or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153 - Page 1678

post #25156 of 32875
Thread Starter 


So. It has been a while since I have been deeply disappointed with an AT product..The last AT earphone I hated was the CKM55.  These CKR5s are supposed to be the new upgraded CKM500s. They look similar in design, actually look a bit roomier due to the roomier back chamber design. I had to try it out as I was so impressed with my CKR10s, CKR9s. But these..

 

I can understand the reasoning for ATs low level tuning on these as they seem to be purposefully detuning the lower end earphones so they separate the SQ from the higher end offerings. These earphones are build standard AT fare but the real disappointment comes with their sound signature..

 

Calling these weird sounding is an understatement. These are closed in earphones and sound nothing like the wide and deep CKM500..These actually have more in common with the CKS line of phones in sound.. It is yet another bass first signature with a bit of mids recession and now that I got some ample time on the burner the treble is also recessed making them sound overly warm and dank as a result.. Add a closed in sound and you get one of the worst sounding AT phones I have heard in a long time. There are some glimmers of AT magic in there but a glimmer is not going to make these a headliner on the discovery thread.

 

Sometimes AT throws a wrench in the mix and this phone is definitely a wrench..As a bass first sound signature these are average sounding at best. I did have some high expectations of these earphones as these are supposed to be an upgrade on the CKM500 but unfortunately these are far from it..

 

Singolos and the CKR9s were the real find out of the latest batch of phones I received. The CKR5s.. STAY AWAY..  

post #25157 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHeadMara View Post

Sorry I've been busy recently, just did A/B comparison between this two and I found that Singolos are better than Tenores in every aspects except soundstage. I found soundstage on Singolos is a bit more congest when compare to Tenores for example when I listened to Eric Clapton's "Old love" i found the cymbal sounds clearer and easier to detect on Tenores and when I switch to Singolos I still can hear that cymbal but I need to listen more carefully.

Bass on both phone are great both have the same depth but Tenores have a boomer bass as they are dynamic driver.

Mid on Singolos is more forward, vocal is clearer and and has more weight

Treble on Singolos is very detail and crystal clear but not as detail as Doppio or TE-05 but they are better than any under$100 phones I ever heard. Tenores also have a nice details but they are just one step down when compare to Singolos.

 

Thanks for this. Is there anything you feel the Singolo does better than the Doppio?

post #25158 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post

Thanks for this. Is there anything you feel the Singolo does better than the Doppio?

Singolos are just warmer and more musical and more fun
post #25159 of 32875

I just got my Koss ksc75 clip-ons and this is what I wrote in dedicated thread:

 

Quote:
I just got them (my first pair) and for 14$ they are just wonderful! heck, I'd say they'd be wonderful for much more. they have more base frequencies than some of the impressions led me to expect... and I'm coming from Sony XB90EX - arguably one of the bassiest (especially subbass) phones... oh and the details. god damn. holy cow. that's all I cans ay for now :D

 

I say guys, go get them! if you still have doubts as to what 15$ can bring you in terms of sound quality, these are the answer. and it is impressions out of the box.

post #25160 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHeadMara View Post


Singolos are just warmer and more musical and more fun

 

Are they similar in size (shell) to Tenores?  One thing I like about Doppios is how solid they feel in my hand in comparison to Tenore, and of course a much better strain relief with a dimple to id left side.  But they are colder and more analytical for sure.

 

Btw, since I see Singolos have the same high sensitivity as Doppios, just want to let you guys know (and I'm sure a lot of you are already aware of that), using 100 ohm impedance adapter does wonders to cut down on any background white noise if you are driving it from high gain source.  I was driving my Doppios from AP100 (only has high gain setting by default), and it was driving me crazy with high level of white noise when DAP is idle.  Using 100ohm impedance adapter to attenuate output did the trick!

post #25161 of 32875
post #25162 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Fostex TE-05 finally in stock at B&H Photo Video and Headphone.com:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029720-REG/fostex_ams_te_05_te_05_inner_ear_headphones.html

http://www.headphone.com/products/fostex-te-05

Saw that. They also have the new Westone ADV Beta for $150. They seem to be the only store to stock those. No reviews on it yet though.
post #25163 of 32875
I ordered the Fostex from them so long ago,I cancelled the order.
post #25164 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteebin View Post

Saw that. They also have the new Westone ADV Beta for $150. They seem to be the only store to stock those. No reviews on it yet though.
Headphone Bar in Canada also sells the new ADV as well.
post #25165 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post

Are they similar in size (shell) to Tenores?  One thing I like about Doppios is how solid they feel in my hand in comparison to Tenore, and of course a much better strain relief with a dimple to id left side.  But they are colder and more analytical for sure.

Btw, since I see Singolos have the same high sensitivity as Doppios, just want to let you guys know (and I'm sure a lot of you are already aware of that), using 100 ohm impedance adapter does wonders to cut down on any background white noise if you are driving it from high gain source.  I was driving my Doppios from AP100 (only has high gain setting by default), and it was driving me crazy with high level of white noise when DAP is idle.  Using 100ohm impedance adapter to attenuate output did the trick!

They are same size as Tenores but better built quality and feel more solid as they have brass component, I think they share brass nozzles with Doppio. However they don't have a dimple on left side.
post #25166 of 32875
People who love Tenores should try Fostex TE-05 with spiral dot tips, for me they are a direct upgrade from Tenores
post #25167 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHeadMara View Post

People who love Tenores should try Fostex TE-05 with spiral dot tips, for me they are a direct upgrade from Tenores

Are the sound signatures pretty close? I tend to prefer more warmth and a natural sound over absolute detail- I was thinking the TE-05 would be a good upgrade to the KC06/Tenore.
post #25168 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHeadMara View Post

People who love Tenores should try Fostex TE-05 with spiral dot tips, for me they are a direct upgrade from Tenores

 

I agree. The TE-05 is neither cold/analytical or super warm. It's somewhere in the middle. Yet, it has terrific bass (especially sub bass) for a neutral earphone and a very natural sound. And it's far more detailed than the Tenores (don't get me wrong, I like the Tenores -actually use them on my commute to work today). I think the TE-05 is overall technically better than the Tenore, but you can't go wrong with the ZA if you don't want to spend over $60.

post #25169 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

I agree. The TE-05 is neither cold/analytical or super warm. It's somewhere in the middle. Yet, it has terrific bass (especially sub bass) for a neutral earphone and a very natural sound. And it's far more detailed than the Tenores (don't get me wrong, I like the Tenores -actually use them on my commute to work today). I think the TE-05 is overall technically better than the Tenore, but you can't go wrong with the ZA if you don't want to spend over $60.

That's what I was hoping. They don't seem to be as popular as the Tenores but if they are an improvement in key areas maybe they should be! Does anyone know if they share a Fostex "house sound"?
post #25170 of 32875

How about Fostex TE-05 vs Singolo/Doppio?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153