or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out - Page 369

post #5521 of 6017
I shipped my HE-400s back to Crutchfield yesterday.

They are a very good headphone for $400, but i just couldn't justify keeping both them and the D7000. They are actually fairly similar in presentation to my ears, with the D7000 being superior in almost every way. But my D7000s were almost $600 so it's not exactly a fair comparison.

I would never go so far as to call the HE-400 "inferior" though because i think it's better than any other <$500 headphone I've ever heard. I could be very happy with the HE-400 as my only headphone.
Edited by palmfish - 11/24/12 at 8:34am
post #5522 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I say the HE-4 because its significantly lighter than the others, including the 5LE. Its almost 100g lighter than the HE400, and trust me, its noticeable. Also, the velours used are even better.

 

 

Actually only 50g lighter than HE-5LE, but 100g lighter than HE-500/6

 

Also, Im not sure, but I believe the 5LEs use the "old" better velours as well

post #5523 of 6017

I was able to score a pair of the "old velours" since the HE500s I picked up were made probably in mid-2011 before the new velours were available. Man they have such better quality materials. Looks DIY as hell though, don't think I'll ever use it.

post #5524 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

 

Actually only 50g lighter than HE-5LE, but 100g lighter than HE-500/6

 

Also, Im not sure, but I believe the 5LEs use the "old" better velours as well

 

What are the sound differences between HE-4 and HE-400? I read somewhere here that the HE-400 was considered an upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post


No offense but I think a weak neck is also a problem and the probable fact that most audiophiles are untrained. I am not saying that LCD-2s are ok and shouldn't be changed in comfort and build quality, especially at that price point and the main customer - but leaning against the wall due to fatigue? You have to be either old, a child, have orthopaedic problems or you are plain lazy. strictly speaking about weight.
I found the earpads comfortable and not creating sweat like pleather. I really hate pleather and pressure points like K701s headband. I agree with jerg about the loose fit, though not in that extreme.

The person leaning against the wall was TwinQY, not me!. Nonetheless, I'm just inexperienced with high-end headphones, so I probably have a skewed expectation of what headphones should feel like (my friends use headphones like the Bose noise-cancelling ones which are considerably lighter...and have lower sound quality I guess).

 

Thanks!

post #5525 of 6017

Got my HE-400's yesterday, it's my first hi-fi headphone (although i do have some experience with high-end home audio from a while back). I'm using them with an e9k/e17 combo and a PC usb source, and they sound amazing. 

 

Today i was fiddling a bit with the position on my head and the left driver went out completely. After a few minutes of panic, i removed the pads and discovered that the little silver tab at the bottom was sticking out a bit more on the left side, and was not making good contact with the board underneath. I got a small tool and carefully pressed it in, and the driver came back on.

 

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and if it's anything i should be concerned about? 

 

Thanks!

post #5526 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post


No offense but I think a weak neck is also a problem and the probable fact that most audiophiles are untrained. I am not saying that LCD-2s are ok and shouldn't be changed in comfort and build quality, especially at that price point and the main customer - but leaning against the wall due to fatigue? You have to be either old, a child, have orthopaedic problems or you are plain lazy. strictly speaking about weight.
I found the earpads comfortable and not creating sweat like pleather. I really hate pleather and pressure points like K701s headband. I agree with jerg about the loose fit, though not in that extreme.

 

You making fun of my neck? mad.gif

 

In my defense, I do listen to them for 10-12 hour stretches. By then anyone would have fatigue problems. 

post #5527 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post

Got my HE-400's yesterday, it's my first hi-fi headphone (although i do have some experience with high-end home audio from a while back). I'm using them with an e9k/e17 combo and a PC usb source, and they sound amazing. 

 

Today i was fiddling a bit with the position on my head and the left driver went out completely. After a few minutes of panic, i removed the pads and discovered that the little silver tab at the bottom was sticking out a bit more on the left side, and was not making good contact with the board underneath. I got a small tool and carefully pressed it in, and the driver came back on.

