or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153 - Page 1257

post #18841 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post

Ok now I have to edit a characteristic of the Piston I just observed from more source experimentation. ThatBeatsGuy tipped me off with a comment he made earlier. The Piston DONT SYNERGIZE well with AMPS. Listening to the Piston through the Sansa Fuze without the amp, they sound vibrant, clear, and controlled, as opposed to grainy and bass flabby when amped. So unamped with the Sansa, Sony, and iPod, they really sing. Just such a balanced and dynamic sound. So engaging and forward. The X3 has a built in amp, so they suffer while going through the X3. The OM Audio, UE 700, and Trumpets don't have such issues with the X3. They love it and the X3 loves them. Just a little something for those of you with Piston 2.0 and amps.

 

I've been listening to mine through the E12 + Zune 120, and I find the synergy quite awesome. On that note, I tested the Pistons in a loud environment where I needed the volume up quite a bit more. Unlike other $20 IEMs I've used, these Pistons can handle louder volumes with nearly no harshness at all. So many good things about this IEM!


Edited by 1ofamillion - 1/13/14 at 6:25am
post #18842 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

I know this is the discovery thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help out regarding my equipment (I trust the opinion of a lot of people in here). Now I currently use a Xonar DG on my PC to listen to music and whatnot but I want something better. I was looking at the Xonar STX but found that it wouldn't give good results with lower impedance gear with it having a high output impedance so I was just wondering if there was any recommendations for a small amp/DAC that can power say 16-32Ω IEMs as well as ~250Ω headphones? Now I know I'm using it on my desktop PC but I'd prefer something with a smaller footprint. 

 

I can go up to about £150 GBP, maybe a little more if something's really worth the extra. Any ideas?

Any ideas guys?

post #18843 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

I know this is the discovery thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help out regarding my equipment (I trust the opinion of a lot of people in here). Now I currently use a Xonar DG on my PC to listen to music and whatnot but I want something better. I was looking at the Xonar STX but found that it wouldn't give good results with lower impedance gear with it having a high output impedance so I was just wondering if there was any recommendations for a small amp/DAC that can power say 16-32Ω IEMs as well as ~250Ω headphones? Now I know I'm using it on my desktop PC but I'd prefer something with a smaller footprint. 

 

I can go up to about £150 GBP, maybe a little more if something's really worth the extra. Any ideas?

Any ideas guys?


Perhaps a FiiO X3 would suffice?


Sent from my baked potato
post #18844 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post

Any ideas guys?

It's not out yet but the Light Harmonic Geek has been getting a lot of good praise from audio show impressions and should fall into that range, and is pretty small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Andreas View Post

Sent from my baked potato

Lol
post #18845 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post




It's not out yet but the Light Harmonic Geek has been getting a lot of good praise from audio show impressions and should fall into that range, and is pretty small.
Lol

Yeah I was looking at the Geek. 

 

Also decided against getting the DN-1000s for now until the Pistons turn up. I love the reviews of the sound of the DN1K but I think the weight would be a bit of an issue for me unfortunately.

post #18846 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post

Any ideas guys?

looks like you are looking for just HP amp? I would say fiio E12. But also E17 since it has wolfson dac.........both are budget kings but powerful. E18 another DAC/AMP combo for mobile as well.
post #18847 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


*waits for Kova to turn up*

LOL Yeah, you know it. Btw, I auditioned the C5 and it is pretty good for the price but I expected it to be a bit more neutral. 

As far as the BH, I'm still using it and as it pairs well with the s500 I have more than 4000 hours with both either from the C3 or the Hifimediy Sabre DAC, so I have probably spent more time with the BH than most of the people praising it combined. With that said I still find it lacking in the low end and it makes pretty much everything sound softer on the impact and a bit hollow in that department even on high gain. And I still consider its bass boost pretty useless adding a bit of rumble but not improving the impact, thickness and control aside from also adding air on top. Yeah, it can sound pretty good but it's not the most versatile amp unless you're using it with bass heavy iems or headphones.

post #18848 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

I know this is the discovery thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help out regarding my equipment (I trust the opinion of a lot of people in here). Now I currently use a Xonar DG on my PC to listen to music and whatnot but I want something better. I was looking at the Xonar STX but found that it wouldn't give good results with lower impedance gear with it having a high output impedance so I was just wondering if there was any recommendations for a small amp/DAC that can power say 16-32Ω IEMs as well as ~250Ω headphones? Now I know I'm using it on my desktop PC but I'd prefer something with a smaller footprint. 

