New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FAQ About E17 - Page 10

post #136 of 159
I have a few questions concerning the E17...

1) How does one set gain on the E17 in order to get the best sound possible? Should the impedance of the headphones be considered in the decision?

2) If you plug the E17 with an mp3 player via the two-sided jack cable (and so the E17's DAC is not working) and set the gain to 0db, is the E17's amp working or is it exactly as if you where not using the E17?

3-a) If one uses the E17 and the Fiio L5 cable in conjunction with a Sony Walkman, that person will be bypassing the the Walkman's amp and use the E17's amp; but will the E17's DAC be in use also?
3-b) Regarding the sound quality, is it a good idea to use the E17+L5 setup with a Sony Walkman mp3 player?
3-c) What type of Sony Walkman can be used with the E17? What spec should i look for?

4) Is the DAC mode only used when the E17 is plugged into a computer?

5) When using the E17 has a DAC with a computer, at what level should one set the volume of the computer?

Cheers!
Edited by olamtap - 9/12/13 at 10:31pm
post #137 of 159

what should you do if you not using the e17 for a long period of time? Like even when it is off, it still uses battery so should i charge it even tho i'm not using it? Or should i just leave it until it drains completely? 

post #138 of 159

There's really no point in keeping the battery charged if it's not in use for a while.  It shouldn't affect the battery to leave it drained for a while. 

post #139 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem View Post
 

what should you do if you not using the e17 for a long period of time? Like even when it is off, it still uses battery so should i charge it even tho i'm not using it? Or should i just leave it until it drains completely?

 

 

any device has build in battery sould be charged before the battery drains completely. I will suggest you charge it at least one time per month.

post #140 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by olamtap View Post

I have a few questions concerning the E17...

1) How does one set gain on the E17 in order to get the best sound possible? Should the impedance of the headphones be considered in the decision?
Re: Yes, usually you should set to high gain for high impedance headphones or low sensitivtive headphones.


2) If you plug the E17 with an mp3 player via the two-sided jack cable (and so the E17's DAC is not working) and set the gain to 0db, is the E17's amp working or is it exactly as if you where not using the E17?
Re: Yes, the amp is working not matter it is at low or high gain.


3-a) If one uses the E17 and the Fiio L5 cable in conjunction with a Sony Walkman, that person will be bypassing the the Walkman's amp and use the E17's amp; but will the E17's DAC be in use also?
Re: Not.

3-b) Regarding the sound quality, is it a good idea to use the E17+L5 setup with a Sony Walkman mp3 player?
Re: Yes.

3-c) What type of Sony Walkman can be used with the E17? What spec should i look for?
Re: it should help all walkman which has line out


4) Is the DAC mode only used when the E17 is plugged into a computer?
Not only computer, you can also used it as DAC with any audio device which has digital out ( USB audio out, coaxial out, and optical out )


5) When using the E17 has a DAC with a computer, at what level should one set the volume of the computer?
Set to max.


Cheers!
post #141 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

 

any device has build in battery sould be charged before the battery drains completely. I will suggest you charge it at least one time per month.

 

I'm going to default to what James says since he actually makes this stuff.

post #142 of 159

James: I'm using the e17+e09k+a1 combo, using lo-bypass (can't tweak settings in the e17) and usb, with a sennheiser 600 and bookshelf speakers.

 

 

1) Should I use low or high gain in the e09k (headphones)?

 

2) Does power output increase by using a higher volume? Especially interested about the A1 (speakers).

 

3) Will sound quality be the exact same if I don't use lo-bypass, in order to being able to change volume in the E17 while leaving windows volume set to max.?

 

 

edit with some more info:

- The reason I leave it with lo-bypass is to not have double amplification (pre from e17 is prevented by doing this). Useful for question 3.

- Also, the reasons why I want to use the knob higher than 20% or so (lets say 60%) are A1 power output and that the knob itself is getting a bit sticky from always using it in the same position.


Edited by avens - 10/2/13 at 7:28am
post #143 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by avens View Post
 

James: I'm using the e17+e09k+a1 combo, using lo-bypass (can't tweak settings in the e17) and usb, with a sennheiser 600 and bookshelf speakers.

 

 

1) Should I use low or high gain in the e09k (headphones)?

 

High Gain will be better.

