How is DAT BASS.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review Last post on 6/1/13 at 4:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for folk in the $200 range. Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 10/17/13 at 4:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Would I enjoy the Audeze-LCD-2/3? Last post on 2/28/13 at 10:16am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/6/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out - Page 366
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5477 of 601911/23/12 at 12:57pm
So no sales on the he-400, huh. Moon audio said "15% off everything on the site!" Then turned out to be excluding v moda and hifiman...
Headamp has free next day shipping....and that's it.post #5478 of 601911/23/12 at 1:00pmpost #5479 of 601911/23/12 at 1:04pmpost #5480 of 601911/23/12 at 1:06pmQuote:
Honestly so far I can't tell difference in distortion, the only thing I can say is HE500 mids are fuller and blooms more, however because of that it doesn't sound as dynamic or "holographic" as the HE400s.
It has the same size diaphragm, but is 100% covered by aluminum tracings (as opposed to HE400's about 2/3 coverage) and magnet arrays.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 1:07pmpost #5481 of 601911/23/12 at 1:10pm
Is that true? At least in the inner fidelity video, the HE-6 tyll took apart spanned the entire circular enclosure of the frame, and I assumed HE-500 to be the same. HE-400 I always just assumed to be a big rectangle.post #5482 of 601911/23/12 at 1:14pmQuote:
Well I don't even need to take any photos, there already are photos on the internet with the two drivers side by side:
As apparent here, the HE400s take up the center 2/3 of the entire diaphragm, while the HE500s have more extended tracings filling up the two sides.
I bet the bass dynamics of the HE400s are at least partially due to the circular grooving on its tracings, which the HE500 diaphragm doesn't have.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 1:16pmpost #5483 of 601911/23/12 at 1:36pmQuote:
I've seen talk of this mid distortion on the HE-400s, but not sure if i can detect it. What should i be looking for to be able to hear it?
@ jerg, all things considered, which of the two do you prefer?
Edited by beaver316 - 11/23/12 at 1:38pmpost #5484 of 601911/23/12 at 1:40pm
Well for me, I'm not sure if what I heard was characteristic of the HE-400 mid distortion or not. But at least coming from the HD650, the HE-400 mids had a sense of being liquidy and flowing together, while the HD650 was more snappy. It also sorta gave the HD650 a blacker background too. Purrin noticed the same thing about the HE-400's mids and its lack of clean background. However, I'm not sure if what I experienced with the HE-400 was just a result of planar magnetic sound signature, or the high distortion.post #5485 of 601911/23/12 at 1:51pm
I see, apart from the lack of clean background you mention, this "distortion" doesnt seem to be a drawback if the mids have a sense of being liquid. It may well be an orthodynamic thing.post #5486 of 601911/23/12 at 1:52pmQuote:
Both seem to be great in their own right, no preference for now.post #5487 of 601911/23/12 at 2:40pm
Ok maybe a slight edge to the HE500s .
Another hour of listening and I've finally begun to notice some subtleties with regards to the "black background" thing people yap about, the HE500s do allow some more background microdetails through.
I'm still not hearing any symptoms of them being underpowered by my FiiO E17 though. They sound mighty fine to me, maybe a hair lacking in dynamics compared to the HE400s but I'm pretty sure that's due to the difference in FR.post #5488 of 601911/23/12 at 2:45pmpost #5489 of 601911/23/12 at 2:52pmQuote:
It does clamp more though because I've flexed my HE400 headband so much it is much looser compared to these HE500s, which the original owner barely used.
Anyway, photo of the HE500 driver with my grill mod, compared to how it looked on the HE400
There seems to be less of a positive effect with the grill mod here compared to how much the HE400s improved, not sure why.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 2:54pmpost #5490 of 601911/23/12 at 4:21pmI have a quick question before I buy these.
I'm upgrading from Ultrasone Pro 900's (The sibiliance is unbearable for me) and am wondering how good these are for movies and games?
I looked into the music part enough, to see music fits my needs. Cant find much info on the movies/games aspect.
Also, who do I have to e-mail to get the velour pads in my purchase? Can I still buy from amazon or do I need to order direct from their website?
- New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 46 seconds ago
- › TDK IE800 Quick Review 55 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 59 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › If you live in NYC can you test many different headphones and music... 2 minutes ago
- › AUDEZE LCD XC 4 minutes ago
- › Explain your avatar 5 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi