How is DAT BASS.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review Last post on 6/1/13 at 4:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for folk in the $200 range. Last post on 6/6/12 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Would I enjoy the Audeze-LCD-2/3? Last post on 2/28/13 at 10:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end...
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out - Page 366
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5477 of 602011/23/12 at 12:57pm
So no sales on the he-400, huh. Moon audio said "15% off everything on the site!" Then turned out to be excluding v moda and hifiman...
Headamp has free next day shipping....and that's it.post #5478 of 602011/23/12 at 1:00pmpost #5479 of 602011/23/12 at 1:04pmpost #5480 of 602011/23/12 at 1:06pmQuote:
Honestly so far I can't tell difference in distortion, the only thing I can say is HE500 mids are fuller and blooms more, however because of that it doesn't sound as dynamic or "holographic" as the HE400s.
It has the same size diaphragm, but is 100% covered by aluminum tracings (as opposed to HE400's about 2/3 coverage) and magnet arrays.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 1:07pmpost #5481 of 602011/23/12 at 1:10pm
Is that true? At least in the inner fidelity video, the HE-6 tyll took apart spanned the entire circular enclosure of the frame, and I assumed HE-500 to be the same. HE-400 I always just assumed to be a big rectangle.post #5482 of 602011/23/12 at 1:14pmQuote:
Well I don't even need to take any photos, there already are photos on the internet with the two drivers side by side:
As apparent here, the HE400s take up the center 2/3 of the entire diaphragm, while the HE500s have more extended tracings filling up the two sides.
I bet the bass dynamics of the HE400s are at least partially due to the circular grooving on its tracings, which the HE500 diaphragm doesn't have.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 1:16pmpost #5483 of 602011/23/12 at 1:36pmQuote:
I've seen talk of this mid distortion on the HE-400s, but not sure if i can detect it. What should i be looking for to be able to hear it?
@ jerg, all things considered, which of the two do you prefer?
Edited by beaver316 - 11/23/12 at 1:38pmpost #5484 of 602011/23/12 at 1:40pm
Well for me, I'm not sure if what I heard was characteristic of the HE-400 mid distortion or not. But at least coming from the HD650, the HE-400 mids had a sense of being liquidy and flowing together, while the HD650 was more snappy. It also sorta gave the HD650 a blacker background too. Purrin noticed the same thing about the HE-400's mids and its lack of clean background. However, I'm not sure if what I experienced with the HE-400 was just a result of planar magnetic sound signature, or the high distortion.post #5485 of 602011/23/12 at 1:51pm
I see, apart from the lack of clean background you mention, this "distortion" doesnt seem to be a drawback if the mids have a sense of being liquid. It may well be an orthodynamic thing.post #5486 of 602011/23/12 at 1:52pmQuote:
Both seem to be great in their own right, no preference for now.post #5487 of 602011/23/12 at 2:40pm
Ok maybe a slight edge to the HE500s .
Another hour of listening and I've finally begun to notice some subtleties with regards to the "black background" thing people yap about, the HE500s do allow some more background microdetails through.
I'm still not hearing any symptoms of them being underpowered by my FiiO E17 though. They sound mighty fine to me, maybe a hair lacking in dynamics compared to the HE400s but I'm pretty sure that's due to the difference in FR.post #5488 of 602011/23/12 at 2:45pmpost #5489 of 602011/23/12 at 2:52pmQuote:
It does clamp more though because I've flexed my HE400 headband so much it is much looser compared to these HE500s, which the original owner barely used.
Anyway, photo of the HE500 driver with my grill mod, compared to how it looked on the HE400
There seems to be less of a positive effect with the grill mod here compared to how much the HE400s improved, not sure why.
Edited by jerg - 11/23/12 at 2:54pmpost #5490 of 602011/23/12 at 4:21pmI have a quick question before I buy these.
I'm upgrading from Ultrasone Pro 900's (The sibiliance is unbearable for me) and am wondering how good these are for movies and games?
I looked into the music part enough, to see music fits my needs. Cant find much info on the movies/games aspect.
Also, who do I have to e-mail to get the velour pads in my purchase? Can I still buy from amazon or do I need to order direct from their website?
- New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › WAV to MP3 5 seconds ago
- › Shure 535 clear Vers with possible add ons! 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x,... 2 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed. A Teeny-Weeny Update! (page 104) 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Stock FW ver 2.1.0 (Latest... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › are dacs easy to use? 4 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-06-30 4 minutes ago
- › Recon3D sound card settings with Fidelio X1 + Fiio E12 Amp 4 minutes ago
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)