or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153 - Page 1397

post #20941 of 32903

I'm curious on those ML headphones.  Seems to be a hit.  I had the earphones and those were just too boring but probably the flattest frequency response I've ever heard.  

post #20942 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

OK, did a quick A-B W40 (out of box) vs W4...there is definitely a family resemblance, but W40 is definitely an upgrade. Wider soundstage, more open, that is, the stage has the feel of empty space between instruments, more than W4, detail better, the "lifting of the proverbial veil" that I didn't realize was there until I compared the W4 to the 40. Neither is a bass monster, but both go really low (no bass emphasis I can hear). Both detail well, W40>W4.

That's it for now, go for the dog walk/random iPod play walk...
Having read this in the morning, was the impetus for my visit to the local store today. Unfortunately they were closing up soon so I did not get to try out the W40 again, just more NAD time.
Having said that, I do believe that Westone have been very open about these being the same, using the same driver setup, tuning, etc.

The only other report apart from a very vague post on the new W-series thread seems to be from Headfonia and they're just really off more often than not so I take what they say with a truckload of salt.

I don't want to mention anything about the new MMCX cables because I don't want to touch the cable talk with a 20-foot pole, but I do want to ask a couple of things before I go in sometime next week.
1) Are the nozzles the same size/diameter (some of the photos I've seen floating around make them look slightly larger)?
2) Are you using the same tips on both of the 4 and the 40?

The tips were not the same, and it was basically out of the box, could be I;m hallucinating/projecting my expectations, but I don't think I really had much in the way of expectations. Could matching tips make a difference? Suppose so. Could my W4's, which are a few years old, have some sort of aging in the cables that makes the W40 sound better? I suppose so. I listened to the 40's with the Westone foams, already had double flange on the W4's, but might dig up some Complys and see if I have the same impression when I put them on both. Burning the W40 now-the drivers may be the same, they make a big deal about the crossovers, and it's possible to get the same drivers to sound different changing these parameters (in fact, I believe I've read about headphones heard in pre release versions on this forum, and the voicing/sound differed from the final released version. This didn't involve major changes in drivers or other hardware, just tweaking/voicing). And, maybe I'll change my mind with more listening, that was out of the box, but, and I know they didn't have the same tips, but I didn't feel it was a subtle difference.
Edited by doctorjazz - 2/1/14 at 8:49pm
post #20943 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post
 

I'm curious on those ML headphones.  Seems to be a hit.  I had the earphones and those were just too boring but probably the flattest frequency response I've ever heard.  

The heapdhones may sound boring to you as it is also flat. The bass quantity is alright, good enough to satisfy, but you'd want to hear more of it.

 

The mids are pretty nice though, the voices sound emotional for a flat frequency, but I wish it was a bit more forward than needed, like the re700s.

 

The highs are great, it has good quality despite the grainyness. 

 

I'd say go for it to try it out. If it doesn't satisfy, you can sell and get another headphone. The re700s will be a great alternative (yeah yeah, shameless advertising, but it is warranted.)


Edited by vlenbo - 2/1/14 at 9:08pm
post #20944 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

The heapdhones may sound boring to you as it is also flat. The bass quantity is alright, good enough to satisfy, but you'd want to hear more of it.

 

The mids are pretty nice though, the voices sound emotional for a flat frequency, but I wish it was a bit more forward than needed, like the re700s.

 

The highs are great, it has good quality despite the grainyness. 

 

I'd say go for it to try it out. If it doesn't satisfy, you can sell and get another headphone. The re700s will be a great alternative.

I think I'd rather give the RE700's a try based on your impressions.  Seems to be more to my liking.  If it was over-ear, I'd be all over it.  

post #20945 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

The tips were not the same, and it was basically out of the box, could be I;m hallucinating/projecting my expectations, but I don't think I really had much in the way of expectations. Could matching tips make a difference? Suppose so. Could my W4's, which are a few years old, have some sort of aging in the cables that makes the W40 sound better? I suppose so. I listened to the 40's with the Westone foams, already had double flange on the W4's, but might dig up some Complys and see if I have the same impression when I put them on both. Burning the W40 now-the drivers may be the same, they make a big deal about the crossovers, and it's possible to get the same drivers to sound different changing these parameters (in fact, I believe I've read about headphones heard in pre release versions on this forum, and the voicing/sound differed from the final released version. This didn't involve major changes in drivers or other hardware, just tweaking/voicing). And, maybe I'll change my mind with more listening, that was out of the box, but, and I know they didn't have the same tips, but I didn't feel it was a subtle difference.

Since what you were describing was something that a tip change wouldn't fully account for (better across the board) I might not even been sure that it would be that. Don't get me wrong I'm actually more inclined to believe you at this point since there's not a lot of direct comparisons between the two being done and it might be something along the lines of the SE535 vs LTD where they changed the filters/dampers, and maybe Westone isn't acknowledging that or doesn't think it makes much of a impactful difference.