 

I can go up to about £150 GBP, maybe a little more if something's really worth the extra. Any ideas?

Any ideas guys?

 

The Hifimediy Sabre DAC drives HE-400 to a listenable volume, I think it may do well with 250Ω headphones.

post #18849 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

Any ideas guys?

 

 

d00d

Schiit Magni/Modi or Vali/Modi

Done!

post #18850 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

Any ideas guys?

ALO Audio Island?

post #18851 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post

LOL Yeah, you know it. Btw, I auditioned the C5 and it is pretty good for the price but I expected it to be a bit more neutral. 
As far as the BH, I'm still using it and as it pairs well with the s500 I have more than 4000 hours with both either from the C3 or the Hifimediy Sabre DAC, so I have probably spent more time with the BH than most of the people praising it combined. With that said I still find it lacking in the low end and it makes pretty much everything sound softer on the impact and a bit hollow in that department even on high gain. And I still consider its bass boost pretty useless adding a bit of rumble but not improving the impact, thickness and control aside from also adding air on top. Yeah, it can sound pretty good but it's not the most versatile amp unless you're using it with bass heavy iems or headphones.

Haha, 4000 hours is quite an achievement. Can't believe you counted them all!

Yeah BH is ok, I do hear somethings similar to you like softness, I don't find the bass boost as bad as you say. I've kind of recently moved on from BH, you can see it down there in my profile for sale. It's a fun amp though one has to admit the size, switches are great for mucking around. It made me happy for a long time that amp. It's all about JDS C421 now Kova baby! Bring on 2014. Taken my ER4S to a new level.
post #18852 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Haha, 4000 hours is quite an achievement. Can't believe you counted them all!

Yeah BH is ok, I do hear somethings similar to you like softness, I don't find the bass boost as bad as you say. I've kind of recently moved on from BH, you can see it down there in my profile for sale. It's a fun amp though one has to admit the size, switches are great for mucking around. It made me happy for a long time that amp. It's all about JDS C421 now Kova baby! Bring on 2014. Taken my ER4S to a new level.

Yeah, I guess if one can get hold of a c421 with the lowered output impedance and AD8620 it will be pretty good and more neutral. I think I'll just wait for the fiio x5 as the Noble 4 doesn't really need an amp and doesn't really need a warmer source or bass boost like the er4s. It just sounds good even straight from the C3 coz it's pretty easy to drive.

post #18853 of 32862

     Damn, my question on the amp really brought up a debate here. I guess I have to apologize for starting another fight here, so yeah, sorry if I started a debate that spanned over two pages. Both the BH and the E11 are really, really great choices, though like IEMagnet said, "they are the better deal." The price for the E11 is basically universal throughout Taobao and TMall (358 RMB, or about $60), while both the E12 and the BH are more than twice that (798 RMB, or about $130). Hmm...if I had a budget of 800 RMB, I'd be able to buy either one E12 or BH2,  or the E11 and an earphone or two (B3 and Moxpad), so I guess I have to agree with IEMagnet.

     Still, there's no denying the fact that the E12 and the BH2 are really good choices as well. I've been smitten with the BH since it's got this phenomenal battery life, and (I just noticed after reading back on the debate) two outputs, which are pretty much perfect for reviewing purposes. The E12 looks like a good choice since I read that it's also really, really powerful (though I'm not sure to what extent). But anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, and sorry again for the scuffle I caused.

post #18854 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

... The price for the E11 is basically universal throughout Taobao and TMall (358 RMB, or about $60), while both the E12 and the BH are more than twice that (798 RMB, or about $130).

...

BH2 is 98$ only:
http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/c-c-bh2-portable-headphone-amplifier-battery-amplifier.html

post #18855 of 32862

Oh yeah...I believe I forgot about that. Heh. Same price on Taobao actually...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153