How is DAT BASS.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
Related Forum Threads
- Amp/dac recommended for Bose IE2 Last post on 3/23/13 at 10:51am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project Last post on 8/13/14 at 8:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- he 400 Last post on 9/25/14 at 1:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE400+Magni/modi combo Last post on 9/21/14 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out - Page 366
Gear mentioned in this thread:
So no sales on the he-400, huh. Moon audio said "15% off everything on the site!" Then turned out to be excluding v moda and hifiman...
Headamp has free next day shipping....and that's it.
Honestly so far I can't tell difference in distortion, the only thing I can say is HE500 mids are fuller and blooms more, however because of that it doesn't sound as dynamic or "holographic" as the HE400s.
It has the same size diaphragm, but is 100% covered by aluminum tracings (as opposed to HE400's about 2/3 coverage) and magnet arrays.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 1:07pm
Is that true? At least in the inner fidelity video, the HE-6 tyll took apart spanned the entire circular enclosure of the frame, and I assumed HE-500 to be the same. HE-400 I always just assumed to be a big rectangle.
Well I don't even need to take any photos, there already are photos on the internet with the two drivers side by side:
As apparent here, the HE400s take up the center 2/3 of the entire diaphragm, while the HE500s have more extended tracings filling up the two sides.
I bet the bass dynamics of the HE400s are at least partially due to the circular grooving on its tracings, which the HE500 diaphragm doesn't have.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 1:16pm
I've seen talk of this mid distortion on the HE-400s, but not sure if i can detect it. What should i be looking for to be able to hear it?
@ jerg, all things considered, which of the two do you prefer?
Edited by beaver316 - 11/23/12 at 1:38pm
Well for me, I'm not sure if what I heard was characteristic of the HE-400 mid distortion or not. But at least coming from the HD650, the HE-400 mids had a sense of being liquidy and flowing together, while the HD650 was more snappy. It also sorta gave the HD650 a blacker background too. Purrin noticed the same thing about the HE-400's mids and its lack of clean background. However, I'm not sure if what I experienced with the HE-400 was just a result of planar magnetic sound signature, or the high distortion.
I see, apart from the lack of clean background you mention, this "distortion" doesnt seem to be a drawback if the mids have a sense of being liquid. It may well be an orthodynamic thing.
Both seem to be great in their own right, no preference for now.
Ok maybe a slight edge to the HE500s .
Another hour of listening and I've finally begun to notice some subtleties with regards to the "black background" thing people yap about, the HE500s do allow some more background microdetails through.
I'm still not hearing any symptoms of them being underpowered by my FiiO E17 though. They sound mighty fine to me, maybe a hair lacking in dynamics compared to the HE400s but I'm pretty sure that's due to the difference in FR.
It does clamp more though because I've flexed my HE400 headband so much it is much looser compared to these HE500s, which the original owner barely used.
Anyway, photo of the HE500 driver with my grill mod, compared to how it looked on the HE400
There seems to be less of a positive effect with the grill mod here compared to how much the HE400s improved, not sure why.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 2:54pm
I'm upgrading from Ultrasone Pro 900's (The sibiliance is unbearable for me) and am wondering how good these are for movies and games?
I looked into the music part enough, to see music fits my needs. Cant find much info on the movies/games aspect.
Also, who do I have to e-mail to get the velour pads in my purchase? Can I still buy from amazon or do I need to order direct from their website?
- New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fischer Audio FA-005 1 minute ago
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › New Beyer DT1350 3 minutes ago
- › IAM GROUP LIMITED (LTD.) KOREA, POVERTY 4 minutes ago
- › GAS? 5 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 6 minutes ago
- › RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68,... 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 7 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)