my max of $58 anyway.  

post #6184 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
though till mistertao receives the package and you need to check often your mistertao account when this happens, so you can make the second payment, which is the commission and the international shipping fees. 

 

What is this second payment for? Arent the shipping fees included when you purchase?

post #6185 of 32897

Well I'm on the fence about which headphones to go with, so I'm so glad that both Dsnuts and Danny are getting them. I'm interested in both the AD900X and the Somics!!!
Can't wait for a comparison!

post #6186 of 32897
Thread Starter 

I also saw a silver and black version of these cans online but for some reason I can't find anyone that sells them.  I have a bit of a theory on who these Somic guys are.. I remember looking at all their cans and they use mostly Sony housings. Even these EFis are using what seems to be a copy of a Sony DJ can. So that got me thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys used to make headphones for Sony.

 

Learn some manufacturing and go out on their own and call themselves Somic. Besides Cashs nice review on these cans what really got me to bite was the fact that the drivers in these cans seem to be the real deal. 3 years of RnD from a German sound guy that made them with some real science backing up his new developed drivers that are in these cans is a good enough reason for me to try them out.. I am very aware of sonic gems that come out of China. MP8320 was one of them and made from a company much like Somic. So I eagerly look forward to hear these for myself. I know Joe is gonna kill me for not getting his open Somics he loves. Maybe I will try those out as well but for now I will be happy if these live up to what I think might be a nice set of cans for not much money.

post #6187 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post

Well I'm on the fence about which headphones to go with, so I'm so glad that both Dsnuts and Danny are getting them. I'm interested in both the AD900X and the Somics!!!
Can't wait for a comparison!

The AD900X is probably better, but the Somic is very good. 

Both are probably better than they should be.

post #6188 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

I also saw a silver and black version of these cans online but for some reason I can't find anyone that sells them.  I have a bit of a theory on who these Somic guys are.. I remember looking at all their cans and they use mostly Sony housings. Even these EFis are using what seems to be a copy of a Sony DJ can. So that got me thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys used to make headphones for Sony.

 

Learn some manufacturing and go out on their own and call themselves Somic. Besides Cashs nice review on these cans what really got me to bite was the fact that the drivers in these cans seem to be the real deal. 3 years of RnD from a German sound guy that made them with some real science backing up his new developed drivers that are in these cans is a good enough reason for me to try them out.. I am very aware of sonic gems that come out of China. MP8320 was one of them and made from a company much like Somic. So I eagerly look forward to hear these for myself. I know Joe is gonna kill me for not getting his open Somics he loves. Maybe I will try those out as well but for now I will be happy if these live up to what I think might be a nice set of cans for not much money.

64 OHm impedence, 50mm drivers, and a 10 foot cable when extended showed me from the get-go that these weren't designed for Joe Blow to use with his iPod. I'm thinking they were designed studio monitoring use, especially with how much they leak (a lot).

Once I saw that they were researched in Germany and were being marketed with the MH439 as their "music" headphones on a Russian website, I knew these were for real.

But seriously. There's a recurring theme with Somic.
 

  • Build awesome drivers
  • Put them in weird looking enclosures
  • Give them terrible pads

 

These things need BIG pads to sound as good as they can. Think HM5, or my personal favorite, Shure SRH840. The dampening material on the back of the pad makes up for the fact that they put your ear closer to the driver, and that increase in proximity really makes the headphone sound livelier.

post #6189 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post

What is this second payment for? Arent the shipping fees included when you purchase?
no, you don't - first you pay the item price of the taobao seller + $1.6 for the shipping from the seller to mistertao. after miatertao receives the package you pay the commission and the international shipping fees and mistertao dispatches the package
post #6190 of 32897
Thread Starter 

You did see that pic of the pads on the Pro version right cash? I read online that the pro version actually uses real leather pads on them. I don't suppose your MT version had these same pads? I payed a bit more for this pro model. Just looking at those pads they included on the pros looks comfy and looks very similar to Denon/ Fostex padding.. These guys are learning..I am excited to try them out.

 

You mention they leak sound. That is actually good news. That means the design is vented or semi open.. Better stage should be the results. I have plenty of closed cans that don't have the stage of semi open or open cans.  I would rather get some venting on nice detailed drivers for the sound to be right vs being non vented.. If I don't want to leak sound in public I would just use my iems.. If proper venting means better stage resulting in better sound. I am all for it.

 

You want to talk about loud. The AD900X requires at least 100 hours of burn in. I just hope you have a dedicated room with piles of blankets to cover them with if any of you guys get them. They get LOUD when burning in. Like you can hear from one end of the house to the other end with closed doors loud. I just leave them at my place of business for burn in so it doesn't affect me..But be warned.


Edited by Dsnuts - 1/21/13 at 8:58pm
post #6191 of 32897

Damn guys, I bit/bought.......$44.25 shipped Chinapost, wait and see if the order is filled, says if not filled within 5 days the order will be cancelled.  Buyer protection, so I feel safe if they are unavailable.  They are the MT model with the red pads though.

 

I do have two pair of unused 840 pads, and HM5 pads to try!


Edited by cute - 1/21/13 at 8:53pm
post #6192 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

You did see that pic of the pads on the Pro version right cash? I read online that the pro version actually uses real leather pads on them. I don't suppose your MT version had these same pads? I payed a bit more for this pro model. Just looking at those pads they included on the pros looks comfy and looks very similar to Denon/ Fostex padding.. These guys are learning..I am excited to try them out.

 

You mention they leak sound. That is actually a good news. That means the design is vented or semi open.. Better stage should be the results. I have plenty of closed cans that don't have the stage of semi open or open cans.  I would rather get some venting on nice detailed drivers for the sound to be right vs being non vented..

The MT is newer than the PRO. If anything, they "un-learned". 

Nuts, do you really think you're going to use the stock pads? Come on. You're better than that. wink_face.gif

These things need big pads with a large opening so that your ear is fully enclosed and closer to the driver. They sound great stock, but with a big pad like the HM5 or the 840 (my personal favorite), things get pretty amazing pretty quickly.

They're vented. The soundstage is pretty big, but not in a gimmicky sort of way.

post #6193 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

Damn guys, I bit/bought.......$44.25 shipped Chinapost, wait and see if the order is filled, says if not filled within 5 days the order will be cancelled.  Buyer protection, so I feel safe if they are unavailable.  They are the MT model with the red pads though.

 

I do have two pair of unused 840 pads, and HM5 pads to try!

The 840 pads are my favorite, but you may find them a bit too bassy for your taste.

$10000000 question:

Was it the MT or the Pro?

post #6194 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

The AD900X is probably better, but the Somic is very good. 

Both are probably better than they should be.

 

Are these open back?

post #6195 of 32897
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

 

Are these open back?

The E-Fi?

Nuts and I are thinking that they're semi-open.

The ridges on the side appear to be vents.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153