Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out - Page 298

post #4456 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess? View Post

 

Try ebay.co.uk - here

 

Interesting. Thanks! Seems the item is still shipped from the US tho, hmm. 


Edited by Kjeldsen - 10/2/12 at 4:05am
post #4457 of 6020

Yeah, sorry. I didn't mean to sound entitled or anything. I'm just used to Amazon Prime! That's cool that the Chinese have a week-long holiday where their postal service doesn't operate, but it's kind of unfortunate that they didn't put any notice up on their website. At any rate, they canceled my order. Debating whether to get them from somewhere else or just buy a member's HD600 and call it a day. I just don't know. I really don't want to be shipping headphones back and forth if there's anything wrong with them.

post #4458 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken View Post

Yeah, sorry. I didn't mean to sound entitled or anything. I'm just used to Amazon Prime! That's cool that the Chinese have a week-long holiday where their postal service doesn't operate, but it's kind of unfortunate that they didn't put any notice up on their website. At any rate, they canceled my order. Debating whether to get them from somewhere else or just buy a member's HD600 and call it a day. I just don't know. I really don't want to be shipping headphones back and forth if there's anything wrong with them.

 

If you're looking to buy the he400 or one of the hdxxx line, you should consider the hd650 over the hd600. It's a more comparable hp IMO.

 

gL!!

post #4459 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

If you're looking to buy the he400 or one of the hdxxx line, you should consider the hd650 over the hd600. It's a more comparable hp IMO.

 

gL!!

 

From everything I've read, aside from you, the HD650 is warm and thick, and the HE400 is fast but smooth. I don't think anyone would call the HD650 fast. Just what I've read.

post #4460 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

If you're looking to buy the he400 or one of the hdxxx line, you should consider the hd650 over the hd600. It's a more comparable hp IMO.

gL!!

Don't forget to that the hd650 will require a good amp to sing.
post #4461 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post


Don't forget to that the hd650 will require a good amp to sing.

 

That's why I'm torn. If I get the HD650 I can get one slightly cheaper than the HE400, but then I need to buy a decent amp too, so that's another $250-$450 out of my pocket. I really want the Lyr, but it's so damn expensive. If I get the HE400s my E17 will do just fine for now. Ugh. WHY IS THIS SO HARD

post #4462 of 6020

The lyr comes up for sale used regularly for $350 and sometimes less. I missed one a month ago for $250!!! blink.gif

 

This time I got the lyr and bf for just under $600 shipped. That's a lot of cash yes, but for me an end game setup. People spend a lot more for end. Schitt hold their value well also. 

 

gL!!

post #4463 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken View Post

 

That's why I'm torn. If I get the HD650 I can get one slightly cheaper than the HE400, but then I need to buy a decent amp too, so that's another $250-$450 out of my pocket. I really want the Lyr, but it's so damn expensive. If I get the HE400s my E17 will do just fine for now. Ugh. WHY IS THIS SO HARD

 

You can get an O2 from JDS labs for $150 that will have more than enough power for the HD 650. Personally, I have never liked the 650 - too warm and thick sounding, the HD 600 is much better IMO.

post #4464 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken View Post

 

That's why I'm torn. If I get the HD650 I can get one slightly cheaper than the HE400, but then I need to buy a decent amp too, so that's another $250-$450 out of my pocket. I really want the Lyr, but it's so damn expensive. If I get the HE400s my E17 will do just fine for now. Ugh. WHY IS THIS SO HARD

 

You can get an O2 from JDS labs for $150 that will have more than enough power for the HD 650. Personally, I have never liked the 650 - too warm and thick sounding, the HD 600 is much better IMO.

I heard HD650 with O2 and unfortunately as with many others they lacking sub-bass

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #4465 of 6020
Beside brighter treble and increase durability are there any other differences between the rev 2 and rev 3?
post #4466 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


I heard HD650 with O2 and unfortunately as with many others they lacking sub-bass
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

 

So if I understand you correctly, you want to buy a headphone that is lacking in bass response and pair it with an amp that will distort the bass up to sufficient quantity?

 

Why not just buy a headphone with sufficient bass response? The Denon D2000 for example is an outstanding headphone that's easy to drive and has great sub bass response.

post #4467 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

 

So if I understand you correctly, you want to buy a headphone that is lacking in bass response and pair it with an amp that will distort the bass up to sufficient quantity?

 

Why not just buy a headphone with sufficient bass response? The Denon D2000 for example is an outstanding headphone that's easy to drive and has great sub bass response.

You can EQ in a great amount of bass in the 650s, you just have to watch below 40hz at higher volumes.

post #4468 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post

Beside brighter treble and increase durability are there any other differences between the rev 2 and rev 3?

 

I'm pretty sure the logo print is much nicer now; older HE400s have extremely fragile logos that scratch off easily.

post #4469 of 6020

I'm sure someone already replied to this. But let me be clear, I'm more of a casual audiophile then I am an audiophile. Meaning, I love quality sound. But I'm far from being an expert when it comes to understanding the technical stuff. I also don't have the ear that most have on here to really hear all the details and be able to adequately describe them. 

 

So my opinion is coming 100% from just a casual listener, and I would take it with a grain of salt.

 

For me, the velour adds weight to the overall sound. The treble is more smooth and tamed, and the overall sound just gets more weight/thickness. Without the velour, it sounds thin and almost crass. Sharp even. One thing I would like to add though, and I think it's important to consider, I've been listening to these for 2 weeks with velour, and randomly tried them without. So maybe my ears was adjusting drastically to the new sound. So it's hard to really say how accurate.

 

I guess for me though, I was just shocked at the change in sound on the same headphone. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post


Now I can't wait for the dealer in my town to restock the velours. Can you please describe your observations on the main improvement in sound quality over the pleather? Thanks. Is it a lot more comfortable too?

Edited by satanigatan - 10/2/12 at 9:53am
post #4470 of 6020

I personally love the HD-650 and have come to really like their sound. Makes me want to invest in a proper set up now, since the 650's supposedly "come to life" with better amping. And if I already like them, I'm interested. Real interested.

 

But again, for me I just keep coming back to the LCD-2's. Maybe I'm foolish. But I really want to save up and give the Rev 2/bamboo a try. =/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out