 

Keep up the impressions, I'm sure many here are very curious as am I.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

Lol! I'd be wearing them at home anyway, so the goofy looking headband wouldn't really matter to me. Comfort and SQ would be key, and it seems that the HP50's deliver on both fronts.

 

You gonna get'em?

Don't peer-pressure me, way too close. Sure there's some spare funds lying around but should really spend that on important things like food and shelter.

 

But yeah, not Momentum-soft cups, but pretty darned good. I'm curious as to how these will line up with the ADs and the likes.

 

As a certain idiot we're all too familiar with would say, HYPED BOI HYPE...D!!@?!!

post #20946 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

It's the best $200 and change you'll ever spend on audio Wayne. More people need to jump on these.

Disclaimer: don't kill me if it doesn't work out.

^

G44... ;)

 

ekey boi has forsaken me!!! :tongue_smile:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Sorry that the bald head distracted you from my point. Please allow me to try again... :)

 

 

+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post
 

Well I tried them again and they are definitely fine in terms of comfort. Hope you learn next time to never include a bald man in your posts.

^ ehhh alls i see is dat SEXCEE SQUARE. : P

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

                                                                                          ....OMG OMG OMG DATS PERFECT FIT FOR ME. LIKE A GLOVE!!! :jecklinsmile:

..... a square headband seriously??? :rolleyes: The hell were they thinking. LMAO

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

Oh trust me, I had an incentive to buy the Heaven V over the mikros, but I had a different agenda.

 

The guys at the mikros thread loved them very much, so I was curious to hear what the craze was.

 

Once I got them, the price is totally justified, but the re700s, which I believe more people should jump on as well, deserves its spotlight as well. 

 

I definitely feel you danny, and I bet there will be a good load of people that have gotten the heavens based on your impressions, they're just not posting. :etysmile:

 

For sure, this is the first earphone I'll buy, even if the JVCS come out.

 

+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post
 

I'm curious on those ML headphones.  Seems to be a hit.  I had the earphones and those were just too boring but probably the flattest frequency response I've ever heard.  

 

^ Welp they are FINALLY coming in on Monday for me and just got a V-Moda aftermarket cable as well since the stock one isn't the best it seems. Will hear what all that Martin Logan Hype is all about real soon.

 

Anywho i think this lil' VentureCraft amp deserves some "Discovery" love cuz i hook all my ipods on them and these got some SERIOUS clean juice flowing outta' them now. With my crappy ipod nano 4th gen mounted on that amp they can even drive the Philips X1s not just to loud enough volumes but adequately as well. Not as powerful as say the Fiio E17s but the amp output is a lot less warm and much more clean without being flat/ boring.

 

The best part is they are on sale now on amazon for only $15 bones!!! Damn it i paid $20 for both of my new sets GRRR!!! :mad:

So if you have some old ipods around with the 30 pin connector it brings that weak sauce internal amp up to audiophile class boi!!!

 

GO GO GO DAC!!!

 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Go-Dap&node=172282

 

^ Had to sand the black set down with a nail filer in order to fit my fat @ss 5th ipod classic on it. LMAO :ph34r: 

 

edit: haha this is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better idea tbh. : P

 

 

... i need dat adapter ASAP!!!


Edited by sfwalcer - 2/1/14 at 9:17pm
post #20947 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

 

^ Welp they are FINALLY coming in on Monday for me and just got a V-Moda aftermarket cable as well since the stock one isn't the best it seems. Will hear what all that Martin Logan Hype is all about real soon.

 

 

You'll be disappointed with the amount of detail you hear with instruments and vocals. Just saying. :evil: 

 

@DannyBai 

To be honest, the re700s would have been better over ear, but it's good that its on ear too.

post #20948 of 32903
Lulz. Glad people are finally comin around on FAD. Really under rated brand in these parts. I personally feel that there are severely diminishing returns to be had moving beyond something like the Heaven C/S, which typically clock in at the $200-ish mark. I know the V is pretty similar to the VI, which is one of my all time fave phones
post #20949 of 32903
I hadn't looked at the other posts on the W4 and W40, but Westone does in fact claim better soung on the W40 and the series (in a few places, I'll post a short interview w/Tyll where he says they thought they could get even better sound, and they believe they did (paraphrasing). Looking at the Head-Fi posts, not one actually says they listened to both and found they were identical, it's always, "I heard..." and "they probably just made cosmetic changes...", stuff along those lines, so, I may change my initial impressions (buI'd be surprised if they completely about face-possible, but doesn't seem likely). If I hear it different trying to control for tips and all, I'll say so. (I have the 4's-haven't heard the 4r's...the buzz on them was that they were similar to the 4's, but maybe they are closer to the 40 than the 4's are, don't know from my own experience, but the changes with the cable do make it closer mechanically).
Here's the post-he doesn't say, "It's a day and night improvement over the W4's, you won't even know they were the same basic component). the claims are modest, but there. Listen



and this, again, claims improvement (of course, ads ALWAYS do, but...)
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/WESTONE-INTRODUCES-THE-ALL-NEW-W-SERIES-EARPHONES--DESIGNED-FOR-MUSIC-LOVERS-AND-AUDIOPHILES.html?soid=1102655398472&aid=MsTDtW43mx4
Edited by doctorjazz - 2/1/14 at 9:23pm
post #20950 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

Lulz. Glad people are finally comin around on FAD. Really under rated brand in these parts. I personally feel that there are severely diminishing returns to be had moving beyond something like the Heaven C/S, which typically clock in at the $200-ish mark. I know the V is pretty similar to the VI, which is one of my all time fave phones

I grabbed the VI just to hear how much better it is over the V.  Can you tell me what you feel about the Kuro compared to the FAD's.  I've heard the SUI and loved it but it was a tad peaky at higher volumes.  I'm curious if the Kuro is tamer in treble.  I had no problems with the bass of the Sui but if the there's a tad more on the Kuro, I'll be happy.  

post #20951 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

Lulz. Glad people are finally comin around on FAD. Really under rated brand in these parts. I personally feel that there are severely diminishing returns to be had moving beyond something like the Heaven C/S, which typically clock in at the $200-ish mark. I know the V is pretty similar to the VI, which is one of my all time fave phones

What are you talking about. Can't become a popular Head-Fier if you don't wax poetic about FAD these days. You freaks have no shortages of rabid fans for your niche product within a niche product.
 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

In fact, seems like with all this waxing, people seem to be turned away from the II, which seem to be conventionally promising, and that seems to be a huge loss for the majority non-freak population. Seems to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
^ ehhh alls i see is dat SEXCEE SQUARE. : P

A huge turn-off for the rest of us.

post #20952 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Sorry that the bald head distracted you from my point. Please allow me to try again... :)

 

 

+

+

^ ehhh alls i see is dat SEXCEE SQUARE. : P

 

Looks like the perfect fit!

post #20953 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post
 

I can't take them out of my ears since I bought them.  When I switch to other earphones, I go back to them and you know the gears I have.  They are remarkable.  Does that justify it?  :veryevil:

 

You got them BE's so really no need but they are very good.  Maybe you should have a listen?  

 

 

I thought we were friends, DannyBai? :confused_face:

 

 

 

lol

post #20954 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

I hadn't looked at the other posts on the W4 and W40, but Westone does in fact claim better soung on the W40 and the series (in a few places, I'll post a short interview w/Tyll where he says they thought they could get even better sound, and they believe they did (paraphrasing). Looking at the Head-Fi posts, not one actually says they listened to both and found they were identical, it's always, "I heard..." and "they probably just made cosmetic changes...", stuff along those lines, so, I may change my initial impressions (buI'd be surprised if they completely about face-possible, but doesn't seem likely). If I hear it different trying to control for tips and all, I'll say so. (I have the 4's-haven't heard the 4r's...the buzz on them was that they were similar to the 4's, but maybe they are closer to the 40 than the 4's are, don't know from my own experience, but the changes with the cable do make it closer mechanically).
Here's the post-he doesn't say, "It's a day and night improvement over the W4's, you won't even know they were the same basic component). the claims are modest, but there. Listen

I can't help but think that they must have misspoken during then and was surprised that they didn't take that back. From the emails that seem to be exchanged between Westone and a couple other Head-Fiers I think the official line is that the changes are only cosmetic, and I do believe that was mentioned on the thread. Some varying opinions within the company, or maybe someone might want to make an email to a Westone representative that's not CS/PR-only.

 

The 4Rs and the 4s, only a few would ever debate the difference in sound between the two, and they would usually be shot down. Having tried the R extensively multiple, times because of this notion being perpetuated, I cannot in good conscience agree with them. They are so ridiculously similar any difference should and would be chalked up to typical unit variance like any other IEM. I can't help but shake my head when others mention that on other threads. But the floor (like I said in my previous post I'm more inclined to believe you) is open in regards to the W40s, exactly.

post #20955 of 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

You'll be disappointed with the amount of detail you hear with instruments and vocals. Just saying. :evil: 

 

@DannyBai 

To be honest, the re700s would have been better over ear, but it's good that its on ear too.

 

That's surprising. I was getting the impression from the pata-hypster that the amount of detail was out of the stratosphere. Maybe I read it wrong?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153