 

2) Does power output increase by using a higher volume? Especially interested about the A1 (speakers).

 

Yes.

 

3) Will sound quality be the exact same if I don't use lo-bypass, in order to being able to change volume in the E17 while leaving windows volume set to max.?

 

Not, the lo-bypass mode will be better in SQ, 

 

 

edit with some more info:

- The reason I leave it with lo-bypass is to not have double amplification (pre from e17 is prevented by doing this). Useful for question 3.

- Also, the reasons why I want to use the knob higher than 20% or so (lets say 60%) are A1 power output and that the knob itself is getting a bit sticky from always using it in the same position.

post #144 of 159

I haven't come to this thread in a long time. Anyway, thanks to James for comming by while he is officially on vacation right now. 

post #145 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by olamtap View Post

I have a few questions concerning the E17...

1) How does one set gain on the E17 in order to get the best sound possible? Should the impedance of the headphones be considered in the decision?

2) If you plug the E17 with an mp3 player via the two-sided jack cable (and so the E17's DAC is not working) and set the gain to 0db, is the E17's amp working or is it exactly as if you where not using the E17?

3-a) If one uses the E17 and the Fiio L5 cable in conjunction with a Sony Walkman, that person will be bypassing the the Walkman's amp and use the E17's amp; but will the E17's DAC be in use also?
3-b) Regarding the sound quality, is it a good idea to use the E17+L5 setup with a Sony Walkman mp3 player?
3-c) What type of Sony Walkman can be used with the E17? What spec should i look for?

4) Is the DAC mode only used when the E17 is plugged into a computer?

5) When using the E17 has a DAC with a computer, at what level should one set the volume of the computer?

Cheers!

1: Low gain is always better unless the headphones aren't loud enough. Only use high if the headphones need it.

 

2: The amp is working.

 

3A: No, the DAC will not be in use.

 

3B: I'd personally just use a Sansa Clip+ for a portable rig like this, but think "weakest link in the chain" logic. If the MP3 player doesnt sound good, the E17 is not going to make it better and might make it worse. 

 

3C: There are none that support the DAC function if that's what you're asking.

 

4: Yes, only when you're plugged into a computer or other compatible device.

 

5: Set the computer to max and control the volume from the E17. It might do this automatically. 

post #146 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

 



so based on your answer #4 would the Fiio E17 DAC be activated when you use the fiio L12s with an ipod/iphone?

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000018364884&MenuID=105026009
post #147 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 



so based on your answer #4 would the Fiio E17 DAC be activated when you use the fiio L12s with an ipod/iphone?

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000018364884&MenuID=105026009

Uh, you can't use that with an iDevce. 3.5mm TOSLINK =//////= 3.5mm TRS. 

post #148 of 159

Is the e17 eq active when being used with a L7???

I was thinking about getting this setup...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3=>E17 with L7=>E12/E12DIY(Didn't decide yet)=>XBA-3/HD518/Momentum...

I really want the DIY but don't have any soldering skills yet...

I am a first year EEE student so I will be getting soldering skills soon....

Even so I was hoping if you could tell be if I needed any soldering skills to use the buffers and op-amps provided with the DIY...

Much Thanks!!!

post #149 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash neagi View Post
 

Is the e17 eq active when being used with a L7???

I was thinking about getting this setup...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3=>E17 with L7=>E12/E12DIY(Didn't decide yet)=>XBA-3/HD518/Momentum...

I really want the DIY but don't have any soldering skills yet...

I am a first year EEE student so I will be getting soldering skills soon....

Even so I was hoping if you could tell be if I needed any soldering skills to use the buffers and op-amps provided with the DIY...

Much Thanks!!!

 

you can choose the EQ atcive or not by the LO bypass switcher on the side. and I will not suggest you use E17 with Note3 , we have E18 which designed for this and the E18 will not consume any power from your phone but E17 will.

post #150 of 159
I have had a FiiO E10 for a while now. It served me well while it functioning properly. The headphone jack is, bad.

So I've been thinking of upgrading it instead of trying for some warranty. I use PC, iPhone 5s and iPad. I have quite a large set of headphones but they're pretty easily driven with the Sennheiser hd25-1 75 ohm being the worst of the bunch.

Question: should I look at the E17 or the E18, and why?

I've seen some people suggesting the E17 over the E18 for iDevices, why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: FiiO