Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out - Page 4

post #46 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexAeterna View Post


what?! got to be out of your mind if you think 92db is not efficient. that's like ear piercing levels for me. no wonder lot people have ringing issues all the time in their ears.


I agree. I'm actually fine with volume I can get out of my mp3 players with my HE-4 jacked in. I think it's the older folks in the forum that need the extra volume.

post #47 of 6020

Intriguing.  I bought the HE-300 3 weeks ago and loving the sound so much.  I intended that to satisfy my headphone hunger for a while; maybe a year at least!

 

Now this comes out.  Sigh.  My poor wallet

post #48 of 6020

This part is befuddling:

 

 

Quote:
2)      It has the familiar HiFiMAN sonic signature which means it is very detailed yet warm

 

post #49 of 6020

^^^^^^^

 

The audio equivalent of the marketing double-speak used in ads for men's fragrances... "strong yet vulnerable", "assertive yet sensitive". biggrin.gif

post #50 of 6020

Well, I'm not sure if it is contradictory. You could have a headphone with a warm sound signature that is also very good at picking up microdetails. 

post #51 of 6020
I'm really interested in these =O
I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones for home and these look great.
post #52 of 6020

Quote:

Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

i have been listening to HE-400 since yesterday. let me answer a few questions

 

 

[...] (Click to show)

 

1. In terms of the build quality, it's exactly the same as HE-500 and HE-6. Personally I can't tell the difference at all. 

 

2. The blue color actually looks pretty refreshing. I thought i wouldn't like it, but i kind of do. 

 

3. The first thing people will notice about this headphone is the bass. I have heard almost every single Hifiman Planar headphone, and they always stay just a little bit light on the amount of bass (although they do hit pretty deep). HE-400 is different. It's the first Hifiman headphone which will grab you first with its bass performance. It's definitely tuned for Rock, Electric or R&B music. I can't help myself to compare it against LCD2 which has fantastic bass performance. I am not going to comment on the actual performance yet until I listen to it for at least one week or two. 

 

4. I have been driving it directly out of my iPhone4, and getting surprisingly good sound. The volume is at 80%, and everything you expect from a planar headphone is all there. Yes, it definitely performs better with an amp, and I am always against not using an amp especially with an Ortho. HE-400 is changing my mind. It gives you an option to drive it directly out of i-devices, and not making you feel that you are missing something. It's quite awesome actually. 

 

5. How does it compare against HE-500? well...HE-500 is still superior when it comes to transparency and clarity, but HE-400 offers better bass impact and is much easier to drive. After the recent price drop on HE-500, it is considered as the best value on the headphone market right now, and i think that HE-400 just took over the crown in terms of value.

 

 


So it's safe to assume you'll be bringing to Frank's minimeet at the end of January, right?

 

(if so, sweet)

 

post #53 of 6020
Thread Starter 

you bet :-)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Quote:


So it's safe to assume you'll be bringing to Frank's minimeet at the end of January, right?

 

(if so, sweet)

 



 

post #54 of 6020
Thread Starter 

+1.

warm sounding has nothing to do with micro details. does it mean only a headphone with dry and cold sound signature is able to produce incredible details? Does it mean that all the tube amplifiers simply lacks in details compare to solid state amps? ^_^ 

It's difficult to describe sound with words. I just read somewhere that it's like use words to describe wine. you just have to listen to it yourself in order to understand. Plus everyone's hearing is different and not to mention music preference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki View Post

Well, I'm not sure if it is contradictory. You could have a headphone with a warm sound signature that is also very good at picking up microdetails. 



 

post #55 of 6020
Thread Starter 

If you can live with HE-4 out of your mp3 player, i am sure  you are going to love HE-400. ^_^ I used to have HE-4, and never liked it directly out of something like iPhone, but HE-400 sounds pretty good. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voohoo View Post



I agree. I'm actually fine with volume I can get out of my mp3 players with my HE-4 jacked in. I think it's the older folks in the forum that need the extra volume.



 

post #56 of 6020

I think people often assume that if a headphone is warm sounding then that means the low frequencies are going to be dominate and that the higher frequencies are going to be a bit recessed along with alot of details. But it's very dependent on the headphone and more complex that.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

+1.

warm sounding has nothing to do with micro details. does it mean only a headphone with dry and cold sound signature is able to produce incredible details? Does it mean that all the tube amplifiers simply lacks in details compare to solid state amps? ^_^ 

It's difficult to describe sound with words. I just read somewhere that it's like use words to describe wine. you just have to listen to it yourself in order to understand. Plus everyone's hearing is different and not to mention music preference.

 



 



 

post #57 of 6020
Thread Starter 

totally agree, and i think that kind of thinking comes from dynamic headphones. Because of the nature of dynamic driver, it usually can't do everything good across the entire frequency range. That's why Orthos are getting very popular recently, because the magnets can control the entire surface of the diaphragm and offer stellar performance for bass, mids and treble all at the same time.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post

I think people often assume that if a headphone is warm sounding then that means the low frequencies are going to be dominate and that the higher frequencies are going to be a bit recessed along with alot of details. But it's very dependent on the headphone and more complex that.
 



 



 

post #58 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

totally agree, and i think that kind of thinking comes from dynamic headphones. Because of the nature of dynamic driver, it usually can't do everything good across the entire frequency range. That's why Orthos are getting very popular recently, because the magnets can control the entire surface of the diaphragm and offer stellar performance for bass, mids and treble all at the same time.



Which is why this model is so intriguing!  Can this be the HE-500's little brother?  I certainly hope so!

post #59 of 6020
Getting loud volume does not really equate to being driven properly
post #60 of 6020

What have you been driving it with?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

i have been listening to HE-400 since yesterday. let me answer a few questions

 

1. In terms of the build quality, it's exactly the same as HE-500 and HE-6. Personally I can't tell the difference at all. 

 

2. The blue color actually looks pretty refreshing. I thought i wouldn't like it, but i kind of do. 

 

3. The first thing people will notice about this headphone is the bass. I have heard almost every single Hifiman Planar headphone, and they always stay just a little bit light on the amount of bass (although they do hit pretty deep). HE-400 is different. It's the first Hifiman headphone which will grab you first with its bass performance. It's definitely tuned for Rock, Electric or R&B music. I can't help myself to compare it against LCD2 which has fantastic bass performance. I am not going to comment on the actual performance yet until I listen to it for at least one week or two. 

 

4. I have been driving it directly out of my iPhone4, and getting surprisingly good sound. The volume is at 80%, and everything you expect from a planar headphone is all there. Yes, it definitely performs better with an amp, and I am always against not using an amp especially with an Ortho. HE-400 is changing my mind. It gives you an option to drive it directly out of i-devices, and not making you feel that you are missing something. It's quite awesome actually. 

 

5. How does it compare against HE-500? well...HE-500 is still superior when it comes to transparency and clarity, but HE-400 offers better bass impact and is much easier to drive. After the recent price drop on HE-500, it is considered as the best value on the headphone market right now, and i think that HE-400 just took over the crown in terms of value.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out