How is DAT BASS.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review Last post on Today at 1:25 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for folk in the $200 range. Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Would I enjoy the Audeze-LCD-2/3? Last post on 2/28/13 at 10:16am in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Edited on 5/13/13
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out - Page 366
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5477 of 601911/23/12 at 12:57pm
So no sales on the he-400, huh. Moon audio said "15% off everything on the site!" Then turned out to be excluding v moda and hifiman...
Headamp has free next day shipping....and that's it.post #5478 of 601911/23/12 at 1:00pmpost #5479 of 601911/23/12 at 1:04pmpost #5480 of 601911/23/12 at 1:06pmQuote:
Honestly so far I can't tell difference in distortion, the only thing I can say is HE500 mids are fuller and blooms more, however because of that it doesn't sound as dynamic or "holographic" as the HE400s.
It has the same size diaphragm, but is 100% covered by aluminum tracings (as opposed to HE400's about 2/3 coverage) and magnet arrays.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 1:07pmpost #5481 of 601911/23/12 at 1:10pm
Is that true? At least in the inner fidelity video, the HE-6 tyll took apart spanned the entire circular enclosure of the frame, and I assumed HE-500 to be the same. HE-400 I always just assumed to be a big rectangle.post #5482 of 601911/23/12 at 1:14pmQuote:
Well I don't even need to take any photos, there already are photos on the internet with the two drivers side by side:
As apparent here, the HE400s take up the center 2/3 of the entire diaphragm, while the HE500s have more extended tracings filling up the two sides.
I bet the bass dynamics of the HE400s are at least partially due to the circular grooving on its tracings, which the HE500 diaphragm doesn't have.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 1:16pmpost #5483 of 601911/23/12 at 1:36pmQuote:
I've seen talk of this mid distortion on the HE-400s, but not sure if i can detect it. What should i be looking for to be able to hear it?
@ jerg, all things considered, which of the two do you prefer?
Edited by beaver316 - 11/23/12 at 1:38pmpost #5484 of 601911/23/12 at 1:40pm
Well for me, I'm not sure if what I heard was characteristic of the HE-400 mid distortion or not. But at least coming from the HD650, the HE-400 mids had a sense of being liquidy and flowing together, while the HD650 was more snappy. It also sorta gave the HD650 a blacker background too. Purrin noticed the same thing about the HE-400's mids and its lack of clean background. However, I'm not sure if what I experienced with the HE-400 was just a result of planar magnetic sound signature, or the high distortion.post #5485 of 601911/23/12 at 1:51pm
I see, apart from the lack of clean background you mention, this "distortion" doesnt seem to be a drawback if the mids have a sense of being liquid. It may well be an orthodynamic thing.post #5486 of 601911/23/12 at 1:52pmQuote:
Both seem to be great in their own right, no preference for now.post #5487 of 601911/23/12 at 2:40pm
Ok maybe a slight edge to the HE500s .
Another hour of listening and I've finally begun to notice some subtleties with regards to the "black background" thing people yap about, the HE500s do allow some more background microdetails through.
I'm still not hearing any symptoms of them being underpowered by my FiiO E17 though. They sound mighty fine to me, maybe a hair lacking in dynamics compared to the HE400s but I'm pretty sure that's due to the difference in FR.post #5488 of 601911/23/12 at 2:45pmpost #5489 of 601911/23/12 at 2:52pmQuote:
It does clamp more though because I've flexed my HE400 headband so much it is much looser compared to these HE500s, which the original owner barely used.
Anyway, photo of the HE500 driver with my grill mod, compared to how it looked on the HE400
There seems to be less of a positive effect with the grill mod here compared to how much the HE400s improved, not sure why.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 2:54pmpost #5490 of 601911/23/12 at 4:21pmI have a quick question before I buy these.
I'm upgrading from Ultrasone Pro 900's (The sibiliance is unbearable for me) and am wondering how good these are for movies and games?
I looked into the music part enough, to see music fits my needs. Cant find much info on the movies/games aspect.
Also, who do I have to e-mail to get the velour pads in my purchase? Can I still buy from amazon or do I need to order direct from their website?
- New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › WTB: Bad DT770 for project 5 seconds ago
- › Dallas, TX - Sunday, June 9th, 2013 - The "Not Quite In The Oven... 16 seconds ago
- › NEED a good 2.1 System, Can't figure out which ones I really want... 40 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 53 seconds ago
- › New HP-P1 For Sale $450 dollars including shipping! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › VSONIC VC1000 - new dual BA IEM - Info & expectations thread 1 minute ago
- › Singapore Meet - Interest Check. 2 minutes ago
- › Brief Odac impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Htc One 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe