- 8,324 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: usa,florida,boca raton.
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productJVC HA-FX101tagged by System, 6/19/12
- productJVC HA-FX40-B Earphone - KV6902tagged by System, 6/19/12
- productPhilips SHE3580/28 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/29/12
- productPhilips SHE9700tagged by System, 1/7/12
- productPioneer DJE-1500-K Professional DJ In-Ear Headphonestagged by joe, 8/6/14
- productSony MH1 Livesound Hi-Fi Stereo In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/29/12
- productThermaltake, In-ear Headsettagged by System, 12/31/11
- productVSONIC VC1000tagged by YOT, 6/26/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sturdy budget earphones, best bang for the buck? (Mostly for text) Last post on 9/26/12 at 5:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club.. Last post on 2/10/17 at 10:15pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Does it make sense to buy IEM's that match the DAC? Last post on 7/21/13 at 4:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- GR02 vs GR99 vs GR04 vs MH1C Last post on 11/4/12 at 3:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Want something a bit better sounding than your cell phone, with the ability to carry your whole lossless music collection? Enter, Sony Walkman NW-A35. This new release from Sony features five...
The discovery thread.! New Elecom EHP-CH1010 iem impression by Jant71. Page 2207. - Page 1180
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Edit > you sure you got the original ones? And where did you order them? Btw if a note saying that this model( golden) is the updated version of the regular pistons would've been little informative........to those who are little/ not known of pistons
Edited by Shawn71 - 12/22/13 at 6:52am
Thanks thatBeatsguy, great review. Those pistons look promising, do you mnd telling us where and how did you get them?? Would it be to much to ask if you get one for me?
You asked for it, and you will have it in a few: three-way comparison of the XBA-H3, AS-2 (although I've heard the ASG-2 and spent a lot of time with it, I actually own the custom version AS-2 with no adjustable bass. The signature of the two Aurisonics are very similar, with AS-2 being slightly better to my ears due to custom fit), and the Cardas. I will have this posted in a little while - quick impressions.
So here are my initial brief thoughts on how the H3, AS-2, and Cardas Ear Mirror compare. I first need to state that all three are very capable IEMs. Although i haven't listed it in my signature yet, the H3 is up there with the AS-2 and Cardas. There is no doubt about this to my ears. It will really depend on the sound signature preferences of each of you in deciding with one is best for you. I will choose one signature I like the best at the end of this, but I hold all three equally in high regard. Why is that? Well, it's simply because each bring a little something different that I enjoy listening to in an earphone. There is not one in the three that possesses a sound signature so great that I feel like I can do without the other two. I couldn't do a "if you could only keep one" question. I will do, however, a "if you could only keep two" question and answer at the end of this. Okay, so here we go:
- The H3 clearly has the wider soundstage of the three. It feel more like sitting in a medium concert hall and maybe no more than 10 rows back. (By the way, all three have very similar full 3-D sound, so I won't nitpick there)
- This is the clear winner when it comes to clarity and details in vocals. That super tweeter BA is something marvelous inside of the H3. Vocals are sweet and refined.
- This is more airier of the three earphones with great space between instruments. Also the most refined (not that the other two aren't refined). A complaint, however, could be that some of the sound might be almost too smooth for some ears.
- Sub-bass seems to be more prominent and separated from the mid-bass in the H3 than in the other two phones, but sometimes the bass overall can sound a bit too smooth for me. The bass is like a fine cognac when sometimes you need a bit of strong whiskey in the bass instead of that smoothness. Again, this is a personal preference. The bass is a very good but I would prefer not so refined and smooth sometimes. Same with the drums, but it sounds very good.
- The smoothness in sound, however, make the piano sublime to my ears! I love it Guitars (electric and acoustic) sound wonderful but are lacking a little bit of edge - again - because of the smoothness of sound.
- The highs are the clear winner here. I've never heard such extended highs that didn't hurt my ears. Sony learned after those dagger like highs in the EX-1000 and EX-600. I'm not really a highs type of guy, but these highs are superb and quite extended to my ears. That super tweeter helps give the H3 the most clarity, transparency and details of the three.
- I've never heard horns sound so beautiful and full and detailed as hear in the H3. This is truly a great earphone for jazz.
- The AS-2 wins with a natural sound in the drums. I think this is mainly because its signature is not as smooth as the H3. Drums and bass are my favorite two instruments. the AS-2 has the edge in reproducing natural sounding acoustic bass, drums and percussion.
- Here is where I have to remind people that the AS-2 is a stage monitor and the H3 isn't. The functions of the two earphones are different, although many of us head-fiers use both for our music listening enjoyment. With that stated, the AS-2 doesn't have wide soundstage as the H3. Instruments sound much closer together on the soundstage. There is, however, good spacing between instruments, but closeness in soundstage is prominent. So listening to the AS-2 is like being in a much smaller venue (like a small jazz) club and closer to the musicians. You're not onstage with them as it was with the Earsonics SM3, but you are close to the music.
- Md-bass and sub-bass mix together more in the AS-2 than H3. This is not a bad thing to me. Again, it more about preference. Piano and other mid instruments (keyboards, etc.) do not have that same clarity as in the H3, but it is clear. Piano can sound a bit harsh sometimes in the AS-2.
- Electric and acoustic guitars, however, have more bite to my ears when listening through the AS-2. AS-2 says rock & roll to my ears more than the H3 (more suited to jazz for my ears but sounds good with everything). You want that slam in the guitar and drum, the AS-2 will command your attention. Yet, it's not as airy as the H3.
- The Cardas is somewhere in between the AS-2 and H3 in soundstage (but leaning more toward the AS-2).
- Vocal clarity is great but not quite up to the standard set by the H3, but it's there
- Highs are the most recessed here when comparing it to the other two earphones, but highs are there with nice extension. The more burn-in the more the highs come out, and I like the highs just fine. For highs lovers, however, there may not be enough for you in the EM5813.
- Guitars are solid but are little behind in the AS-2 in edge. Acoustic guitar, however, resonates better to my ear than it does out of the AS-2 or H3.
- Space between instruments is better here than in the AS-2, but not better than the H3
- I like the piano better here than in the AS-2, but again, not better than the H3.
So that is about it. I used the DX50 and the Fiio E10 as my sound sources (Fiio connected to my desktop Mac of course). Daft Punk's Lose Yourself To Dance, Freddie Hubbard's Little SunFlower, Hall & Oates' I Can't Go For That, and Kem's Share My World were the test tracks used.
I really hesitated in including the Cardas in this comparison because it changes quite a bit with the more burn-in I put on it, and it's still not done. But since so many requested it I decided to throw it in. Without a doubt, these three are the best sound earphones I own right now (I have to throw in the 1964 EARS V6). I didn't say best sounding universals since the AS-2 is a custom, but I'm sure I would include the ASG-2 as one of my best sounding universals with the other two if I still had it. Okay, so if I could only keep two which two would it be? It would be the H3 and AS-2. Please don't take that to mean I'm falling out of love with the Cardas. I am not. The H3 is the biggest surprise to me in sound (and the fact that I can wear it comfortably). I prefer the large and wide UE900 silicon tips, however, to make the H3 sound its best to my ears. And yes, overall, I like the H3's signature the best, but that could change depending on my listening needs. That's it for now. Happy listening.
- The discovery thread.! New Elecom EHP-CH1010 iem impression by Jant71. Page 2207.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 22 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 52 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 1 minute ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 1 minute ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K702 Impressions. 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 5 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 7 minutes ago
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear