or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153 - Page 1187

post #17791 of 32862
An amp would be a good investment not just for the B3, but for headphones and picky earphones in general.

Do you need a portable amp or a desktop type? Android or iPhone?

Fiio makes nice little affordable amp/DACs. I'd research amps and save up for one if you really want to dig deeper into being an audio nut.

It'll be tough since you're younger than most of us, but an amp helps power hungry headphones/earphones and brings the most out of them.

Or just get the non pro B3. It should run off anything. Can't guarantee it'll sound as good though.
post #17792 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

An amp would be a good investment not just for the B3, but for headphones and picky earphones in general.

Do you need a portable amp or a desktop type? Android or iPhone?

Fiio makes nice little affordable amp/DACs. I'd research amps and save up for one if you really want to dig deeper into being an audio nut.

It'll be tough since you're younger than most of us, but an amp helps power hungry headphones/earphones and brings the most out of them.

     Actually, I do know that buying an amp is a really good long-term investment. Also, I know how an amp really brings out the true sound of headphones even at low volumes. But with more powerful portable amps on the rise, I'm having trouble choosing. I'd like to get the E18 'Kunlun,' or get the E07+E11K desktop+portable amp/dac combo. It's a really tough pick, and a pretty expensive one too. My dad has a Yamaha 5.1 reciever/amp, but not sure if it's good for headphones.

     I really like listening to my music from both my desktop and my iPod, so getting either portable or desktop is the tricky part. The E18 is designed to be an all-around amp, able to be used even with a computer. However, the E07+E11K is a really neat combo. The E07 is a portable amp and DAC, while the E11 is a desktop amp. You could attach the E07 into the E11 and use its DAC for a total desktop combo. However, it's slightly more expensive than the E18 (combo is just above 1k RMB, E18 is just under). Got any advice?

Quote:
 Or just get the non pro B3. It should run off anything. Can't guarantee it'll sound as good though.

This might be okay, but I'm not sure yet. I think I'll focus on getting the amp ASAP.

post #17793 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

     Actually, I do know that buying an amp is a really good long-term investment. Also, I know how an amp really brings out the true sound of headphones even at low volumes. But with more powerful portable amps on the rise, I'm having trouble choosing. I'd like to get the E18 'Kunlun,' or get the E07+E11K desktop+portable amp/dac combo. It's a really tough pick, and a pretty expensive one too. My dad has a Yamaha 5.1 reciever/amp, but not sure if it's good for headphones.

     I really like listening to my music from both my desktop and my iPod, so getting either portable or desktop is the tricky part. The E18 is designed to be an all-around amp, able to be used even with a computer. However, the E07+E11K is a really neat combo. The E07 is a portable amp and DAC, while the E11 is a desktop amp. You could attach the E07 into the E11 and use its DAC for a total desktop combo. However, it's slightly more expensive than the E18 (combo is just above 1k RMB, E18 is just under). Got any advice?

This might be okay, but I'm not sure yet. I think I'll focus on getting the amp ASAP.

My advice is to buy the FiiO E11 amp, which is a great all-around budget amp that works as a portable and a computer amp, has a great bass boost option/gain option, and has very little to no noise/hiss. It's been essential to my travels and listening enjoyment for a year now. You can't go wrong with it, and it's only about $50.00 online. 

post #17794 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

My advice is to buy the FiiO E11 amp, which is a great all-around budget amp that works as a portable and a computer amp, has a great bass boost option/gain option, and has very little to no noise/hiss. It's been essential to my travels and listening enjoyment for a year now. You can't go wrong with it, and it's only about $50.00 online. 

Really...

I guess I'm really unlucky now, ain't I? Strange how FiiO is made in China, yet sells for more than in the US. Still, a measly $10 isn't much of a difference.

However, I'm heard reports of the volume wheel being rather loose and can lead to an accidental volume increase...so I'm kinda iffy there. 

I'd still want the E18 though.

post #17795 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

Really...

I guess I'm really unlucky now, ain't I? Strange how FiiO is made in China, yet sells for more than in the US. Still, a measly $10 isn't much of a difference.

However, I'm heard reports of the volume wheel being rather loose and can lead to an accidental volume increase...so I'm kinda iffy there. 

I'd still want the E18 though.

A year and I've NEVER had any issues with the wheel. It stays in place and never moves unless I want it to, but hey, can't go wrong with the E18 either I suppose.

post #17796 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

A year and I've NEVER had any issues with the wheel. It stays in place and never moves unless I want it to, but hey, can't go wrong with the E18 either I suppose.

Hmm...the E11 is only an amp, right? The E18 that I mentioned is an Amp/DAC. Doesn't make the E11 less enticing though. I'd like to buy it, but no money atm, sadly.

 

 

But after seeing the pictures, I never realized it was THAT small. Okay, now I really want it.

post #17797 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

Hmm...the E11 is only an amp, right? The E18 that I mentioned is an Amp/DAC. Doesn't make the E11 less enticing though. I'd like to buy it, but no money atm, sadly.

 

 

But after seeing the pictures, I never realized it was THAT small. Okay, now I really want it.

Oh it's small and compact. Slightly larger than my Sansa+. Not sure a DAC is much better, unless it's a DAP. DAC doesn't present much difference over a amp. 

post #17798 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

Oh it's small and compact. Slightly larger than my Sansa+. Not sure a DAC is much better, unless it's a DAP. DAC doesn't present much difference over a amp. 

 

 

could you please elaborate?

post #17799 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihontoman View Post
 

 

 

could you please elaborate?

   Yes, please do. To my knowledge, a DAC performs a function different from that of an amp. A DAC changes the output signal from digital to analog (probably to reduce noise or something like that, I forgot), while an amp just provides more power to the headphone's current and also amplifies it. 

post #17800 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

   Yes, please do. To my knowledge, a DAC performs a function different from that of an amp. A DAC changes the output signal from digital to analog (probably to reduce noise or something like that, I forgot), while an amp just provides more power to the headphone's current and also amplifies it. 

That is correct. 

post #17801 of 32862

I found a nice comfortable way to wear my KEF M200, and I'm absolutely loving the amazingly smooth sound coming from these gems. Fit is not an issue, and once I looked online and got some pointers on comfort, I'm so glad I pulled these from the market. The more they burn in, the better they get and the more details I hear coming out of my songs. 

post #17802 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

That is correct. 

   Then why doesn't a DAC have much of a difference over an amp then? It doesn't seem to make sense. The main purpose of buying a DAC is because most phones and non-audiophile DAPs have inferior DACs, therefore a better DAC is used to convert the signal in its [phone DAC] stead, which makes for an improved listening experience. So in all fairness, unless you have an audiophile DAP which in my opinion might be a little more hassle than just using your phone (which you already got used to), a DAC/Amp combo isn't a bad idea.

post #17803 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

   Then why doesn't a DAC have much of a difference over an amp then? It doesn't seem to make sense. The main purpose of buying a DAC is because most phones and non-audiophile DAPs have inferior DACs, therefore a better DAC is used to convert the signal in its [phone DAC] stead, which makes for an improved listening experience. So in all fairness, unless you have an audiophile DAP which in my opinion might be a little more hassle than just using your phone (which you already got used to), a DAC/Amp combo isn't a bad idea.

If you wish spending more money for very little different then yes. That's what i was getting at. The output of your iphone/phone or Sansa or iRiver or whatever is sufficient enough, and in most cases "audiophile" enough to provide a great listening experience with an amp. A dedicated DAC being a bit overkill, unless you want it and don't care paying for it. if not, then more power to you. 

post #17804 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

If you wish spending more money for very little different then yes. That's what i was getting at. The output of your iphone/phone or Sansa or iRiver or whatever is sufficient enough, and in most cases "audiophile" enough to provide a great listening experience with an amp. A dedicated DAC being a bit overkill, unless you want it and don't care paying for it. if not, then more power to you. 

   Ah, so that's what you meant. My apologies. Well, we are the Discovery Thread; we find all types of stuff which are both great and cheap. Reading your post again, I see your point more clearly. I guess one doesn't really need a dedicated DAC unless you really go that far. That being said, we Discoverers do not go that far. (How far is too far though? :p) Thanks for your insight.

post #17805 of 32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

   Ah, so that's what you meant. My apologies. Well, we are the Discovery Thread; we find all types of stuff which are both great and cheap. Reading your post again, I see your point more clearly. I guess one doesn't really need a dedicated DAC unless you really go that far. That being said, we Discoverers do not go that far. (How far is too far though? :p) Thanks for your insight.

no problem. It's these discovery threads that's brought me my KEF's, my soon to be arriving Samsung's, my SHE3580's, and my VSonics, so I know exactly what you mean. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153