 

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and if it's anything i should be concerned about? 

 

Thanks!

 

That's definitely alarming; when you pressed it down did it "pop" back to an original position or did it feel like you are bending it and there is resistance? If it's the former then maybe you fixed it permanently, but if it's the latter then I'd say send it in for replacement.

post #5528 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

 

You making fun of my neck? mad.gif

 

In my defense, I do listen to them for 10-12 hour stretches. By then anyone would have fatigue problems. 

 

Dozing off with headphones and then waking up with neck pain is a good thing usually :D It means that the sound of the headphones makes up for their weight :)

post #5529 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

Dozing off with headphones and then waking up with neck pain is a good thing usually :D It means that the sound of the headphones makes up for their weight :)

 

Or that the sound manages to be very sleep inducing...I kid, I kid.

post #5530 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

 

Or that the sound manages to be very sleep inducing...I kid, I kid.

 

Our new headphones - the HIFIman Lullaby line!

 

Just put them on and drown in your dreams :D

post #5531 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

Our new headphones - the HIFIman Lullaby line!

 

Just put them on and drown in your dreams :D

Worst thing is, with the naming conventions a lot of these companies come up with...it might very well turn out to become reality.

post #5532 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

That's definitely alarming; when you pressed it down did it "pop" back to an original position or did it feel like you are bending it and there is resistance? If it's the former then maybe you fixed it permanently, but if it's the latter then I'd say send it in for replacement.

It doesn't snap into anything, it's just a bent metal tab which contacts the surface behind it. If you pull off your pads its very easy to see. You're right, it's definitely a bit alarming, but I hate the thought of sending these back and waiting, and they are working perfectly now. So I guess I'll keep using them and hope it doesn't happen again. If it does then they'll have to go back frown.gif
post #5533 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post


It doesn't snap into anything, it's just a bent metal tab which contacts the surface behind it. If you pull off your pads its very easy to see. You're right, it's definitely a bit alarming, but I hate the thought of sending these back and waiting, and they are working perfectly now. So I guess I'll keep using them and hope it doesn't happen again. If it does then they'll have to go back frown.gif

I know the part you are talking about.

 

An idea would be to pop the driver out (just unscrew the securing plate that sits between the earpad and the physical driver, and extract the driver, minding the soldered wires behind it), and carefully use a small wrench or plier and really have a good squeeze on the metal tab, making sure it'll stay nice and tight.

post #5534 of 6017
Is there a roll-call somewhere of all the grill mod owners and their photos? Some other thread I should be monitoring? biggrin.gif
post #5535 of 6017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post

What are the sound differences between HE-4 and HE-400? I read somewhere here that the HE-400 was considered an upgrade?

No. The HE400 and HE-4 are different, and I still consider the HE-4 superior in most aspects. More air and detail, more balanced, and more refined. The problem with the HE-4 is that it's very hard to drive. The HE400 is considerably darker, and more musical. The HE-4 is bright, but the treble isn't as glaring as the HE400. The HE400 has that mixture of darkness and strong treble, that sticks out a bit. The HE-4 has sparkly treble, but due to the cleaner tone, it's not abrupt and jarring like the HE400 can be.

Keep in mind, I had reacquired the HE-4 recently prior to getting the HE400 again, and it's all fresh in my mind.

The reason I prefer the HE400, is because it has more bass presence, and a more intimate tone.

The HE400 has more in common with the HD650, whereas the HE-4 has more in common with the DT880. Really, the HE-4 = planar DT880.

If you want more balance, more comfort, the HE-4 is better than the HE400. You just have to have a very strong amp to get them to sing, unlike the HE400 which sounds great off anything.

The HE-4 is still more expensive than the HE-400 too. I believe it's for a reason. They are both stellar and different enough to warrant having both if someone wanted to different sounds out of the same hifiman signature. Two sides of the same coin.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 11/24/12 at 6:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out