- 3,517 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Lenexa, KS
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productJVC HA-FX101tagged by System, 6/19/12
- productJVC HA-FX40-B Earphone - KV6902tagged by System, 6/19/12
- productPhilips SHE3580/28 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/29/12
- productPhilips SHE9700tagged by System, 1/7/12
- productPioneer DJE-1500-K Professional DJ In-Ear Headphonestagged by joe, 8/6/14
- productSony MH1 Livesound Hi-Fi Stereo In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/29/12
- productThermaltake, In-ear Headsettagged by System, 12/31/11
- productVSONIC VC1000tagged by YOT, 6/26/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sturdy budget earphones, best bang for the buck? (Mostly for text) Last post on 9/26/12 at 5:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club.. Last post on 11/18/16 at 2:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Does it make sense to buy IEM's that match the DAC? Last post on 7/21/13 at 4:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- GR02 vs GR99 vs GR04 vs MH1C Last post on 11/4/12 at 3:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153 - Page 1387
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I just received my Xiaomi Pistons from Inshoes and they sound terrible. They also match some of the pictures of the fakes (page 1378). Hopefully I can get a full refund.
Edited by jbsteeves - 1/30/14 at 7:28pm
Wait till you hear my comparo of the at a900x against the re700s against the es700s. Tomorrow will be martin logan's headphone day with me and comparo.
I would rate the AX35 over the Pistons, more body and a better lower end. The cable is very good and definitely a winner for the AX35.
AX35 wins this round.
Hey Danny, I've been considering getting the HE-560 in the future, so I'm just wondering what you think about your HE-500. I know there's a lot of impressions but I just wanted to hear yours since I'm more familiar with your tastes after following the discovery thread for so long haha.
NP, really looking forward to how it opens up with burn-in. The only thing I dislike so far is that it has the airy distance of an open headphone. Obviously not full on because it's only semi-open, but it's definitely there. Listening to JT's Pusher Love Girl just demonstrates how butter smooth the mid-range is and the song really works with how the bass is set up. For my final review I'll probably also include how it preforms with games because I think the sound stage would really work well with FPSers.
Initial Impressions SWF Style! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sauce: Y400 & Nexus 5 w/ FireyeDA via OTG
Music Selection: Evah thing mang
So, as I mentioned before, I bought these things off the Amazon Warehouse in "Like New" condition for around $40 bucks. For this price they are not: a steal, a bang for buck headphone, or a diamond in the rough. What are they? They're an absolute gold mine. I'm not sure what accessories come with the full packaging but I received a 1/4 inch adapter and the headphones. If that's all that comes with it for the regular packaging I can say that Fostex instead spent their money on sound quality. Another thing is that the TH-7BB won't be winning any design awards, nor will they be participating in head-fi's "Best Build Quality" category. The headphones are extremely light weight and the plastic makes them feel like they could break at any moment. On a positive note I do love when my headphones come in a matte black finish, they capture the semi-open look seamlessly, and the light weight makes them extremely enjoyable on the head. The clamping force is almost non-existent. Instead they sit on your head like pillows. The stock pads are semi comfortable, but--as they can be removed--they can probably be swapped with some other circular pads.
I've only had the opportunity to try a modded version of the T50RP a handful of times but what always captured me was how the treble just sung beautifully. I mean they managed to create an extension that was just far enough to be a smidgen oven sparkly but not enough to cause shrills or sibilance. The TH7-BB has that same signature treble. Not nearly as extended or as detailed, but still crisp as a piece of KFC chicken straight out of the oil.
I've been reading reviews that stated the mid-range was neither recessed or forward and for the most part I disagree. I feel like the vocals are slightly forward. Specifically I feel upper mid-range and female voices are more pronounced then the lower frequencies; while male vocals seem to be on a balanced level. I found this most prominent in songs by Florence & The Machine. Florence who has the vocal range of a Greek goddess was able to show me which parts of the mid-range I thought were more... shallow (for lack of a better word). This is, however, ever so slight and only plays up the intimate balance of the spectrum. The mid-range is also one of the smoothest that I've ever heard. The whole spectrum is sort-of laid-back. Not to the extent of the Momentum or L1--I wouldn't say the spectrum is dark--but it is pretty easy going.
Here is where things start to drop off. (bass drop, I kill me) The Mid-Bass is moderately recessed from the rest of the spectrum and can cause kicks to sound flabby. This means that bass can lack that punch that would normally benefit certain genres. It's not so bad that one couldn't listen to it, but if you're a bassist lover I would look somewhere else because it can get a bit muddy. SUB-BASS: RUMBLE RUMBLE WUT WUT. That is the best way to describe the sub-bass on the TH-7BB. These things dig just as deep as the Philip L1s. Even though the mid-bass sounds recessed dubstep and electro will actually sound really good because of the rumble effect caused when drops happen. Actually, I prefer the recessed because it creates a sort of pretend 3Dness when it comes to vocal electronica.
This is a semi-open headphone so you can expect the sound to be a bit airy, but it also gets the added benefit of a larger than average sound stage. The instrument separation is probably the best that I've heard for something under $100. This little guy can easily hang with the Philip L1, V-Moda M80, MDR-1R, ETC. He inherits a lot of traits from his older brothers in the RP line while being lighter and easier to drive. A mini T50rp? I don't know about that. I think the TH7-BB has a few tricks of it's own. I'm expecting the mid-bass to tighten up and the highs to become a bit smoother and open with burn-in.
My verdict? For >$80 USD
Nice impressions Vain III... and that's even in spite of them being SFW style!
Man, are you ever getting me hyped for the awesomely modded T50RP's that are in my pipeline!
Looking forward to it...be checking it out tomorrow.
Vain, nice write up...
Yes, and Steve from CNET (who loves Hifiman) said they sound better.
Normally you can't trust reviewers, but he's a good guy.
But now, internet is on (man, it was like living in the 80's past 2 days), so.....I'M BACK!!!!
(guitar lovers, dig this from Central Africa Republic, must be late 70's-early 80's
- The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 25 seconds ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp / DAC 40 seconds ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 2 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 3 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear